Ticket to Tokyo: Cameroon v Chile Olympic playoff • 10 & 13 Apr 2021

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by sbahnhof, Apr 3, 2021.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] Cameroon were finalists in the CAF African Olympic qualifying tournament. Their knockout games were narrow victories over Ethiopia, DR Congo and Ivory Coast, but the final in March 2020, just before lockdown, ended 4-4 on aggregate and Zambia won it 2-1 on the ever popular away-goals rule.

[​IMG] Chile have been waiting 3 years for this match(!), for which they qualified in the Women's Copa América by winning second place:

Both games in this playoff, delayed from one year ago, are being played in Antalya, Turkey, due to the continuing Covid-19 travel difficulties. That was also the venue of the recent Turkish Women's Cup. One thing that is unclear is whether it's officially a neutral ground, or if Fifa will pretend it isn't and bizarrely use the away-goals rule? There's no clarification in the rules or draw announcement.

In world rankings it's 51st (CMR) vs 36th (CHL).

1st leg: Cameroon v Chile, 10 April
    2nd leg: Chile v Cameroon, 13 April
    (kickoff times still TBC)

Lechus7, Hexa, Lohmann and 1 other person repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Tannenwald
    @thegoalkeeper

46m
    Does anyone out there know if the Cameroon-Chile women’s Olympic qualifying playoff will be broadcast anywhere we can watch it legally?

3. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    I'm wondering that too! Chilevisión and TNT Sports have it live on Chilean TV and have streamed friendlies before. Though the latter channel has a tendency to post a 4-hour preview then not the match itself (e.g. here's an EXCLUSIVE press conference) :D

If anyone sees a video, please post it - they've set the kickoffs for the middle of the night where I am :sleep:

1st leg: Saturday 10 April, 15:00 GMT / 11:00am Chile & U.S. ET​

(the other Olympic playoff starts Thursday in South Korea)

Squads: Cameroon's Lionnes
    and Chile, La Roja:

blissett repped this.
  4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    toepunt and Lechus7 repped this.
  5. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Games like this are why I really wish we had more intra-confederation games outside of the top 20! Seems like a very fun match, and I'm personally glad that Chile has an away win because I've really hoped to see their growth and getting to the Olympics will be huge for them.

sbahnhof, blissett and toad455 repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, then you should really dig the format of the "play-off tournament" that will qualify the last teams for WWC 2023! :laugh:

sbahnhof and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah I think I posted about how excited I was when it was announced ;)
    But I'm saying we need more!

jagum and blissett repped this.
  10. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #10 Lohmann, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    sbahnhof repped this.
  11. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Looking more and more like Chile will head to their first Olympics.

13. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #13 Lohmann, Apr 13, 2021

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #14 sbahnhof, Apr 13, 2021
    Match reports:

Lionesses crash out of Tokyo Olympic Games race: "The result ended Cameroon's dream for an Olympic return since London 2012, while Chile earned their first ever qualification ticket to the Games this summer." - (Samuel Ahmadu, Goal.com)
    Stopped! En Route To Tokyo: "The lionesses had shown glimpses of their football prowess in the first leg but had all to play for on Tuesday 13 of April after receiving fitness boost from their medical staff about midfield maestro Raissa Feudjio (45 caps) who missed the first leg. Disappointingly for the fans, she was an unused substitute throughout a game which Camerooon dominated in the 90 minutes of regular time." - (Charles Embola, Kick442)

Can we get a better governing body? Please?

"With Cameroon the designated home side in the first leg, the Africans needed to score twice to have any chance of progress."

Yes, Fifa counts away goals in games where both teams are from thousands of miles away on another continent :eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:cry: ..... well, it'll shake up the next World Cup, for sure.

2nd leg match was broadcast on Chilevisión. They aren't kidding about Endler being the poster girl!

toepunt, Lohmann and SiberianThunderT repped this.