Ticket & travel info for MLS Cup 2003

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ThreeApples, Nov 16, 2003.

1. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rent a car.

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Really? If you're just going Sunday? I was just going to cab it...it's not that far from LAX (maybe $30 tops?).

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't spend the extra money to sit in the middle, when you'll end up in our section anyway. Trust me. That's the way these things work. You'll WANT to be with us.

Believe me. In 2001, I bought dead middle seats. I just panicked and wanted to make sure I had a ticket since it was the Wednesday night before the Cup on Sunday. I spent the highest amount on that ticket (which by the way was the same amount I spent on Sunday's corner ticket). Where did I end up sitting? With the Quake fans. And lots and lots of other Quake fans made their way over too.

So save your money and just buy tickets in the section you'll end up in anyway - 126 or 127!

4. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those on a budget, this hotel is within walking distance (1/2 mi) of the stadium:

Hampton Inn Carson Torrance
    767 E Albertoni St, Carson, CA 90746
    Phone: 310-768-8833

Also in terms of parking, those without heavy stuff to carry should consider parking at the mall (South Bay Pavilion) on Avalon Blvd. a couple of miles south of the stadium, and hoofing it there. It's free and you won't hit the heavy traffic going into the stadium. If you need to drive to the stadium itself, get there at least a couple of hours early to avoid the back-up.

5. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting a taxi from one of the airports (LAX or LGB) to the stadium will be easy. Getting one to take you back will be the hard part.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Just depends on where the champagne soaked post-match celebrations are...

7. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am flying down on at 8:54am (landing at 10:12) and flying back at 6:15pm on Sunday. I was planning to rent a car. Even with parking, a rental car for $30 a day still sounds better than $30 each way for a cab. It's possible I may be able to offer a ride to a couple of people. It's also possible that a friend of mine may pick me up at the airport to head over to the game. We still may be able to offer a person or two a ride to the game.

- Scott

8. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

The Torrance Marriott, Diego Serna's room!
    (just kidding ya'll)

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you taint this happy thread with that name! :mad:

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I'd be happy to spray celebratory champagne in his face...Ray Hudson's favorite brand is Andre, isn't it? Let me check that ol' bottle...

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andre?!! That's not frickin' Champagne. That's champagne. Not Champagne. And you drank that stuff?! I've had better stuff than that for New's Years! :p

12. chacarita

chacarita New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Newport Beach
    Saturday and Sunday

So, first off, I was wondering if anyone is gonna go to all the events on saturday. Second, are these avants free? I hope that alot of people go this this game. It may be a while before they have a cup game in California with all of the new stadiums coming. Wheww, two straight of driving from Newport Beach to San Jose, now just a simple 25 minute drive. GO QUAKES!

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    That explains the headache I had for 3 days after that match...

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Saturday and Sunday

I'm going to try to make it to everything on Saturday. But I hate dressing up and I don't have a dress yet for the awards thing. Sheesh! Me in a dress! :eek:

I want to do as much as I can to get the experience, because like you said, who knows when we'll get another one. I will definitely be at the summit and the bash!

I'm so dang excited I can't freakin' wait!!!

15. whole_woman

whole_woman New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    So has there been a verdict on if there will be a charter bus. If so, my husband and I would be 2 more, who'd be interested.

16. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no plans for a chartered bus.

17. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I believe you have to have tickets to the MLS Gala, but the tickets are free, if any are still left. I got mine back when I thought the Galaxy would still be in it. I got them through the MLSnet website.

The Supporter's Bash stuff - I don't think you need tickets to that, or at least not to the Hollywood Billiards after-gala dealywop thing.

But all SJ and Chicago fans should go to the gala - the two top teams in MLS this year will be sure to be honored in various ways.

sjquakefan, LA is the home of cheap couture. Find a bright blue something and go support your team in high heels. It's a different sort of sacrifice for a true fan.

18. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carpool from LAX?

All,

I just bought my tickets yesterday. I'll be renting a car, so if you're interested in carpooling between LAX & HDC, just PM me.

I'm on AA arriving in LAX around 9:30 am and leave around 8:40 pm on Sunday....

Look forward to seeing you at the game...

19. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    WOO HOO. Me self and Sir Michael of Excessive Height will be joining the celebration Sunday.

Raindawg...I'll PM you on ridesharing, we arrive and depart around the same time. Soon as I get our flights finalized I'll re-confirm.

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's a few tips, this will be my fourth trip to HDC this year.

1. It is possible to drive down the day of the game and drive back that night. I've done it in the past, for LA Rams pointyball games (that tells you how long ago it was). Wake up and hit the road by 4 AM, get down to the stadium by 11 or so, catch the game, get back on the road by 4 PM and you're home before midnight. You'll miss out on any postgame stuff but you can be back at work on Monday morning. It is a very long day and having multiple drivers is useful, but for anyone who has more energy than hotel money, this may be an option.

2. The parking situation at the stadium is messy. The Avalon Blvd. offramp from the 405 gets backed up, and the entrances to the stadium get backed up, etc. So get there early. ESPECIALLY if your tickets are waiting at will call, see below. Parking will be $15 so plan that into your budget.

3. The line for will call tickets will probably be outrageous. Get there early and get in line. The game is at 12:30, the parking lot opens at 10:30, if you are not in line for will call by 11:45 or so you probably won't make it into the stadium in time for kickoff. The line at the playoff game was totally out of sight, it was like the line for Indy at Disneyland when the ride first opened. They use the same line for will call and people buying tickets.

4. Security to get into the stadium is not as bad as airport security, but they will stop you from bringing in anything prohibited, so be prepared. Drumsticks are right out. Signs and banners and flags, they will check to make sure it's not offensive, and they will not let you hang it from the railings, you have to hold on to it in your seats.

5. Food and drink in the stadium is really expensive, but you probably already knew that.

I'll see you guys at the game, I'll be right behind Guy's drum.

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Can I call him that too? :D

22. KatieMae

KatieMae New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    OK, I have the Quakes sweatshirt, plenty of tee shirts, earrings, seat cushion, plus blue pants, gloves and poncho (just in case). But where can I buy some stuff this week to bring on Sat? At the ticket office on Stevens Creek? I didn't pick up a scarf or baseball cap at the last game :-(

23. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Why not, he's only 5'19"...

24. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've asked that same question many times, and the only answer I get is over the internet, which doesn't work for me. They have nothing at the head office on Stevens Creek, as I checked it out myself last week.

25. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I bought my tickets for the cup a month ago taking advantage of the playoff pak special the Galaxy had. My seats are in section 101. I wonder how difficult it will be to sneak into the Quake supporters' sections. Or maybe I should stay in section 101: I could lead my section in the "QUAKES" cheer in response to sections 126/127's "EARTH" cheer. Anyone else in section 101?

For all those flying down on Sunday, I hope you do not have delayed flights. You may be in luck. Since I am not flying on the same plane with you, you should be OK. It seems the flights I am on are always delayed.

Happy travels to you all. See you in HDC!

Let's go Quakes!