Ticket Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Kenp, Dec 31, 2004.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's no problem being a neutral in any part of any ground. It's not as if fans are going to give you a multiple choice test on the club's players and history before letting you in.

A huge number of fans wear no scarf or replica shirt or anything to identify which team they support, so don't think you have to buy anything to blend in.

The only thing that would draw attention would be if you celebrated when the away team scored, which would make you look like an away fan.

2. Nobber

Nobber New Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    If you're coming to watch a game of football why would you go to a dead soulless tourist attraction joke such as the Emirates? Go to a proper ground in the lower leagues, Spend a week in the lake district and come to my club Preston whilst you are there, ill even buy you a pint of Prestons very own Ale (its shite but its the thought that counts).

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  3. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    maybe he wants to see higher quality football?
    saying that, i don't disagree with you about taking in lower league matches if he has the time. you get some great atmospheres (and matches) in all sorts of places.
    not the easiest thing to do, but being in part of most away sections will probably get a good atmosphere.

4. Mailrenegade

Mailrenegade Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Reading,PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you should make every attempt to go see whichever team you support first and foremost. If you support one of the top clubs then make every attempt to see them in action. With that being said, I would then make every attempt to see a lower division game. I am an Arsenal supporter and have seen them play about 5 times over the last ten years. However, I have also seen Barnet, Millwall, and Rochdale play. I think the atmosphere at Millwall was fantastic. There is as much passion at the smaller clubs as there is at the big clubs. With much less ticket aggravation and a lot less money. If I had to choose one ground to watch a match it would be QPR's Loftus Road. Fantastic ground! Visited Deepdale about ten years ago and had a fantastic non matchday experience there. Was visiting the club shop and just asked a groundsman if they gave tours of the ground. He said no but proceeded to take me on a personal tour of the ground, through the locker rooms, etc. It was great.

5. kgriff28

kgriff28 Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be in London in November and looking to go to my first EPL game with my girlfriend. The only two EPL London teams playing at home are Fulham vs. Swansea and Arsenal vs. Southampton. We are simply looking to go to the stadium with the best atmosphere and most enjoyable experience. Obviously, I expect these two stadiums are very different from one another given their size, but for those of you that have been to both Emirates and Craven Cottage, which stadium would you recommend for a live game? Thank you in advance!

6. Mailrenegade

Mailrenegade Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Reading,PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would go the Fulham match. Craven Cottage is a cool stadium and to get there you can take the tube and then walk through a park along the Thames. Good atmosphere and getting tickets should be pretty straight forward. Getting tickets for Arsenal would probably require paying for a membership and then paying for the tickets which would be a lot more pricey than Fulham. The Emirates is a nice large stadium, however Craven Cottage has a more intimate feel and is probably more in the line of a traditional English football ground.

7. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    My wife and I are going to be in London the weekend of September 21. We (by chance) chose a great weekend, as Chelsea, West Ham, and Crystal Palace are all home on Saturday, and Arsenal is home on Sunday. I imagine that West Ham and Palace tickets might be cheaper and more readily available - West Ham plays Everton, Palace plays Swansea.

Any thoughts on which one we should try for? We appreciate any and all advice.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    my vote would be west ham/everton. upton park is a solid, proper English football ground, and it won't be around for long, so that would probably be my choice.

that said, there is a another option that I would consider, particularly if you're going to get a premier league game at arsenal on sunday, and that is millwall at Charlton in the championship. the valley is a cracking little ground, and as both are southeast London clubs, there will be a proper derby atmosphere.

of course, there is another possibility to consider, in the unlikely event that you are geeked on English football beyond what is rational. and that is this: the early game (12:45) at Charlton, followed by a pint and perhaps a bite to eat, and plenty of time to get to Stamford bridge for the Chelsea/fulham west London derby at 5:30.

into this last option, you'll want to factor in the absurd costs of tickets and the presumable strain on your marriage. but i'll leave such considerations to your own sense of priorities.

one last point. if you are considering only one match (that is, either a Saturday game, OR the emirates on sunday, but not both), I would select any of the Saturday fixtures over arsenal v stoke - and not (only) because of my own club alliances. granted, star power and, perhaps, the quality of football (though stoke games don't tend to be a joy to watch) will make the emirates a better choice than all but the Chelsea/fulham game (which will surely be a tough ticket). but all of the Saturday fixtures will provide a better example of the traditional English football grounds and, more than likely, a better matchday atmosphere.

you're certainly right about it being a good weekend for footy in London, though. you've got a handful of decent choices.

eltico repped this.
  9. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Wow, thank you for the wealth of information.

