Ticket Sales Surpass 26,000 for Match Against the Los Angeles Galaxy, Superstar David Beckham

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by L.A. SOCCER NATION, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

Go die in a fire

haha, j/k

2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    come on, somehting other than a fire.....i hate the fire, i dont want to die reminding myself of that

3. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then go drown in the salt lake.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I wanted to hear from an arse I woulda farted

j/k ;)

5. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    there you go, much better!!!! :)

6. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

i agree with all of that. i was going to say give them back the extra cost, but not the full ticket price. but i think the free ticket idea is better.

i'm also going to see the crowd, not for beckham.

7. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becks out for at least 6 weeks.

8. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to the knee sprain he got in the SuperLiga final against Pachuca. Had the MRI today. Might be back mid-October.

9. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    LA should not have played him AT ALL in SuperLiga. that shit isn't even on TV. they're not getting any publicity, and he's nursing an injury, why risk it?

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it was their one chance at silverware this season.

11. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham to miss game in Kansas City

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the non season ticket holder who bought a ticket, NOT charging for parking to this game would be great. I don't need (or want) a refund.

14. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a comment.

15. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Intertaining"? Dude, you watch too much footy!;)

16. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't bought my extra tickets yet, I guess I don't need to get them now, as I'm sure most of the people I was bringing wanted to see Beckham and the crowd, and now they will have better things to do on Thursday night, like mowing the yard, painting fence, getting ready for Chiefs Red Friday, etc. etc. etc..

17. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have paid the extra money to see the wiz play whether "SOCCER SPICE" was there or not!!!

18. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Becks ought to at least travel to the MLS cities and be there for autographs or something to help make up for the fact that he won't be playing. He sat on the bench in Toronto....why can't he do that so people who paid to see him will at least get a glimpse in his dapper suit? For those that were fortunate enough to get national TV exposure (like us), he ought to visit the PBP booth or the halftime show like he did at the All Star Game.

The Galaxy royally screwed this whole thing up--they need to do something so that everybody who bought tickets to see him won't be completely disappointed. If he can walk, he should travel with the team and do autograph sessions.

19. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy didn't screw anything up.
    MLS is to blame for the LAG schedule.
    I never thought this schedule was a good idea.
    I surely saw their logic to back fill it, but at the same time, very bad too.

Of course, we can view this as MLS way of making up for adding RSL and CDCUSA to the west in 05 thus awarding 4 the playoff spots in the West before the season started(KC getting screwed on that deal)....but anyway.

I guess you can say that DB didn't need to play in the SL games, but LA had this one chance to win something, so for sure you play him. It just so happened he got injured, it happens. At least itwasn't a cheap shot, just an injury from him playing hard.

Also, the Galaxy don't need to do anything to ensure DB comes to games he misses. They weren't responsible for other teams making people buy 4 packs(NE) or charging more(KC). I think that if David wants to, he should. He probably will. But it's up to KC to give something back if they want to.

20. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully people will still come despite the lack of the over-promoted superstar. At least those who have already bought their tickets will at least have the incentive to get any value out of them and the promise of compensation for ticketholders would probably retain even more folk. I think we'll lose a large chunk of the non-local crowd (who won't want to make the drive now)...

In any case, I think that it's important for the organization to try to make the Beckham followers at least somewhat happy with whatever compensation might be given - a lot of these people are probably possible future Wizards fans (esp. since a good portion of the folks comming to see Beckham probably at least had some interest in soccer even if they had no previous interest in MLS). We don't need to leave these folks with a bad taste in their mouths when it comes around that we have a SSS stadium waiting to be filled up.

21. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Has any other club done anything to "make up" for Beckham's absence? First, I don't think anything is really necessary...but, I think a nice gesture would be to lift the parking fee for the night and make it known that no other club has offered incentives but we're the best run club in MLS and we value the fans and we're realistic about what his absence means and blah, blah, blah...

might be a good PR move...just an idea....I do realize that at $10/car or whatever it is, we'd be leaving a bunch of cash on the table.

22. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Good points about some of the crowd that has bought tickets not showing up. The FO needs to come up with whatever their "rebate" program is going to be and advertise it. They should make it a "fans that attend the match will receive..." type of promotion to give folks incentive to still come to the match. Free ticks to the final game of the season or a voucher for half off of next years KC/Beckham game (since they doubled ticket prices this year they would not lose money, just break even, next year) would be my suggestion. Still leaning toward free ticket voucher to last home game of season to give us a beckham attendance boost x2.

23. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Say Screw Any Typr Of Voucher Or Rebate...just Be Glad You Are There Watching A Great Sport With The Most Talented Players In The World!!! We Should Be Paying That Much Just To Watch "the Groin" Play. I Know Becks Is Hurt And Needs Time To Recover(in Relaity He Should Have Done This From Beginning And Started Next Season!) But I Do Want To Point Out That "the Groin" Played With A Fractured Jaw!! Twice!! Ok I Know A Knee Injury Is Roughand I Have Had My Share Of Them And The Surgeries But I Just Wanted To Make A Point Of "screw The Rebates"!!! Hahahahahahahahaha

24. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? Lalas and Yallop are absolutely INNOCENT in all of this mess? I think alot of people would disagree. True, the league made their schedule extremely difficult....I agree with you there. However, I doubt that the league included the two USL "friendlies" that were added to the second half of their schedule, and probably was not involved in scheduling the World Series of Football series that included the Chelsea game (I could be wrong on that...not sure). I am not blaming LA for Beckham getting injured, though the coach can take some blame (and he has admitted to it) that Becks has played more minutes than he needed to with a bad ankle, especially after his little jaunt back to England. Beckham said in an interview that if his ankle had been healthy (therefore not overcompensating to protect it), he would have gone into that tackle stronger and probably would not have injured his knee.

As far as your comment about adding Chivas and RSL to the West....not sure I get what you mean or what it has to do with Beckham, but don't really care to understand, so no need to explain. :D

Personally, I don't think KC should feel obligated to give any kind of refund for the tickets....people who bought tickets to see Beckham already should have known there was a chance he might not play due to his ankle injury. There is ALWAYS a chance a player gets hurt....no team can guarantee that a certain player is going to be on the field. The people can stay home if they want to, but I don't think the FO should have to give refunds. There is still a game that is going to be played. Free parking might be the best alternative for those who still decide to come, since they don't usually charge for parking anyway.

25. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the WSOF, the 2 USL games haven't been played yet and we have no idea who they'd play in those games, as in reserves. So I don't see how that really affects anything - yet.

Can't blame them for trying to make the best of a bad situation from the MLS front office - meaning the schedule. Though, I do not think DB needed to go to England...

ha ha... meaning, that the backfilled schedule of games every 3 to 4 days has/would hamstring LA and any bad start they'd not be able to make it up, thus almost from the get-go, ensuring LA not making the playoffs. Almost like ensuring SJ/LA/FCD/CO making the playoffs in 05 with 2 new expansion teams... I was jost making a funny about it. LA get the benefit one year, screwed this year. That's all.

I won't disagree.