Thunder to join the MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by prk166, Sep 12, 2007.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with you Adam on everything other than it being a big media event. That Sunday there is only one game that'll matter to the local media and thats Vikes vs. Packers. Vikings against anybody else and yeah Copa will get some solid pub but against the Packers the best we can expect (IMO) will be a kick-off time in the back pages of the sports section in that Sundays paper... Actually if CJ does see David or Victoria at a restaurant she may mention the game too.

2. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

you would rather have an MLS team go to play a game, not against your city?

That's really odd.

3. adam

adam Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Minneapolis
    I think you're missing the point...

For an event that was being billed as a big time game featuring top level teams and international competition, it is (to say the least) a let down to find out that it's basically going to be a kick around with a local team that finished second from the bottom in their league and hasn't played in 2 months.

Sure, "Copa Minnesota" was nothing more than a money grab from the get-go, but at least the fans would've gotten something in return.

We're a city of over 3 million people that rarely, if ever, gets a chance to see the game played at its highest level. Copa Minnesota, though an exhibition, likely wouldn't have provided stunning world class soccer, but it was a chance to see the game at a much higher level than we normally get to see.

I'll probably end up going anyway, if for no other reason than supporting the local soccer scene, but I can't help but feel a little let down.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy seeing MLS squads play the Thunder. The US Open Cup game against San Jose a few years ago was one of the better live sporting events that I've seen. To compare that game to this fiasco is apples to oranges.

4. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Ok just making sure.

If Torfc came to montreal and played Club Brugge or someone I would be pissed.

5. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

none of the big time teams are availible to come and play because they're in the middle of their season. I don't know why that's such a missed opportunity. If we tried doing this in the summer the twin cities would be really far down the list behind seattle, chicago, NY etc. in terms of hosting high profile teams. And we only have the metrodome.

6. SuperRookie

SuperRookie New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Eventually we will have an option of having large games played at the UofM stadium.

My biggest problem is still the failure of the Thunder to take advantage of the original publicity of Beckham. They originally were talking about $40 for the cheapest seats!

That is just sad when they think people are going to pay for that. It bugs me to think that people are going to get priced out of supporting a local squad.

The more I think about it I am okay with the Thunder playing the Galaxy. i was hoping for an international team, but what can you do.

In the meantime I will continue to just watch games on TV and refuse to pay $20 cover at Brits.

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sponsored by St Pauli Girl!! =)

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Well I'm pissed cause I payed 130 dollars for two tickets in the lower bowl thinking we were going to play boco juniors or someone else. They could have at least given us TFC, RSL or Colorado. Not the crappy Thunder. Now to top it off if i had just waited I would have saved 100 dollars. I want my money back. I'm going to the Dropkick Murphy's concert at the Myth instead of the game now out of spite for Ticketmaster and the Thunder.

9. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would the team's cheer/dance team then be called the Twin Titties?

sorry about the post, but i couldn't resist.