While the idea of two matches in one day sounds exciting, it would indeed cost me more than just ticket money. The West Ham match sounds like the winner.

With any luck I can convince my wife that a quick stopover back in London the next weekend would be an exciting way to wrap up the trip before heading home. This would, of course, conveniently enable our attendance at, say, the QPR match on the 28th.

Thank you again for your wisdom.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    loftus road is brilliant. it's one of my favorite grounds in England. and it's very easy to get to - a couple minutes' walk from either of shepherd's bush or white city tubestations in zone 2 - so taking in a QPR game won't eat into your day as much as getting to and from a ground like the valley, selhurst park, or white hart lane, all of which involve considerably more train/bus/walking/whatever time.

and for what it's worth, whatever insights I possess on the subject at hand are essentially down to having squandered a lot of time and money attending football matches in London ... and that doesn't really qualify as wisdom. ;)

lynne and eltico repped this.
  11. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    She agreed to go to the QPR match. This is shaping up to be an excellent trip. Thank you again for the insight.

12. ravidev86

ravidev86 New Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I found it very difficult to get tickets coming from the US. I went to Man U @ Arsenal and we were able to find someone on Craigslist who charged us $300 US per ticket and gave us the Season Ticket Pass which we had to return to him after the game. I think that is your best bet but it's very risky. We got a beer with the guy the night before just make sure he seemed like he had good intentions.

We also tried scalping a Fulham game (I think they were playing Newcastle) and it was VERY hard to get tickets. Ended up getting scammed by a scalper who sold us a fake ticket for $50 US each.

They are ticket brokers who help out with this process but they are much more expensive from what I have heard.

Hope that helps!

13. mikecan

mikecan New Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
  14. CascadiaFan

CascadiaFan New Member

Mar 22, 2014
    #214 CascadiaFan, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Hey everyone! I’ve been planning a trip to London and, in my packed itinerary, have found time to fit in one football match. The week I go to London is dependent on which match I decide to attend, so I’d like to get some input as to which ground I should go to. Because I only have time to watch one match, I would like it to be a Premier League one. I have two main criteria:

a) As a regular attendee of matches for all three Cascadian teams (Whitecaps, Sounders, and Timbers), atmosphere is the most important thing for me in going to a football match. If I’m going to travel all the way across the Atlantic to see football, I want it to be in the ground that best captures the grandeur of attending a Premier League match. In particular, I find the atmosphere provided by the Timbers Army, with the drums, singing, tifo, and dancing, to be amazing and I want to go to a ground whose atmosphere trumps (or, at the very least, equals) this unadulterated passion. I know that tifo and flag waving are really a continental Europe thing, so I’d like to attend the ground that best captures the quintessential English football atmosphere (even if it’s free of this ultras-style support).

b) I’m attending the match with my partner who’s not really a football fan and has expressed interest in having a comfortable time at the ground. Thus, I’m ideally looking to go to a ground that’s not too run down and has fairly modern amenities. However, I will note that criteria (b) is much less important to me than criteria (a)… if I had to pick between one or the other, I would pick the ground with the better atmosphere.

OK, so I have the option of attending a match at Emirates Stadium, Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, or White Hart Lane. Out of these four, which would provide me with the best atmosphere in terms of singing, chanting, crowd noise, and capturing the quintessential English football experience?

