Thought you lads should know this.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by starman1994, Oct 10, 2003.

1. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    WILTORD NOT LIKELY TO SIGN NEW DEAL

Sylvain Wiltord concedes he is unlikely to sign a contract extension at Arsenal and is ready to leave a decision on his future until after Euro 2004.
    The French forward's present deal expires at the end of the season and The Gunners have offered Wiltord a two-year extension to remain at Highbury.

That offer remains unsigned as Wiltord had been hoping to secure a three-year contract and admits further talks regarding the impasse are not planned. Wiltord revealed he does not envisage inking another deal at Highbury and is pondering quitting the North London outfit after four years.

"I will reach the end of my contract in June 2004 and, at the moment, I don't believe I will sign again," Wiltord told French radio station RMC Info. "We had a talk with the officials at the end of last season and we had a meeting at the start of the season but, for the moment, nothing else is forecast."

The 29-year-old joined Arsenal from Bordeaux for £13 million after impressing for Les Bleus at Euro 2000 and is keen to shine when France launch the defence of their crown next summer. He believes another solid tournament will enhance his prospects of having his pick of clubs when he becomes a free agent, a route he is increasingly likely to take.

"It is clear I have some desires," continued Wiltord. "But I haven't played for 50 clubs, only three - Rennes, Bordeaux and Arsenal. "I like stability and I am working with affection. It is true that now I have been at Arsenal for four years perhaps I will take advantage of the fact I will be free to follow several trails and possibilities. "But I am thinking a lot of making a good choice because there are a lot of teams like Arsenal. "At first, I will think of having a good season for my club and then at Euro 2004. Then, if it goes smoothly, you will get what you deserve."

2. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Well the clear solution here is a straight up swap: give us Mutu and you can have Wiltord. I'm sure he'll sign the extension with Chelsea. What do you say?

3. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Soz mate, we don't rate Wiltord any higher than Kanu..... which says he wasn't even mentioned when Abramovich came aboard with truck load of roubles.

You lads might land Mutu in 5-6 years time.... nah............ fat chance of that happening too!

Mebbe when your Ashburton Stadium is finally up and running, he might be tempted to sign for you lads then! Heh heh heh.

4. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    no worries. I'm sure Kanu is still quite popular at Stamford Bridge with his hat trick and all.....

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    so he seals his fate... play the pratt in the reserves until the transfer window opens in january.. get a tenner for him... done n dusted~

6. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    hmm, i'm thinking wiltord -> carew. good plan?

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carew's crap too. A big lump with no touch, no vision, just a football version of Jonah Lomu without the scoring.

8. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Or he may decide he'd rather win silverware than get shedloads of money!

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey, if he don't want us...

...then it's his lose. I have never been a HUGE Wiltord fan. He is good, but very inconsistent.

When the mighty GROVE is built, we will have the loot to go after the expensive footballers...til then it's up to our current squad, some very crafty bookkeeping, and a keen eye for hidden talents.

10. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Okay, before we go leaping to conclusions, what's the source of this article?

11. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    Meh. All this means is more game time for Aliadiere. Hell, I don't think Wenger should wait for the end of the season for Wiltord to leave, just sit him on the bench and start Jeremie now.

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Wiltord is quoted as saying, "there are a lot of teams like Arsenal"? That is simply insane. Must be a poor translation??? If accurate, bench the bum.

13. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Soz for the late reply mate, I was away for a few days.

Anyways, what Kanu did to us, we'll remember that for many years to come. But I do need to add that .................................................................................................................................... normally, it's called a flash in the pan !!!!!

You lads won't get a repeat of that anytime soon while playing eleven against eleven on the pitch! So enjoy while it last, which won't be much longer I reckon!

14. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    Re: Re: Thought you lads should know this.

I nicked it from yahoo sport. I thought that it was short enough to post therefore I didn't include the link.

I didn't fabricate anything lads, it's in original form.

15. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Why, aren't there a lot of teams that came in second last year? Or are there not that many teams who consistently underachieve in Europe?

This quote isn't that bad; it barely even qualifies as derogatory. Fact is, there ARE a lot of teams like Arsenal out there and there're a handful of teams that are much, much bigger.

16. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did someone say "Kanu?" :D I fell in love with him after that trick at the Bridge, and I hope Wenger puts him in just to steam the Chelski fans. I also hope that Wiltord was misinterpreted, but I also have never been a huge fan. Good if he goes, good if he doesn't.

17. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    fox... saying that type of comment is meant to be deragatory IMO... absolutely true that arsenal is a small club in the whole scheme of things (Europe), but saying that during the season and when there is friction between the board and the player... its in real poor taste to say.. surely the supporters agree..

18. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    No - I can categorically inform you that there is not, never has been and never will be a team like the Arsenal. End of!

19. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What he said.

20. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Thought you lads should know this.

ALWAYS put the link.

21. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Have you ever been to Highbury? There is no other club in the world "like Arsenal."