Thursday 29 Feb 2024

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Feb 28, 2024.

1. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six years younger and only played 8 games the past 2 seasons. Meanwhile MLS teams have gone out and spent millions in transfer fees for young in their prime players. The latest signings by the Galaxy and Inter Miami didn't seem to get any reaction from you. Campos, Cuypers & Pedro de la Vega all over 5 million in fees.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No one knows those guys but Pogba is a superstar and World Cup winner.

He is a top, class big name player who would be welcomed by most clubs and leagues.

3. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least 75% of this thread was spent on……….Paul Pogba? What team in a league with a salary cap and roster restrictions is going to make that kind of effort to sign him when there realistically is no guarantee that he’s past his issues? It’s as realistic as the rumors of 10 of the top 15 players in the world looking to sign with Miami.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay... But he's not a superstar. He's a player who has not played for two years other than eight games & was not at the last World Cup because he was injured. At least the old guy won the World Cup and brings millions of dollars to the league in revenue. That's a superstar.

5. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point but 25% of this thread would be a 100% without any discussion

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #31 falvo, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    By comparison to those players you are talking about , Pogba is easily big time superstar.

No one is talking about anything else because there isn’t anything else to talk about….

Anyway, my point is if he were to come, I’m sure it would be at a reduced rate as I pointed out earlier.

7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beyond that, all player contracts are signed with the league, not individual teams. We know that MLS has refused to approve some player signings in the past. IN general, teams have a lot of leeway to sign whoever they prefer. But in a case like Pogba, it wouldn't shock me if MLS vetoes any team that says they want to sign him.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #33 falvo, Feb 29, 2024
    Again, I simply posted initially, I’m wondering if there are any clubs who would take a chance on him?

Honestly, I think they should.

He certainly would not be worse than many players across MLS who come and go on a yearly basis.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to Lance Armstrong. He's currently under a (well-deserved) lifetime ban from cycling, up to and including being prevented from being official media at UCI races to record his podcast. And if you don't think Lance would sue in a hot minute to get that overturned, you haven't been following his career.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Chris Correa is currently permanently banned from baseball due to his role in the Astros sign-stealing operation, Pete Rose is banned for life for betting on games, Donald Stirling is banned for life from being involved in the NBA due to being a racist f***, and Rae Carruth is banned from the NFL for being convicted of conspiracy to commit murder,

But yeah, Pogba's going to have a case that's going to sail through the courts as soon as he arrives. SMH

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #36 falvo, Feb 29, 2024
    Different sports and issues but anyway, I really don’t care much for basketball , NFL , cycling or baseball.

The bottom line is , I still retain that neither FIFA , UEFA, Concacaf or anyone else for that matter, can prevent a player from earning a living long term.

At least not for the reason Pogba was banned for.

Maybe for a year or even two but not four.

Again Zungul played against FIFA’s and Yugoslavia’s FA’s wishes and they didn’t show up because they knew they would lose.

That’s why he played and became the final MVP.

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all wildin' today!

falvo repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They like to argue… :)

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also don't seem to care much about the law, but you seem to opine on it anyway...

sitruc, Sal Paradise, Minnman and 3 others repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #40 falvo, Feb 29, 2024
    There is simply no comparison .

By this reasoning , the law can and will ban anyone the right to earn a living just for using drugs.

If that were the case, most criminals and ex convicts who committed worse crimes , also while using illegal drugs would be banned from earning a living.

Pogba’s issue and ban isn’t even close to being comparable.

16. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told you this once I already and you didn’t get it the first time so I’m not going to bother repeating myself.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First of all, what's your problem?

Secondly, I am merely having a civil dialogue talking about signing a potential , top player but if you have an issue with me or my post, take it off the board.

18. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean obviously you’re just doing this for shits and giggles but I’m in a mood to play.

1. You’re confusing FIFA with “the law.”
    2. Pogba has every right to earn a living just not as a soccer player. Imagine someone convicted of embezzlement being banned from accounting for 4 years. Same principle: in our line of work here’s a thing you can’t do, you did it, so now you can’t work in our field for a period of time. The US’ unemployment rate is really low. If Pogba got a green card he’d have no difficulty at all getting a job at the mall.

jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #44 falvo, Feb 29, 2024
    Yes and I pointed out my reasons as well on how he can easily get a work permit.

I've seen many people and players come and work in the USA with worse records and no one ever banned them.

20. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier I pointed out that FIFA has and can sanction FAs for political interference. Then you come back and ask the same damn question.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It actually initially wasn't meant to be a quesiton but more of a statement.

I still retain and believe FIFA can't and won't do anything.

22. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But to play in any league within the FIFA umbrella you have to have that playing card. He won’t have one.

As to your second paragraph it really does seem like trolling at this point. You continue to confuse FIFA with US laws and it’s a dumb mistake to make once let alone make over and over again.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No one is trolling.

FIFA can't dictate anything.

I stated this initially and I've listed my reasons.

Again Zungul was permitted to play and FIFA failed to show up in court.

I don't get why there is such a backlash anyway, because MLS could easily use a player like Pogba.

I think most leagues would welcome him.

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's not making a mistake. He's done this same bit several times over other obvious issues. He argued endlessly on citizenship status, continually making incorrect claims about how long it takes to become an Italian citizen even after having it linked for him several times. Even before unhiding his posts I knew exactly who it was by the way you guys were responding to him.

sitruc, JasonMa and xtomx repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #50 falvo, Feb 29, 2024
    That isn't true and I'm not arguing.

I am trying to have a civil dialogue, talking about signing a top player in MLS.

That isn't arguing and you know nothing about me!

As far as having Italian citizenship, I easily got it through the Italian general consulate in San Francisco and am a dual citizen.

That is why I worked and lived in Italy for years.

Maybe you should find out more about people before you start attacking them for no reason.