Three Lions 2022

Discussion in 'England' started by Ofori, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Considering Qatar is in less than a year and a half from now well starts in November of 2022, it begs the question of which players can you see breaking into this team? Or will Southgate still be manager by the time Qatar rolls around?

2. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Hopefully Southgate will have seen the light by then and will have Grealish as the first name on the team sheet :)

If not then I hope we have a new manager.

I expect Grealish , Bellingham and White to be regular starters along with Mount , Foden , James , TAA and Watkins

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    With only one season I doubt there'll be much change in the side, barring of course injuries and dramatic changes in form.

Given England's lack of midfield depth Oliver Skipp's season will be interesting. He showed he has a lot of talent and has a very continental style, basically a Winks with a higher potential ceiling. Will be very much dependent on who Spurs manager is for how well he's integrated. Santo probably wouldn't be much use for him.

W.A.S.P., roverman and Toosaul repped this.
  4. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Good call Skipp is brilliant. I would stay with Norwich if I was him, rather then risk not being appreciated by whoever new spurs boss is. I was disappointed Billy Gilmour deal went through, probably means they expect to lose him.

roverman repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Santo going to Spurs is probably going to be bad news for Spurs youngsters to be honest, can’t see him giving chances to them. Skipp might be better off looking for another loan move to try and establish himself. Maybe somewhere like Crystal Palace under Viera.

6. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Of course Southgate will still be manager when the tournament rolls around, it's absolutely nailed on.

I think domestic transfers will play a lot into it, it will be superb if Grealish joins Man City as that will enable him to take his off the ball game to the next level.

Kane is the one who worries me, is 27 but seems to have a lot of miles on the clock - but no-one else behind him.

RIce getting a big move would be great too

roverman and ChristianSur repped this.
  7. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Oh gosh its almost confirmed it is Santo. That is terrible news, he won't play a game for sure.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Macca, in his talking head spot yesterday said. “Southgate had a better team on the bench than he had on the pitch!”
    So will Southgate still be in charge? Of course he will, this is England. But said, we did have some talent on the bench but can we make a team out of them to play the Southgate game.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully Bellingham starts and we have a more attacking lineup

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Tariq Lamptey if he comes back in the same kind of form is someone definitely talented enough to be in the squad, but with so many RBs it won't be easy for him.

Greenwood you would assume gets in as another #9.

Ben White will establish himself as a CB option I think.

In terms of players coming out of nowhere, maybe James Garner could establish himself at United next season but I don't see it.

roverman repped this.
  11. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    As regards Greenwood ..
    This was only yesterday:-

Jamaica want Mason Greenwood to switch nationalities for 2022 World Cup qualification

The Manchester United forward qualifies for Jamaica through his parents and could still switch countries despite having played for England

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That isn’t going to happen, there was nothing in the article to suggest it’s likely to happen other than wishful thinking on Jamaica’s side.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  13. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Tom Davies perhaps. I like Rice, Philips and Henderson but that central midfield is more or less up for grabs.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Bellingham will be another year older and gaining more experience so wouldn’t be surprised if he was pushing for a start come 2022.

15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I think Tammy Abraham can be the solution to our lack of CF depth as long as he leaves Chelsea and gets games.

CB depth can be improved a lot with White, Tomori and a back fit Gomez.

I suspect Southgate is quite keen on his CM quartet. It'll take someone a lot better than Tom Davies to disrupt that.

2022 will be back to 23 man squads so there'll have to be cuts even from the current group. Sancho, a full back (James, but the madlad Gareth could go Chilwell) and Coady are the ones I think would be cut today if the squad had to shrink for the round of 8.

Jenks repped this.
  16. MUFC20

MUFC20 Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The squad is in a good place, especially in attack and the fullbacks. CB is also not a huge area of weakness, with Maguire, Stones, Gomez, and White that’s a solid group.

The main issue is the midfield. I think Southgate rates Bellingham and will begin to integrate him into the starting lineup for the qualifying matches. Another DM is also needed and hopefully Skipp or James Garner can have a good season to push to get into the squad but it will be tough.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  17. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Na Abrahams just seems to be a good level below Watkins , Bamford and DCL imho

I heard a rumour that he will be loaned out if they can’t get a buyer for him.

Sounds like Tuchel will be bringing his own players in soon .

Even Billy Gilmour has been loaned out to Norwich today - I thought he’d be starting next season in the team

18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    One's to watch

Skipp
    Garner
    Toney
    Tomori

roverman repped this.
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Probably Eze also but just depends on how he recovers from his horrible injury and whether he can get back to his pre injury levels.

AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    If we're talking about the team rather than the squad, and Qatar rather than the longer term, then I tend to agree that there won't be much change. If Sancho can finally bring his club form to England then he'll be difficult to leave out, and once Bellingham gets a chance to start, I think he'll be hard to shift, but I'm not sure if he'll establish himself by November 2022.

The other one I'd mention is Curtis Jones. He has every chance of becoming a regular starter for Liverpool as soon as next season and it won't take him long to make the England squad when he does. A squad place seems more likely than a start at the World Cup, but I'd have said the same about Saka this summer.

White's a good shout too.

roverman repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Emile smith rowe really came on for arsenal this season too

roverman repped this.
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, Curtis Jones is a very good shout especially if Klopp plays him as a centre midfielder then he’s in for a good chance.

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Tomori and Eze are good shouts, though I'm not sure Southgate really trusts the former on the ball.

24. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Some interesting youngsters coming through as mentioned above

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We have good strength at cb. Tomori gomez white maguire stones mings . Great strength at both fullbacks. Hopefully Pope can come back. Henderson pickford Johnstone gets a move. Toney could easily step up. Greenwood dcl. Great options out wide. Harvey Barnes. Eze . Just central midfield could use a couple of playmaker.