Thursday night football

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ferenzvaros, Sep 3, 2002.

1. ferenzvaros

ferenzvaros Member

Jul 21, 1999
    NY, NY
    I know the Gints game is Thursday night and that Nathan Hale's is showing the game. Will this affect where people will be watching the Burn match or will it be NH's?

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    NH will throw ANYONE who isnt a Metro fan out and put on the game for us. Thats being said I dont know if theres an official gathering. If theres is Im pretty sure NH will accomodate us.

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Speaking of the NY Giants, they may want to reach out to the Metros with their kicking game in shambles. No punter with a hangtime of more than 3 seconds and a kicker (Owen Pochman) who is so off on his field goal attempts you would think it's Daniel Hernandez finally getting to fulfill his fantasy.

4. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    Nathan Hales is doing a Coor's Light sponsorship for the Giants game tonight. So much for their loyalty to the ESC.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no NFL fan, but are you seriously telling me you'd hold it against them for hosting an Opening Night event that's practically guaranteed to fill their bar with Giants fans, versus staying open for a handful of Metros supporters who wander in for a smoking hot Thursday night matchup against Dallas?

Please.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    If the ESC would have brought in 20 peeps or more I bet they wouldve accomodated us. They're not going to shut their doors in hopes SOME Metros fans decide to stop in.

7. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    One day they can't show the Metro because of a Giants game. Another time its a private party. Certain nights they need a guarantee that a certain amount of people will show just to keep the place open. Other times they want to close 1/2 hour after the Metro game is over. The Metros have given them money so they can show a pay perview match. Metro fans have been coming there consistenly for many years. That is not true for any other fans. I'm not holding anything against them but some people make the owners out to be saints anytime they let us in to watch a Metro game.

8. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    That Giants game was boring as hell, too. It was like it was still exhibition season.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bet that plenty of Yankee, Met, Giant, Jet, Knick, and crap-team-that-can't-even-buy-it's-way-into-the-NHL-playoffs fans have been coming there pretty consistently for a long time.

10. JustSoccer

JustSoccer Member

Aug 5, 2001
    nyc
    I went there thinking it was going to be soccer...

And there were barely 15-20 people there. . . .

at least they were helpful as to where to find the actual game and watch Faria put two away, though I must say if he had wound up any more on his left-footed shot he would have cleated himslef in the back of the head.....

As for Natahan's I guess when they do a NFL promotion they don't allow any other sports on TV... (makes sense)...

11. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Are you on crack? WHat game did YOU watch? Sure it wasnt a GREAT game but it wasn't a boring one either. It was a nicely fought close game.

12. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

Yeah, F them for trying to make some money off NFL fans to make up for their horrific past year and being closed for months because of 9/11.

Bananahead.

13. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    I don't blame them, I guess, for not showing Metros, but I was in the City staying near Times Square looking for an escape to some soccer. NH was the first place I thought of. Oh, well. Next time. At least the RoadHouse put on the game.

14. Ron Ferguson

Ron Ferguson New Member

Dec 12, 1998
    Who's making Carl out to be a saint? He has been given a great deal of praise and support in the last year for the obvious reasons. I talk to Carl every couple of weeks and we discuss all upcoming televised events. The fact of the matter is that, playoffs aside, televised Metro away matches have never been a consistantly well attended event. And the weeknight televised away matches? Forget about it... We planned a big splash for the L.A. match, but when ESPN pushed it to 1am, the reality of even a dozen people turning out was non-existent. As for last night's match, Thursday is Carl's biggest night of the week and with the Giants opener on tap, it was a no brainer that Metro would not be the top priority. If we planned a viewing and there was no place to sit and the music was too loud, there's no doubt that there'd be some knucklehead bitching about that.

I get a kick out of how many people like to complain about stuff like this on Bigsoccer, but ever so rarely do they contact ESC organizers with real ideas about promoting club activities or, gasp, actually volunteer to do something.

Next Saturday is going to be a big night at Nathan Hale's for D.C. away (erm... because like 5 people have showed interest in a trip to RFK :eek: ). Let's see how many of you hard core fans turn out. When you show up for the match, be sure to let Carl know what you think of his loyalty to the ESC. If that doesn't suit you, tap me on the shoulder at the tailgate before the Thursday night game and we can discuss your problem with and/or your ideas about how we promote televised away matches and other ESC events.

15. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

well, this hard-core fan is going to be at the game in RFK....and I bet some more hard-core fans are as well. If I can get out of this thing I have Sat. I"ll drive to Jersey to give you guys a hand with the banner.....