Thoughts on a new stadium in the future?

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by RAL_United, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this has been discussed a little in the MLS Expansion forum, but I’ve come around to the thought that Carolina is best fit for NASL. Although, I’d like to see the day where NASL has 20 teams, averages 12-20k attendance per game, and has talent that makes them competitive with MLS and other leagues in friendlies & tournaments.

Anyway, I think that potential of the RailHawks is limited by their Cary location. Their ability to draw more fans ( --> corporate sponsorships --> new owners --> better on-field talent --> even more fans) would be greatly improved by a downtown Raleigh location. The simple fact is that Cary is too obscure of a location for what is a fringe sport for the majority of sports fans in this area. A stadium in downtown Raleigh would elevate their visibility to the region substantially! And casual sports fans would be drawn by the gameday experience of the shops, restaurants, and bars around the stadium.

Here is an idea I put together … http://goo.gl/maps/kzyNR

The location of Peace, West, and Capital seems to be a perfect fit for access (next to Capital Blvd & 2 proposed light rail stations). Not to mention right between two railroad tracks (RAIL hawks!!). The stadium would have to be multi-purpose to host high school football/soccer championships, NCAA championships, concerts, and maybe a pro lacrosse team. The city’s proposed park at Devereaux Meadows could also have fields used for community use and a team academy training area.

2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Barring some rich sugar daddy with MLS ambitions, the Railhawks will be at WakeMed for the foreseeable future.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so old I remember when Raleigh's minor league team played at a baseball field at Devereux Meadows. The core of the Pirates team that won the 1971 World Series passed through there.

That would be an unbelievable location for such a field, assuming Raleigh redevelops the whole area with nightlife. And that area is certainly ideal for the next step of downtown turning into a great place to hang out. But I don't see that kind of cannibalization working out.

4. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, thats the thing. Probably couldn't use any Wake County funding for the stadium cause that would leave Cary out to dry. It would probably have to be a combination of City funding (addt't hotel tax?) and private funding. It would be unfortunate for Cary, but at some point the RailHawks have to lookout for themselves. Maybe there could be some kinda revenue sharing from Raleigh to Cary to ease relations and allow a County bond to help pay for it. Btw, Panthers just got something like $200M from Charlotte(?), if Raleigh could pony that up we could easily build a soccer stadium.

Regarding MLS, I say no. I'd rather become a perennial favorite in a stable NASL. Trying to compete for players as a small market with Seattle, NJ, LA would be an unreal.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can't see a downtown Raleigh stadium as being rational. If they build a stadium in downtown Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill might as well be Greensboro as far as regular fans go.

My guess is that somewhere near the airport between I-40 and U.S. 70, possibly off of I-540 would be the most accessible to the largest percentage of the area's population.

My personal favorite would be in downtown Durham near the DBAP, but then that suffers the reverse of building in downtown Raleigh.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  6. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some folks don't know how good they've got it.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Given a choice between WakeMed Stadium and Regions Park, I'd take WakeMed every time.

8. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. I love that I can drive 40 minutes and see professional soccer. Add the fact that Cary built a great SSS back in the Courage days, we have it better than most NASL teams. As for the idea of competing with big markets in MLS, that is why you want to be in MLS. In MLS, small markets get a portion of the profits of big markets. In NASL, if San Antonio draws 15000, we don't get a dime.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well TV money is why you would want to be in MLS.

Gate redistribution only really affects Seattle (they pay out) and very little gain for most other teams.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    TV money, at the MLS level, isn't what you think it is. National sponsorships, and the cash flow from SUM are why NASL ownership would want to join MLS.

As far as fans, none of that really matters. We don't get any of the TV money. In fact, our ticket prices, concession prices, parking fees would all likely go up.

11. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. I've heard MLS players express envy over the quality of the field at WMSP.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not enough to sign with Carolina instead of an MLS team.

But, yes, WakeMed has some of the best manicured lawns in the country.

13. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously. Unless you're WSW, there are a million reasons to prefer an MLS contract to an NASL one.

14. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone go on the stadium tour today? How'd it look?

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Stadium tour?

16. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did a tour for the season ticket holders, but I couldn't go. With Vancouver coming up, We'll get to see it soon anyways.

17. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Did you go to the game? Just wondering about yours or anyone else's thoughts on the stadium upgrades at Wakemed and attendance for the game today.

18. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked nice. The new upgrades are cool and the sightlines from the upper deck are great. I don't know about attendance, it'll be interesting to see if there is a number put out there.

19. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3,253 this afternoon.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know how often they hope to fill up the place. Maybe the Pumas game?

But I wouldn't want to be in the upper corners for any games they turn the lights on. The lights are maybe 15-20 feet from the upper corner seats. If you up there, you'll be in the haze halo from the lights, including all the bugs, bats, and nighthawks.

Speaking of lights, the new upper stand blocks a fair chunk of the near side center from the lights. If you're in the east side, the players on the near side after dark might just disappear.

Hopefully the next upgrade is the raise the lights and move them towards the corners.

21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Curious move to open the upper deck when the crowd was so thinly disbursed to begin with.

22. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RailHawks, Town of Cary finalize multi-year lease for WakeMed Soccer Park

On May 12, the Town of Cary’s Council unanimously approved a new sublease of WakeMed Soccer Park by Carolina FC, LLC, the official corporation behind the RailHawks established by club owner Steve Malik last October when he purchased the professional soccer club from Traffic Sports USA. The Town of Cary and Carolina FC entered a stopgap lease last fall while negotiating this new multi-year arrangement.

The term for the new sublease covers 2016, 2017 and 2018, with options by Carolina FC to extend the lease for two successive one-year periods to 2019 and 2020. The base 2016 rent is $105,000, a 10 percent increase from the $95,000 rent in the previous sublease. The rent escalates by 3 percent per annum to $108,150 in 2017 and $111,394.50 in 2018.

Read more at:
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/railha...med-soccer-park/15728816/#zxKTD6QR5CIgi3DV.99

SA14mars and FootySkeptic repped this.
  23. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Great for the club to control concessions and get deals on advertising with the city... The last few things are interesting as well:

Soccer School: The RailHawks have the option to rent space at WakeMed Soccer Park to launch a Soccer School, where enrollees will fulfill academic requirements while participating in the RailHawks soccer academy. The RailHawks may utilize the East Side multi-purpose rooms (suites) in the main stadium for this school at an additional rent of $30,000 per year. The club may also rent the West Side locker rooms for soccer school use for $5,000 per year.

Other Pro Sports Teams: Carolina FC retains the exclusive right to promote, conduct and derive revenue from other pro and national team soccer matches at WakeMed Soccer Park. Carolina FC also has the nonexclusive right to promote, conduct and derive revenue from other pro and national team matches involving lacrosse and rugby.

Carolina FC also retains the right to operate others teams in a “Professional Sports League” at WakeMed Soccer Park, subject to additional lease terms to be determined. The term “Professional Sports League” is defined in the sublease to specifically include another “Professional Soccer League,” a “Professional Women’s Soccer League, a “Professional Lacrosse League,” and a “Professional Rugby League.”

Didn't they draw over 9k in attendance to an international friendly in the preseason this year? That sort of thing could be huge under this new deal. Additionally The mention of Women's soccer is intriguing, the Atlanta rumours mentioned a women's soccer team as well... A new angle for the league as a whole?

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll miss the rally. I was at the press conference, but I'm not hanging around in downtown Raleigh with nothing to do for five hours. And living in north Durham, I am not driving back to downtown Raleigh in rush hour traffic to attend the rally.

I hope it goes well!