Thoughs on Owen Hargreaves

Discussion in 'England' started by DoyleG, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    JC, Scholes is the best midfielder England has. He's smart and he can finish. He's the Michael Ballack of England. All in my opinion.

2. jcdavies

jcdavies New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Woodbridge
    i agree he is a world classmidfielder but when did he last put in a world class performance we all know he can do it he just doesnt seem to be doing it of late

3. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    I suppose - by the law of averages - you had to say something eventually that makes sense ;)

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAARRR

Another classic from the biggest *#*#*#*#ing idiot ever to enter Bigsoccer.

But no ... let's make him work for his latest stint of community therapy.

WHY would you have Hargreaves ahead of Gerrard? What aspect of his play is superior?

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    His curly hair and German accent ;)

Trust Wildman262 to come up with something as ridiculous as putting Hargreaves over Gerrard. Barely concealed trolling.

6. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    In case you hadn't noticed, Hargreaves happens to have been coveted by one of the biggest clubs in Europe. You ever heard of Bayern Munich? So before you get all high and mighty with your notion of superior knowledge, read up a little. :)

Any player that is selected to a National Team has a great chance(ie. Hargreaves) of starting depending on their form. That is why they are selected in the first place. Could it be that you are insulted because Gerard is a Liverpool player and Hargreaves learned his football Canada. Is this what has you in a tizzy?

Good grief man, Hargreaves is a terrific player with a high workrate. Hargreaves would do all the dirty work in the midfield and Scholes could be left to contributing some offense. It would be a good combination, all in my opinion.

The sum of the parts is greater with a Hargreaves/Scholes combination. Do you grasp this concept?

7. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Sender why are differing opinions trolling? Good grief.

Here's an example. Erikson has in his mind a starting 11 that some of you may or may not agree with. Is Erickson 'trolling' or are you lads 'trolling' because you are not in sync with Erickson?

I'd bet 100Euro that Keegan, Fergusen or anyone else you care to put in charge, that they'd have a different starting 11. But, how could this be? It's so cut and dry. Gerard is ahead of Hargreves and everyone else. Matt would have you think they are all mad. Matt has all the answers with his vast football knowledge. :)

Seriously, 5 different managers will probably get you 5 different starting 11's. Chew on that crumpet for minute.

8. Johny Puleo

Johny Puleo New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    None of those 5 managers would exclude Gerrard in favour of Hargreaves unless they were putting together a hockey team.

9. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Johny, I stand by my call. Hargreaves should be on the field with Scholes. You need players that are complimentary with each other, and I think Hargreaves compliments Scholes very well.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    :rolleyes:
    Thats like stating one and one = 2.

Your trolling is geting worse lad-there was a time when you were funny.

btw...how's the re-union party for ex cosmos players coming along....mwahahahahahahah

PS...on current form i would have neither Hargreaves or Scholes in the national team.

11. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anyone who thinks Hargreaves is better than Gerrard is an idiot...

12. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Mike, visionaries stand out from the crowd. I have vision.

13. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    You have visions (more likely LSD flashbacks), but you do indeed stand out for the crowd. I'll give you that much.

What do you mean "has been coveted". Hargreaves has been a Bayern Munich player for the best part of five years. So what. Bayern Munich was interested in Mike Petke once too.

Do you honestly think that there are 10 people who have posted on this board that don't know who Hargreaves plays for?

Everyone of us knows who BM are because they are "one" of your "favorite" teams.

I suppose that Steven Gerrard wouldn't have a chance at making it into Bayern Munichs side, would he? They don't "covet" him because they wouldn't be able to afford him even if they did want him.

Everyone knows that it is easier to get an honest cv from Wildman262 than it is to get big transfer money (for a non-German player) out of Beckenbauer.

14. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    wow so much hate towards wildman! I knew why when I read his preferred teams list!

15. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Mario when you say things that go against the group thinking, you risk the rath. Personally, I do not think Gerard would be a starting mid on the current Bayern team. Who would he replace? Ballack? No way. Ballack is much better. But, I digress.

My original post was that I'd prefer Hargreaves and Scholes instead of Gerrard and Scholes. A workhorse and an offensive threat. That is a good combination. You watch. Erickson will find a way to put Hargreaves in.

Who knows, maybe Gerrard will step it up a notch now that he was made captain, and I may have to eat my words for once. Personally, I would made Didi cappy, but I'll leave that alone.

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I am not 'getting all high and mighty', I am just superior to you. End of fucking story. Mind you, before THAT be deemed to be 'high and mighty', so is every other fucker on here.

But don't dodge the question, dipshit. The fact that you can name Hargreaves' club side is mildly surprising, but it ain't enough, now is it? I asked you what aspect of Hargreaves play makes him a better choice for the England starting 11 than Steven Gerrard.

That would doubtless lift the crushing disappointment of your life for a few seconds, but no. Wrong again. Hargreaves is an excellent player and nothing I have said indicates I think otherwise. He's just not good enough to displace Steven Gerrard from the England team. Anyone who says he is, is .... well .... is you.

No one else is that moronic.

You're a shit troll, when all is said and done, Wildman, because you choose to ply your trade in discussion that require actual insight and knowledge of football. You have neither, so in order to fully indulge yourself in the infantile pursuit that gets you through the day, you should head over to World Rivalries or something. There, you don't have to know the first thing about football and you can still engage in human interaction as much as you please.

