Three years ago today...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Nov 23, 2011.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A wild night to be sure.

The thing I will always recall was my totally unexpected reaction as the clock hit two minutes to play. I totally broke down. Tears streaming down my face. Couldn't make words come out of my mouth.

And as some of you know - I'm not exactly a weeper.

3. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS CUP Champions + wife's birthday = one helluva sex night!!

4. HbaldSguyH

HbaldSguyH Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best day, season, year, moment, match....of my life!

I could write a book about my day in LA and the longest chapter would definitely be about getting kicked out of a cab with Steven Lenhart that night!

5. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    While I wasn't in LA for the game it was still a great day. No doubt it was the best sports day of my life and it is unlikely to be topped.

6. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I watched the match at Fado Easton. I left my wife and daughter at Sesame Street Live at Nationwide Arena and drove separately to Easton, early, to get a table. Despite the fact I was there hours early, it was packed and the only seating available was outside (they did have a big screen outside). It was cold as shit. The place was PACKED. I had several pints of Guinness. In retrospect, what I guess happened is they (Fado) ran out of glasses and were frantic to get them clean. So, instead of a thorough washing, were doing the old dunk and dry. Anyhow, one of pints was apparently NOT clean and I picked up someone's god damn throw up out of your ass AND mouth bug for 24 hours. So the Crew wins the cup, it is awesome, I go home without a voice and tell my wife about all of the awesomeness and then go to bed. Then, three hours later, start the repetitive process of throwing up, crawling back to bed, laying down, crawling back to the bathroom, rinse repeat. Of course the next day, I have to call in sick to the office and I am the only Crew fan anyone knows and they all just assume I tied one on too tight the night before.

Still, a night I'll never forget.

7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That day and weekend were pure magic. I remember the after party, hanging with all the players and the Hunt brothers and plenty of other fans... it was the perfect cap on an amazing season, who knows if we will ever capture lightning in a bottle like 2008 again... I'd like to hope so but my heart of hearts says no... but at least I have the amazing memories of that season, that day, that night...

8. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best sports night of my entire life. To be able to see your team win the championship in person, in beautiful weather, then celebrate with the heroes on the field later that night, simply unbeatable. Plus, regardless of whatever was in it, I drank from MLS Cup. How many people in this league can say that?

9. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Frankly, I can't remember much of that night. I am sure i enjoyed it as my beverage receipt proved later...

I remember the DVR getting an 11 hour work out the next day.

10. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember this night vaguely. I got home from basketball practice just in time to see Frankie's header. I went nuts. Sadly, I was not of age at that time, so my celebrations were quite less drunken that most of you guys'. Lucky bastards. :D

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not really. I'm still hungover.

12. AJStank

AJStank Member

Columbus Crew
    Mar 22, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched at a friends house on campus with a large gathering Crew fans. When Frankie scored my buddy ran down to grab two bottles of cheap champagne and we toasted the victory. I cried, not gonna lie.

That game was special on a lot of levels but it hit me particularly because I lost my best friend in April. We started going to games together during college and the dark years but still had a blast. He never got to sit in Nordecke. Our last conversation was the Tuesday before the Chivas game that we won 4-3 and he was asking if I'd be around to go to the game because he'd be in town (he was in grad school in St. Louis) but our last conversation was all about the Crew and how we felt good about the young season. That Friday I got the call that he had passed away. I always felt like he was with the club that whole season. The day of his funeral we went to DC and won. His birthday was the EC Final and I knew there was no way we were losing that day (bawled on my couch for that one too). I had little doubt that we'd win MLS Cup but I just wish my friend was there watching with me. Hokey story, I know, but I'll never forget that season and not just because of the Cup.

13. Macgruber

Macgruber Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have an incredible story to tell about it, but it still gives me chills what we did that year.

There wasn't a doubt in my mind that we would win, especially after coming from behind in the ECF. I remember after we won the East, I heard people at the stadium talking about going to LA. It never really hit me until we won it all. It was indescribable.

I miss that team. We'll be lucky to ever see anything remotely close to the Crew '08 ever again. I'm so glad I was around to witness it. Damn now I can't wait till next year!

14. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxian's tailgate, the Chivas Union Ultra drummers one row behind me in Nordecke West sounding off for the Crew. Frankie lifting the cup... perfect end to a great season.

I want that feeling again! (This time in the house that Lamar built.)

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until the day I die, I'm going to be pissed off that I didn't get to make the trip out for that match. Two days after the ECF v the Fire, and before I could book my flight and make arrangements, a brake cylinder in my car exploded, and I had to put like $350 of repairs on it. Couldn't afford to do both.

So I watched the game with a big group at StudioWhateverNumber and had a blast. I remember bear-hugging my buddy Brian right up into the air at the final whistle.

I also remember being the second-best team on the field for the first-half hour and being lucky not to be down. I remember Moreno scoring a goal that probably should have been saved. I remember feeling fortunate, and wondering if fate was finally working for us instead of repeatedly kicking us in the junk. And questioning myself on that point when NYRB tied it up.

And when Marshall immediately answered, I thought, "F*** you Jobu, we do it ourselves.". There was no doubt in my mind right then and there that the match was over.

Hejduk's goal was the perfect clincher. It was a wonderful pass from Schelotto, and because it was a slow roller into a vacated net, it provided that feeling of anticipation and suspense before it finally went in and sealed the trophy.

Great to watch on TV, but I'm envious of the fortunate members of the SoCal Nordecke.

16. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best days of my life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving.