Ticket & travel info for MLS Cup 2003

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ThreeApples, Nov 16, 2003.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam

For those of you driving from Carson/Long Beach to Hollywood for the Gala Awards on Saturday, I just wanted to warn you about the possibility of major traffic on the 110 near, the 10 interchange. The SC-UCLA game will be ending at about 4:00-4:30 pm. 92,000 people will be trying to get home at about that time.

Plan accordingly.

2. Benlucky

Benlucky New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Albany, CA
    I am squeezing a visit to the Toolbox for the game on the way to a business trip, so I am flying in from Oakland on Southwest #458 to LAX, landing at 9:15 AM. I am renting a car, going to the game, then sprinting back to LAX to fly on the Salt Lake City.

Anyone want a ride with me from LAX to the game, contact me offline.

Go 'Quakes!!!

3. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    12:30 Pacific

4. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Where's the party Saturday night? I mean quakes, post MLS stuff probably.

Hollywood? West Hollywood?

5. Gary Singh

Gary Singh BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 12, 2002
    San Jose
    Is it possible to get from the Carson/Torrance area to Hollywood and back via the subway? Or would that be a ridiculous idea?
    gary

6. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a partial answer to this question... it is very possible to connect from the Red Line (the subway which serves the Hollywood area & downtown) to the Blue Line (the light rail which takes you to LB/southern L.A. County. The connection is at 7th Street Station.

It appears that Artesia Blue Line station is closest to HDC/CSU Dominguez Hills, but you apparently will need to transfer to a bus or take a long hike to get there. Not sure exactly which bus.

EDIT: I would definitely allow for 1-1.5 hours transit time if you do use this route. BTW I know of the LA's much-maligned transit system firsthand, having used it for to get to an internship a few years ago. The buses suck, but the interconnecting subway/light rail systems (Red, Blue, Gold and Green Lines) are quite good. It's now possible to get from Downtown L.A. to Pasadena, Universal Studios/Hollywood or Long Beach relatively smoothly.

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    LA has a subway system? That's news to me.
    :)

Check out www.mta.net to plan your trip through MTA. For example, I "planned" a trip from HDC to the Hollywood Bowl, with an arrival by 5:00 pm on Saturday. Here are the results:

http://mtaweb5.mta.net/scripts/esri...x=50&evaluateButton.y=8&evaluateButton=Submit
    Total time: 1 hour 34 minutes. Cost: $2.34

I guess it can be done. I personally have never used the transit system. You know how us southern Californians love our cars.

8. Quakeblue

Quakeblue New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Benlucky, I tried to email you but was met with a screen stating you have selected to NOT accept email.

Anyhow, a friend and I are flying down on the same flight you are. Perhaps we can split the cost of the car rental? Please email me at osomambo@aol.com. Thanks!

GO QUAKES!

9. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: Re: Ticket & travel info for MLS Cup 2003

Only the Red Line (my personal fave) is a true subway line. The Green and Blue are light rail lines. The Gold Line is the newest and in some ways, coolest line - it's both (a light-rail that goes underground at various points - feels a little like a Disney ride) All the lines link to each other.

Gold - Pasadena to downtown.
    Red - Hollywood to downtown.
    Green - LAX to downtown.
    Blue - Long Beach to downtown.

All the rides (also on the MTA buses and the Rapid buses) are free through Saturday - as a balm for the MTA strike that just ended. Thus, the lines might be a little crowded. It's usually not bad, though. Nothing like New York.

The Red line goes practically to the door of the Kodak. The Blue line goes to a Carson transit stop that has a bus line to HDC. For those who are poor, the Hollywood hostel is 3 blocks from the Kodak and only 15 bucks a night. With free transit and free gala - just buy your ticket and come on down.

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making matters worse, Richard, is that Jen's working on Monday, as well. If I'm making my first trip back to the States since the wedding, I think I'd like to bring my wife with me, so all of you guys can meet her in earnest.

As it is, I'll be watching the game here alone on the live broadcast Monday morning, but I'll be taping it for us, to watch together, again, when she gets home from the school she's teaching at.

I love her, but still not the same without you guys...

:(

11. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For those who will be in LA this weekend, I for sure will be thinking of you both wishing you could be there from Carolina and Oz respectively.

I don't know who's the sign wizard here, but someone put out a dedication placard to both these fellows so that hopefully it will be seen on the telly. Cheers!

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Ticket & travel info for MLS Cup 2003

Amy and I are pretty crafty with some material and can of spray paint . ;)

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Ticket & travel info for MLS Cup 2003

If that gets on TV, that would make my day. And worth taping the game, just to show to my lovely wife.

I think you two are a bit classier and more talented than that. :)

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Ticket & travel info for MLS Cup 2003

Hey! We did a great job with that sign in 2001. And the memories are great! We almost fumed Nap out of his hotel room! :D

15. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without any ventilation it was a total aerosol fest. Just as much as the snowboarders getting the contact high. :D

If there are windows that can be opened or fans I'm up for the signs bit, though a Sharpie and cardboard will do.

Si Se Puede! Cheers!

16. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    are you talking about the supporters bash? it's just east of the 101 on hollywood blvd. If you're looking for something besides that, I recommend Barney's Beanery just off Santa Monica Blvd near LaCienega...they have like 80 beers from around the world.

17. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood

FYI, I think the subway only runs until midnight/1am

18. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Ticket & travel info for MLS Cup 2003

hmmm, we should do that again. only this time we don't have to paint in a room. we could do it in the alley behind my place and not gas Nap in the process.

19. CardStar

CardStar New Member

Hey all! My friends and I go to the Unversity of Arizona in Tucson, and we're roadtripping out on Saturday for the USC/UCLA game, a night of partying with our friends at USC (trust me you didn't want a bunch of sorority girls at the gala) and then the game on Sunday...I can't wait!

20. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hey baby, what's your number? ;)

21. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Actually, you should be calling him Sir Michael of Obsessive Giddiness. He's having the same attention deficit disorders we're all having this week...and he reminded me why.

20 years ago he and I bought a travel package to Vancouver in hopes of seeing the Quakes in Soccer Bowl '83, but the damn bunker-ball of Toronto Blizzard quashed that theory (we went to the game anyway to root for Tulsa Roughnecks). After 20 years we're finally going to get it right and bring the home side home with the hardware.

22. LucciAficionado

LucciAficionado New Member

May 5, 2002
    Hayward

Thank you.

That is earlier then I expected.

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How 'bout Sir Michael of Excessive Height and Giddiness? :p

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Well...yes, he is excessively giddy...

25. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Airfare tip

I subscribe to a free service from http://www.SmarterLiving.com/ which sends me a summary of all the cheap, last-minute, web-only fares offered by the airlines.

Just got my e-mail this morning and the following were on the list:

Price | Depart | Destination/Airline
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    $116 | OAK | LOS ANGELES, CA (LAX): United

$89 | SFO | SANTA ANA, CA (SNA): American
    $93 | SFO | SANTA ANA, CA (SNA): United

$111 | SMF | LOS ANGELES, CA (LAX): United

SMF = Sacramento

I'm not exactly sure how you book these but I'd try the airlines' web sites first -- there may be some info at smarterliving.com, too.

Thought someone here might like to know...

Jay

¡Una Más! ¡Una Más!