Ticket purchase from UK

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by big_stuartie, Sep 21, 2003.

1. big_stuartie

big_stuartie New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Scotland
    I will arrive in NYC on Thursday for a short break and I'm very interested in going to see the Metrostars play DC United that evening.

Problem is the ticketmaster site will not allow purchase to be processed by anyone with an address outwith the US or Canada as they insert either country into your address and the field is unamendable.

Will tickets be available to buy at the stadium on the night?

Are there any other ways of buying tickets other than through the Ticketmaster site?

I'm due to arrive at JFK at 1615 on Thursday so will only have time to get to my hotel drop off my gear and try to get to Giants Stadium as quick as possible. This also means that I would need some advice as to the quickest way to get to the stadium from the Upper West Side.

2. You'll have no problems getting tickets at the gate. Bring cash though. I think all sales are cash at the gate -- at least that's how I remember it.

Others here can tell you how to best get to Giants Stadium but I think it will be via a bus from the Port Authority which is at 8th and 42nd/43rd street.

If you catch that bus, chances are that you'll be in the company of some Metro fans, so they'll help you get squared away where to go to buy tickets. Good luck.

3. big_stuartie

big_stuartie New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Scotland
    Cheers squire

I'll be fighting the old jet lag so hopefully if I make it I'll be kept awake by the atmosphere and an exciting game.

It'll be a quality start to my holiday getting straight into it

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yeah, I can tell you that it will be tight making it from JFK to the stadium in 3 hours with a luggage drop off. Traffic can be a pain.

From the upper west side you can take the #2 or # 3 subway express to 42nd street and walk over to the port authority on 42nd and eighth. The A/C/E subway is a block closer, but you'd have to likely walk over to Central Park West to get them so it depends on where your hotel is.

The stadium holds 78,000, and 24,000 is about our max crowd. You will not have problem getting tickets. They are generally $ 18-$ 25, depending on where you sit.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Credit cards are okay - they just might not accept them at every window. I often pay with a credit card.

It is going to be tight -- subway from JFK to the Upper West Side could take an hour and a half. Scheduling a car service from JFK to your Hotel may be your best bet for making it on time, but it'll cost about $40 I think, and maybe more if you do it through your hotel.

Once you get to Port Authority, which is probably about 20-30 minutes from your hotel, and maybe less if you take a cheap cab ride, it's about a 20-30 minute bus ride to the stadium if there isn't much traffic.

Heck, someone around here should start a MetroTour company. This is the third visitor in about a week isn't it?

6. psycho killer

psycho killer New Member

May 26, 2003
    NJ
    Which gate do the bus riders need to exit from to get back on the bus?

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  8. big_stuartie

big_stuartie New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Scotland
    I've arranged a bus with SuperShuttle from JFK to "Manhatten Hotels" so we'll see how it goes. Sounds like I could do hotel to Stadium in an hour or so making it sound do-able. Even if I miss the first few mins of the match I won't be too bothered. If its a tight game and ends in a draw it'll go into extra time as I believe there has to be a winner on the night in Major League Soccer, so If that happens it'll make up for missing the start of the game.

Thanks guys for your help.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    If the teams are tied after regulation, you get 10 additional minutes of footy.... and that's it.... unless the Metros score first :)

10. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    If you want atmosphere, go on over to Section 101, the home of the Empire Supporters Club. To get tickets to that section, go on over to parking lot 16-A to ask someone to hook you up. Otherwise, buy a ticket and sneak on over once your in the seats. 101 is right behind the goal where the players come out. Other than that, don't expect any atmosphere in any other part of the stadium Enjoy the game and keep in mind Metrostars-DC United is our derby.

11. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Exactly. Be sure not to leave the match if the gameis tied after regulation. Overtime can be quite excting. Also, don't bring any bags or food into the stadium as the evil security guards will seize it.

12. psycho killer

psycho killer New Member

May 26, 2003
    NJ
    <-- Idiot who left the match a minute befoe Woly's goal trying to beat the crowd to the parking lot.

13. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    ...unless you sit near the Wolyniec fan club.

14. big_stuartie

big_stuartie New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Scotland
    Might help if you told me where you guys are.

Will try to get to the Empire guys as I'm going to the away game on Sunday so will give me a chance meet them etc.

As long as there is plenty of singing, cheering and uproar at bad refereeing decisions I will feel right at home. Must admit to not being a fan of behind the goal seating (ie section 101) as you can't get any idea of offside. But if thats where the action is...........

15. Well, if you like bad refereeing decisions, you are coming to watch the right league for them. Don't worry about missing the offside calls because you are sitting behind the goal. The linesmen will be along the touchline and they'll be missing them too.

:)

16. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Be sure to let us know how the game went.