Three Ideas for a Better American Soccer Fan

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Westbrook Diarist, Dec 26, 2008.

1. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :eek: For god's sake, please take a class in proper grammar and sentence structure! I had to read through your post 3 times to figure out what the hell you were trying to say. Try using some commas and periods once in a while instead of endless ellipses. It's difficult to tell where one idea ends and the next begins.

That having been said, I do agree with your point. (I think) :p

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Since you made yourself read this & you understood the post can you write a cliff notes version for me? :)

3. adambchildress

adambchildress New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    basically song I am saying why do we need to uneuropeanize soccer to make it our own? Why cant we use the word pitch? Why cant we use the word kits? Why cant we sing at a game instead of chant the same ol slogans that we say at every single sporting event regarless of the sport..."lets go red wings....lets go tigers....lets go pistons. I think we should embrase the beautiful things English and europeans have already brought to the game throughout their long history instead of stripping everything down and making it American, which the American way is now the corporate way and thats the last thing I want in the beautiful game. Next thing you know the teams wont come out together they will run out seperatly with the home team comming out of a tunnel surrounded by smoke and loud music, jumping up and down...really is that what we want to happen with soccer?

4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

Strange, I always thought soccer was Latin American. :)

5. adambchildress

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i certainly think we can take from there soccer culture as well

6. Stanley79

Stanley79 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Utrecht
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just look at the fans in Europe and you know how...
    For some Casual and Ultra culture, take a look at www.ultrafanshop.de

7. LunaVC

LunaVC New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    London / Essex
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How come Americans can play tennis like the rest of the world but when it comes to soccer they try to introduce their own rules and play-offs and shit and expect the rest of the world to watch that.

It's the main reason why no one pays attention to other American sports. I understand it's a big country and flying around watching games is a bit much. I just think what's more important to the MLS, making the game appeal to NFL fans and getting them into soccer or being strict and just saying "this is soccer, this is what it is, it's like this all over the world, this is how it's done" otherwise you're going to end up with Americans playing their soccer and the rest of the world having football. If you could attract Europeans to watch it on Sky or Cable that might bring in some cash no? And more importantly, credibility?

8. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is nothing wrong with playoffs!!! many other country have different ways of crowning its champion... its not always the boring singletable no champion system. Plus Playoffs is what drives america, for a team to have a chance at a Championship where a newcastle or a ashton villa or west ham who never get a chance to win the premiership because the system doesnt let them get a chance......I think each country that has a decent soccer playing and fan populus have their own way of contributing to a great thing why cant the US? and there is no problem with calling it soccer. thats our way of looking at the game.

9. LunaVC

LunaVC New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    London / Essex
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose it's a good thing because if you want to watch Galaxy play DC it's like a short holiday rather than just a day trip to see your team and can be expensive etc.
    People have been talking about splitting the Premiership for years because of the top 4 etc and introducing SPL teams like Celtic Rangers.
    TBH I think the article is a bit snobby itself. Why would anyone care if another American referred to the field as pitch? In tennis it's called a court or lawn and in gold it's a course? Just adapt ffs.

The only problem with this is once you have these soccer fans in the US, when it comes to watching the world cup and people are talking about the pitch etc they ain't going to have clue what's going on.

10. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who are snobs about calling it "soccer" are just as bad as the ones saying it should be called "football", same for pitch/field, kit/uniform. You know exactly what they're referring to with either term and there's no need to be an ass about who chooses to say what.

It is with this in mind that I do have one suggestion...

[​IMG]

11. adambchildress

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I am American
    Second its Aston Villa---just teasing I mispell all the time and probably will this post.
    Third- Football(soccer) does not need a playoff system...they have the champions league,fa cup, euro cup, and carling cup for that. League Champions are about being the best team over the course of a season (which Aston Villa with their win today is only 2-3 pts out of number 1.
    Fourth- It is us Americans that ruin great sports...are we that insecure that we cant adopt termonolgy from the countries that developed the sport?
    Fifth- I love the USMNT,EPL, and MLS above any other American Sport...in terms of fairness socceris heads and tails better than the NFL.

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS doesnt need to be like the ePL or Argentina thats wher you are wrong MLS is America's league and its fine they way it is.

13. adambchildress

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you will notice above I was responding to someone saying the EPL needed a playoff system...I like the MLS it could improve I am glad they got rid of the countdown clock and shootouts...if England started an NFL League but changed some of the rules we would say oh thats not really football...it goes the same with soccer..it has been around a long long time and there is no need to make it "American" which is wht they attempted to do with the shootouts and such.

14. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if that was really the case then every single soccer league would be just like the EPL but its not... every team will have similar styles and everything would be the same but its obviously not.... what might work in the EPL wont work in MLS, you always gonna have different ways of things doesnt mean that its gonna be the right way.

15. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, now your just being really dumb. Based on NFL Europa, no one would even give a damn England had a league, let alone did things differently.:eek::D

Better example, by the way, CFL. Three downs, noticeably larger field, 20 second play clock, ROUGES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

And guess what, it's still gridiron. Widely accepted as such, though not many Americans actually know there are different rules for the CFL.[citation needed]