As a note, right now I’m leaning away from Craven Cottage because I’ve heard the fans there are very quiet: I understand that it is very quaint and unique, but if I’m spending thousands to fly to another continent, I want to go to a ground whose atmosphere is better than the Portland Timbers matches that I attend back home. I’m also torn on Emirates Stadium: it seems to have the best amenities and the largest capacity (which might lead the average non-football fan to believe that it would be the best ground to experience English football), but apparently their atmosphere is also a bit flat. Is this true? I have a friend who is an Arsenal member and has agreed to sell me her tickets, so getting tickets wouldn’t be an issue. Are the atmospheres at Stamford Bridge and White Hart Lane visibly better than the Emirates?

If it is indeed true that Craven Cottage and the Emirates have flat atmospheres, which would you recommend between the two remaining contenders in terms of atmosphere: Stamford Bridge or White Hart Lane?

I apologize for the long post; as this will be the very first Premier League match that I will be attending, I wanted to get this right! Thank you in advance!

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    if you want the quintessential english football experience, forget the premier league. frankly, it's become a carnival. and screw modern amenities ... it's two hours, your partner can do without pristine toilets. go to see brentford at griffin park, and stand on the ealing road terraces. have a pint or two before and/or after at any of the pubs on every corner of the ground, meet some folks, and learn what english football is really about (hint: it's not the premier league). they're playing really good stuff right now, the bees, and chasing promotion ... so the atmosphere - and the footy - will be good.

listen to me. i know of what i speak.

no? ok, then ... white hart lane.

16. NERhooligan

NERhooligan Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Going to be in London on the 13th.. looking for two tickets to the Man City match. We both have red memberships there is just nothing on the ticket exchange. Any leads to a couple tickets would be highly appreciated.

17. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope this is the best place to go for some advice. Haven't been on in years after posting (too) frequently in the early '00s. I'm heading over for a week later this month and I'm set for tickets at Anfield, but I will be in London the night of the Arsenal v Galatasaray Champions League match. If I sign up to become a red member will I have a shot at tickets from the website? If not, will I have better success price-wise through the ticket exchange? Would prefer not to pay the big premium on the 2nd hand market that I have in the past. Thanks for any advice!

18. Dark KNIGHT 805

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't know where else to ask so I figured it might be here. Going to Europe during the winter and want to catch the Manchester United vs. Newcastle fixture on Dec 26th. I tried booking through their website but did not have any seats available. Is there a website where they sell tickets like stubhub but for europe? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

19. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Hey everyone, I'm going to be in London in a week and I'm very keen to go to the Arsenal v City game. Could someone recommend a good place to buy some tickets? I've looked at some sites but I'm worried that I won't be getting real tickets.

20. gomelkiev

gomelkiev Member

May 11, 2007
    Hello,
    September 10 going to United vs City game as 12:30, same day Liverpool plays Leicester @5:30pm.
    looking for advice: will I be able to make from 3pm Old Trafford to 5pm Anfield road? ( train/taxi?)
    Also need advice where to get tickets for Liverpool vs Leicester.
    Thanks

21. JuggleMeBalls

JuggleMeBalls Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Formerly Sec 103
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yes you can make this, personally I would spend the money and get a cab but train will be possible too.

22. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Having done a 4 stop on-our-own visit this spring I would say QPR was a good stop on our trip.

We did it last second and it was a nice counter to Chelsea and Manu’s larger stadiums

We always sat with the home fans...figuring it was less risky and more plentiful in terms of tickets

23. Wunder14

Wunder14 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Does anybody know when West Ham releases tickets for home matches, I'm specifically looking at West Ham vs. Arsenal

24. MotorBob

MotorBob Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Agree with all the posts on smaller club environments are now preferred to the Big 6 (and much cheaper).

Craven Cottage is lovely but tame
    QPR, Palace & Millwall are electric on the day

Don't waste your $ at Man City, Arsenal; Wembley or United

Anfield & Goodison just OK

Best two for me were Rangers-Celtic before Rangers went down & a Newcastle match years ago (but it is a stay-over from London)

Put me in country this weekend and I go lower division

25. Collinscalz

Collinscalz New Member

Chelsea
    Spain
    Jun 28, 2019
    What of te tickets for the incoming Super Cup finals between ChelseavsLiverpool in Instanbul, how can I purchase