Thoughts on DC United’s new stadium?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by YoungRef87, Jan 8, 2018.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

BBVA Compass Stadium is on the other side of US59/I69 from downtown Houston but it is an elevated highway so you can walk, ride the light rail, or drive right under the highway as if it isn't even there. Most of the official Minute Maid baseball stadium parking is on the same side of the highway as the soccer stadium. People easily walk back and forth. There are now as many bars and restaurants on the EaDo side as there are on the downtown side near the baseball stadium.

don gagliardi repped this.
  2. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apples to Oranges, my friend. Re-read my post. I compared the location to the stadiums that serve the other old cities of the Northeast Corridor. I said that while Houston and Atlanta are nice, the land use politics are nowhere near as tricky as in the Northeast Corridor.

Buzzard Point's location is unmatched in our region of the country, the big east coast cities of the Mid-Atlantic. The ones that are the cradles of American industrial capitalism. The ones that had thriving manufacturing, finance, services, and infrastructure when Houston was an unsettled bayou. The ones whose urban cores have been developed and the land spoken for since the 18th century. The ones that have a walkable street grid and a lack of highways in their centers. They also all have sports fan cultures that regard anything as too far from the core as minor-league.

The Red Bulls are at the outermost radius from Mid-town Manhattan that New Yorkers regard as a location that has enough cache as to be worth their time. Even still, many New Yorkers refuse to take a subway under a river. That's why the league founded NYCFC. Those New Yorkers will take a different subway under a different river because they're weird like that. The Union are also in the outermost reaches of a radius from Center City that Philadelphians regard as major league and that's only because multiple highways converge there and it has a SEPTA regional rail station.

This is not to say that Houston and San Jose don't also have nice stadiums with good amenities. That is great and I think it's important that we all appreciate all the places in our great country and growing soccer league.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was mostly just clarifying the apparent contradiction between your claim that Houston was on the wrong side of the highway and don gagliardi's statement about being able to walk from downtown to the stadium.

However, now that you bring it up your post said "As we said before, Buzzaed Point is an excellent location that will be unmatched by any other SSS in the country for central location and activity in the vicinity. Perhaps Portland could compete. There isn't much in walking distance of the LA Coliseum/LAFC, Houston is on the wrong side of a highway, Stade Saputo is cut off by a river, the Fire, Red Bulls and the Union are decades from seeing any development in their respective forgotten satellite cities. Others are in car-dependent areas with no transit."

I don't see any qualifier in that statement about the Northeast Corridor. I see "unmatched by any other in the country..". You seem to be saying that Houston being on the wrong side of the highway is what disqualifies it from the overall competition.

4. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't poo-poo the Buzzard Point location. It is a unicorn with all the characteristics that we all said we wanted. That's an excellent location by any objective standard. It is incredibly hard to get a centrally located stadium in the old cities of the Northeast corridor. Look at where the stadiums in Philadelphia, New York, and Boston are located! Look at where Chicago and Los Angeles are located!

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ok. So you didn't really mean "unmatched by any other in the country.." You meant unmatched by any other location in the Northeast Corridor even though you immediately compared it to Portland, LA, Houston, Montreal, Chicago, NY, and Philadelphia.

We were supposed to know that you were only comparing it to Philadelphia, New York, and Boston because in a later paragraph you said that it was hard to get a centrally located stadium in those cities.

I'll try to remember that in the future.

6. miketd1

miketd1 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    You could argue that the Union is more accessible to the suburb fans they are trying to attract. Similar to the Niners and Braves stadiums.

7. Kieran Fischer

Kieran Fischer New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Costa Mesa, California, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll miss RFK, but I'll try to catch a game at Audi Field next time in DC. Hopefully it'll beat the nostalgia I have with RFK.