Yes. It's just not as great a combination as the one Sven actually employs, which would never pair Hargreaves and Scholes. In much the same way as it currently does not pair Gerrard and Scholes.

Every heard of the diamond formation?

See above, moron.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh look! That again!

Pityful.

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just spotted this little gem! :D:D

Another - HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAR for that one. Almost as funny as his lies about playing in the NASL.

Could it be that Wildman's carefully cultivated pretence of wounded innocence is slipping a tad. I detect an edge to his latest outings, like he's finally woken up to the fact that he has a few things to catch up on. LOL!! It's like that mpeg that went round the 'Net a year or so back of the chimp that sticks his finger up his ass and then sniffs it ... you remember the one.

18. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I feel so privilaged to have been made co-mod of this forum.

Come on lads, don't feed the troll!

19. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Sorry Wildman, but don't delude yourself. You are not Leonardo Da Vinci, Albert Einstein or anyone like that. In fact, you're not even Michael Barrymre or Jane McDonald.

And you claim to have played in the NASL. Well that's hardley something to boast about. "I played with past-it former greats on a junket and English never-were's like Rodney Marsh and Brian Kidd." *#*#*#*#, do you mean the Brian Kidd, the one whose glorious managerial career encompassed Blackburn's relegation from the Premiership, and about 15th place in the 1st division ???. *#*#*#*# me, you really have been reaching for the stars, I take it all back :D.

20. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, if he HAD played in the NASL, it would have been quite an interesting tale. Fact is, of course, that he lied about having done so to extricate himself from one of his earlier entanglements with the world of logic and reality.

He ignores posts on the issue now though. Which is uncharacteristically wise of him, it has to be said.

As to his 'vision', the delusions of a sad lonely being don't count. Sadly for him.

No, I think I was spot on with my earlier observation about that mask of innocuousness getting a bit tatty at the edges. I mean, it can't be fun, getting this easily torn to pieces every time you try another spot of trolling. I think we may be witnessing the harsh first realisation in Wildman's tiny little mind that this thing he keeps butting up against may be his oh-so-strict limitations.

21. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I played for Genoa in the Anglo-Italian Cup. Scored a hat-trick against West Brom ;).

22. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Now THAT's believable! If only Wildman had thought of that one. Instead, he went with his LIE about the NASL.

23. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Here's where you lads get clouded in your thinking. A few of you will never agree with me, because i pointed out the obvious that foreigners have greatly added to the quality of the Premiership. I guess that was no-no and set a few of you off. Anything I've posted there after has been discriminated against.

You lads make it seem so cut and dry that Gerard would belong in the midfield ahead of Hargreaves. Do you think if Sven's asst. suggested that Hargreaves start ahead of Gerard, the Sven would attack his assistant with the kind of vile and vulgarity that has been directed at me? You lads disrespect Hargreaves, when you say with such authority that Gerrard is better. You need to be open minded. No one has answered why Gerard belongs ahead of Hargreaves. I think Hargreaves would do a fine job as the defensive mid, leaving Scholes to attack. Hargreaves, has the pace, the work rate and ball winning ability to free up Scholes to attack.

There are not many ENGLAND midfielders that can attack the goal and actually finish like Scholes. Scholes has 72 goals on 286 games. (granted a few games were played as a forward) A player like Scholes should have a defensive midfield player like Hargreaves, so that Scholes can be freed up to attack. Now, if scoring goals is not important to you lads, than we should discuss what this game is all about on another thread. Gerrard, does not posses the scoring ability of Scholes...He's scored 16 goals in 144 games( not many) Hargreaves is a better tackler and works harder than Gerrard. Hargeaves is the ball winner and does the dirty work, Scholes scores. Simple math, simple plan, and should be simply understood by unpredjudiced minds without the vile and offensive name calling.(remember there are young teens that read these threads. The adults among us, should try and use some restraint with the gutter language.)

And that's that. Your witness.

24. Johny Puleo

Johny Puleo New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Wildman,

I don't agree with your stance on Hargreaves, but you're right about the profanity. That seemed a bit out of line. I think he was a Liverpool fan though so that might explain it.

25. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Johny, I have a feeling that my detractors would not even agree with me on the language issue. I'm sure I'll get a few "@#$%&@#$& yourself" with your language lecture. The youth of the world should ALWAYS be positively influenced. Even on a football message board. Off the soapbox.

Anyway, there is no sense discussing Hargreaves/Gerrard anymore. Erickson won't have to lie awake wondering about it.

Owen frets over injury problem
    Friday, 24 October 2003

Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves has revealed he fears missing out in the Euro 2004 finals because of a mystery injury.
    The 22-year-old has been troubled by an injury affecting his hips and back for the last few months.

The energetic midfielder is facing a spell on the sidelines and he is frustrated as he unsure as to when he will be back playing

"I've been suffering since last March and it is not clearing up satisfactorily," said Hargreaves.

"It is difficult to tell how long I'll be out for at this stage but I've got to take the long-term view on this injury.

"The trouble affects my back and hips and it is preventing me from playing my best. I've done what I can to adapt but it is frustrating having to limit your game."

Hargreaves admitted he was likely to miss most of the season with Bayern as well as England's Euro 2004 warm-up games.

"We've taken the decision that I should take some time out to find out what the problem is and to find a solution," added Hargreaves.

"I'll keep training and keep fit by doing as much of the pain-free work as I can, but it's important to stabilise the situation."