Ticket Info Thread for WCQ: USA vs Costa Rica in Columbus

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Hamburgler03, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red. Always Red.

DRWCrew repped this.
  2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently tickets went on sale to the general public today. Also, apparently, nobody with tickets to the match has figured out how to sell their tickets on TicketMaster yet.

As of pretty close to 10:00a today, there were 703 tickets available on Ticketmaster. This represents roughly 3.45% of the Wikipedia official capacity of LDCF of 20,371.

Interestingly, all 703 are actual ticketmaster tickets with no secondhand tickets currently being listed. Additionally, Stubhub currently has 353 tickets (give or take for my counting errors) which is roughly 1.73% of capacity.

There are only 30 club seats available and that is really surprising to me.

Looking at the TM patterns of what's available, I don't feel confident in saying that all tickets have been released yet. Heck, in reviewing Q2 for the Jamaica game, there were several sections that had their actual TM ticket counts go UP even though the overall ticket count declined.

3. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    They don't want to allow resell yet as they are still gouging people. My two in 132 (row 7) I am wanting to sell are one row behind "platinum" seats they are trying to sell for $450 a pop. Mine were $140 a ticket.

4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #129 west ham sandwich, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Just as an FYI comparison. My wife literally randomly found my old ticket stub from USA vs Mexico in 2013 a few days ago. Price was $98. Granted, it was potentially in the area that is $250 for this one, but also not far off from the $140 seats for this game (lower bowl, West side, but not club seats).

Take that for what you will. Could be proof of not being that much more outrageous ticket pricing than in the past, or could be proof that it is price gouging.

Edit - took a better look. Closest equivalent in the new stadium arrangement would be East Midfield, which was at $180.

5. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Funny you say that because that game was exactly 8 years ago today. I only know that because my son was born that day :D

crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you name him Edward Johnson Jairadballerina or Landon Donovan Jairadballerina?

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USA in white and Costa Rica in red? That'd be my guess.

Costa Rica has blue with white sleeves. That might be "too close" to our blue/red jerseys.

8. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico prices have been released. Even more sticker shock.

Attached Files:

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda glad we DIDN'T get the Mexico game, now.

Kryptonite repped this.
  10. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction, FYP.

TKyle repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we could afford it, I feel like I'm starting to get priced out of these events--same with college football, though I'm hoping to go to see Penn State as Auburn next year, especially as my nephew is a freshman there and my cousin (an Auburn grad) also lives there. My "bucket list" is still to get to every Big 10 school for a game, but.... I'm missing 5 (Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois, and Minnesota). That's assuming that the Big 10 doesn't expand again. A Buckeye buddy of mine is down to Michigan and Iowa.

12. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    MSU is very underrated and one of my favorites. I went up to Minnesota two weeks ago to cross that off my list, so I am now down to 3 now: Rutgers, Maryland, and Illinois. Technically I've been to a game at PSU, but I don't remember much since I was only 6, so I probably need to go there again.

13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for Hamburglar's answer to YITBOS's question: probably red? Back in the day when Sam's Army was the main (read: only) fan group, they wanted a "sea of red." When AO seemed to take the reins of things, I seem to remember them saying "wear whatever; red, white, or blue."

Most nations' fans of course wear the color of their primary jersey (Spain-red; Holland-oranje; Brazil-yellow, England-white, etc). I've never seen a big push for US fans to wear white, although in the stands it is visually dominating (think white outs at Jackets or Penn State games). I don't think blue works well for all to wear because of too many shades.

Tricky that our instinct as fans is to wear red, but our home shirt is white, meaning Costa Rica would wear their red. If we wear our seizure shirt, they'll wear white. (Side note: does anybody know where one can find out with certainty what jerseys will be worn for international matchups? I realize that probably isn't decided until a couple days or less before the match.)

If you're lucky enough to own a Waldo jersey, I'd wear that. The stripes really stand out in the stands, and IMO they really scream USA. (And IMO should be our jersey identity.) If not, unless fan groups or US Soccer say otherwise, I'd wear red.

Kryptonite and YITBOS repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Maryland a lot. We went in 2019. Really nice campus. The Kirwan building threw me for a bit until I recalled he was at Maryland as well as tOSU. Helped that Mrs. KG's aunt and uncle live close to the campus and were able to get us at the airport.

You'd like a Whiteout. It's quite the experience.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Are the moneygrab prices due to missing the cup in 2018? Pressure from the WNT lawsuit? Or just their natural inclination to sell seats for as much as they can get? It seems odd in that they choose a smaller venue with hopes of getting a pro-American crowd then gouge to the point tickets are available to the public.

16. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to think someone at HQ actually put that much thought into it. However, it's highly unlikely they did anything reasonable. It's in a smaller midwestern venue for the Pro-USA reasons and hopefully colder weather. BUT...the amount of those tix won't help maintain a Pro-USA crowd. Lots of fans will resell I think.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least three of those (Rutgers, Indiana and Illinois) *should* be fairly easy.

I've seen some teams sell packages to try to keep opposing fans away "If you want this marquee game, then you have to buy a crummy opponent." I think Virginia Tech did it with OSU. AFAIK, the likes of Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and Indiana don't, which is surprising. "If you want OSU, PSU, UM, then you have to buy one lesser conference game."

I'm surprised OSU basketball doesn't do it. They'll pack the house for certain games, whereas others have a ghost town feel...but their athletic department is inept in some areas.

18. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TKyle repped this.
  19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would fans be less likely to travel greater distances if prices were higher? If this is true, then would local/semi-local fans have higher chances of getting tickets?

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitt has done it for PSU and ND--but not, I think, to keep opposing fans away but to just sell some tickets. The issue for me is with Rutgers being a "designated rival" so that those games are often played at the end of the season--thus possible winter weather. I've had enough of that in my life. I'd do it for a Crew game, maybe. I was really happy in 2019 when Maryland ended up as a September game (similar situation to Rutgers (my fingers keep wanting to type "Rugrats") and we got a hotel within walking distance. 2024 might work for Rutgers. I'd kinda like to do it before I get too old. Iowa in 2017 was very enjoyable--but we took some time to do some family history for Mrs. KG, whose grandfather was from southeastern Iowa.

21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one that doesn't have any issues with the ticket prices for this round of qualifiers?

YITBOS, ColumbusFTW and stanger repped this.
  22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I DIDN'T, until I saw the prices for the Mexico match. Those are absurd.

23. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Nope. I put in for four for the Mexico match. Factor in what I usually spend on hotel, airfare, and the higher cost of living in other cities, and these games are much more affordable than other non-Crew sporting events I attend.

And if someone thinks $1,000 a ticket for two hours of soccer is worth it, I'm not going to tell them how to spend their money.

hoboken16 and LaMacchia repped this.
  24. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they absurd or are they what the market will bear?

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we'll find out.

kgilbert78 repped this.