Ticos (Costa ricans) in MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by tico_sapri, Jul 9, 2005.

1. tico_sapri

tico_sapri New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Toronto
    What do u think of the costa ricans in MLS

2. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    There've been some solid players from your country here. Maybe a few stars. The ones playing in the league now I beleive are Douglas Sequira, Gonzalo Segares, Andy Herron, Pablo Chinchila, and Michael Umana. The two who have stuck out this season are Sequira and Segares. You should get Segares into your national team now! He's played and started 11 games for our Chicago, which is now at the top of the standings. He's scored 3 goals and 2 assists. He's a tough, hardworking center back who scores big. He may be the top rookie in our league!

3. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except he's been playing left fullback.

4. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Then why do I always see him lined up with Curtin beside him and Sanneh and Guerrero as your outside backs? Maybe tonight was different.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays both.

6. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cj Brown played centerback with Curtin.

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Segares has got to be the front-runner for Rookie of the Year. He should be looked at by the Costa Rica NT, pleasure to watch him

8. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Yes, but only tonight. Normally the Fire's backline is Sanneh-Segares-Curtin-Guerrero.

9. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, but where has Cj Brown played in the nine games he's started?:D

10. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Those were mainly before Segares replaced him and Caballero.

11. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, the reason why Cj Brown has only played 11 games is because he was injured. He started 9 of the 11 games he has played in. The only reason Guerrero played D in a few games was because of injuries to their team. Caballero was an unused sub 5 or 6 times this season.So Segares didn't necessarily replace Brown. Brown is back. So him and Curtin are the central defenders. Segares played in center D because of injuries not because that his position. I hope that clears everything up.

12. I think Segares rocks. He's been great. The best we've had since Bocanegra. What is Segares's citizenship status? Could he play for the US national team, or is he limited to Costa Rica? God knows the US Nats could use some defensive help.

13. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Sorry, you could've said you followed the Fire. Just every time I've seen them that's been the case.
    He's a Costa Rican, and has played for their U-17 team.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Segares is off to a great start this season and I like his play a lot. Frankly, I remember thinking he was going to be one of the steals of the draft this year and sure as shootin' he was considering he was the next-to-last pick of the third round.

In fact, I really thought he would have been a great pick for Colorado, except that the Rapids took Freeman in the first round. Still, what team can't use more left-footed help? In fact Colorado could still have had him in the third, but they went with U. of W. and former U.S. youth player C.J. Klaas.

Given that Klass didn't sign with the team and Segares is now a bonafide ROY candidate, I can't help wondering if Rapids fans aren't asking themselves...

"Klaas, but no Segares?"

OK, I'm off to lunch.

15. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why, but he kinda reminds me of Carlos Bocanegra.

16. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    To me he looks like someone I know only younger. And kind of like Boca I guess.