Thornton's Return=Countess/Ring Available?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by tabramos10, Sep 10, 2004.

1. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    With Thornton back in Chicago, Henry Ring and DJ Countess are both quality goalkeepers, both whom could start in this league and neither of which wants to be a third string. I say we try to stop worrying about the name of the team, and go back to figuring out the actual matter of the team: who the players will be. Anyone know of other recent developments that could effect the Salt Lake MLS team's possible roster?

2. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004

Kasey Keller also recently stated he wants to finish his career in MLS, and considering that he is right now not starting at Tottenham, that should be pretty soon. That gives SLC a good shot to get at least one of three great keepers. My opinion would be that if they can get Keller, he would be first choice. If I were coach/GM I would take an experienced and proven keeper and then mostly young players. Keller would be perfect at helping the young players get things organized for the first couple years, then when he retires they can go after a young up and comer to play behind an experienced defense.

Another player I would go after is Jeff Cunningham. He has fallen out of favor in Columbus because he just doesn't fit in with the team right now. He is however an exceptional player and hasn't always not fit in. He can do what only a handful of other players in this league can do and that's beat you one on one consistently. Those kind of skills are invaluable to a team not yet familiar with each other. Columbus may be willing to let him go because of their current form, and although I'm not sure what his salary is. I'd think it's pretty high, and Columbus may not want to pay a substitute so much, making some kind of deal for him possible.

Also interesting is that according to the expansion rules, teams can only leave on Senior international unprotected. Unless there is something I'm missing, that means SLC should be able to pick up either Andy Williams or Damani Ralph. Also, Tenywa Bonseu should be available (if not, then Gevuara will be). Either Ronnie Ekelund or De Resario will be available. There are probably other situations like this where one team has two very good Senior internationals. Unfortunately SLC can only have three but regardless they should end up with three good ones. The hard part for them will be getting the rest of the lineup because the rules make it pretty hard. P-40 players are protected and in the draft, teams can protect 12 players. SLC is going to have to find a lot of their guys in the A-league or get some YA's to come back home.

3. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe so. You are not reading it correctly. Teams can likely protect ALL 3 of their SI's if they want, but they can only leave a max of 1 unprotected. That means that Chicago can protect both Ralph & Williams, and then even protect their 3rd SI (Herron I believe?). However, if they didn't want any of them (hypothetically), they still MUST protect 2 of them, only leaving one unprotected by rule.

4. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004

Yeah, you're right. I guess I just got excited about the idea of being able to bring in one of the mentioned players. But that brings up the question, how is SLC supposed to put together an even decent team? Basically, every team can protect their starters, so SLC's team will be entirely reserve players, with maybe one exception of a team looking to unload a guy with a big salary who isn't producing. As fas as I can tell, the only way for them to pick up anyone really good will be to find him playing in some other league. This probably gives even more reason to hire Sigi Schmid, who has done pretty well finding foreign talent.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ummm... ya. Didn't you see tha memo.. ummm... ya.... the memo on the new cover sheet for the MLS player draft.....

[​IMG]

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree (well first that Office Space was a very funny movie, but I digress)...
    Jeff Cunningham would be a great addition, as long as his heart was in it. I think thats why he doesn't fit into the New Crew.
    I would take Kasey Keller over all of the mentioned GKs, but if Fire didn't actually want Zach Thornton, SLC should pick him in a heartbeat.
    Could they really get Ekelund or De Resario? I was hoping for Walker, but either on of them would be great. I would if LDS boy Christopher Ronér would want to go to SLC?
    What about the Metros? They have a lot of young talent that would be great for the SLC team to have for the future (many can produce now).
    Of course, I just want the team to have their colors, name and coach and that would pretty much get me excited. But we have to have a great team as well.

7. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    I hope we know a little something before we start building a roster.

I was about to buy a new jacket but thought I'd put it off until I knew what color Checket's wanted me to get. Hope I get that jacket before the expansion draft.

8. ilvfutbol

ilvfutbol New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Zach Thorton is a has been. Havent you been reading other posts about him. Please no Thorton in SLC.

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    No way. He's 30 and in his prime for a goalkeeper. He did the smart thing and tested the waters in Europe while he was still young enough.

That said, given his history in Chicago I'd think that the Fire would be looking to hold onto him and let COuntess or Ring be let go during the expansion draft.

10. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of them will be available for sure, but wouldn't Chivas be considering these guys as well? Who ranks higher in the draft? Chivas or SLC? Even the Mexicans must realize that Americans are just better at playing goalkeeper, plus anyway you slice it, Chivas WILL have white, corn-fed Americans on their team, so we shouldn't discount them in being interested in the same guys that SLC would be interested in.

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think Chivas USA plans to use an allocation on a current Chivas GK (backup IIRC). So they'd be looking at best for an American backup.

12. MLSSATURDAYBABY

MLSSATURDAYBABY New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ELJ!!! Breaking News -- The Jazz let go of NBA great Greg Ostertag. At 7 foot 2 inches, I think Ostertag would make an exceptional Center Midfielder for the new Salt Lake. He has a really high center of gravity so he can't turn very quickly, but at least he'll look funny. It doesn't matter that he can't jump at all because he's super tall and the ball will have to hit him. He has a sweet soccer haircut - similar to Ronaldo. He has a Fred Flinstone tattoo and Fred was probably one of the greatest cartoon soccer players in the history of cartoon soccer players. "Ostertag" sounds Scandinavian - they have good soccer players and vikings too. He has really long arms that will be good for pumping up the crowd. His feet are huge so the ball should be an easy target. Lastly, Greg Ostertag is possibly the greatest citizen that Salt Lake has seen in the year of our lord. We can't let him go! Without him the Jazz might be way better, but the new MLS team can't miss this opportunity at a budding soccer star. Word?
    Tim, Tim, Timbo

13. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando or Perkins

DC started Rimando on Saturday for the first time in a while. I wonder if they're just letting him play to up his trade-bait value.

If he's fit again, I imagine Chivas will try to pick him up. If DC ends up keeping him, it would be nice to pick up Perkins. He's been solid this year for DC as a rookie.

14. MLSSATURDAYBABY

MLSSATURDAYBABY New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Tim, Tim, Timbert - Greg Ostertag is quite possibly would be the worst center midfielder ever. He played on the Blitzz for a couple of seasons and still dominated, but he sucked. The new MLS nation of Salt Lake should go after some young players from foreign countries that aren't well known. Jamaica has proven to develop some awesome young players in Andy Williams, Damani Ralph, and others. Joselito Vaca is money. Dipsey Selolwane is money. Guevara is money. The Europeans don't realize the quality of the MLS so they can stay there for now, but Salt Lake should really push for South American and African players, as well as some of the youngsters from the US. Eddie Gaven was a major steal for the Metros. I've seen a kid named Logan Campbell play - he plays and looks exactly like E-gav. That would be great if he could come to the Salt Lake Thizz Izz the Placezz.
    Later-hosen,
    T-nob

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Thornton, Ring or Countess would be good (and in that order) my money is hopeing for Kasey Keller!!!

16. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If KK feels like putting something back or is just looking for a couple of last pay checks then maybe he'll end up in SLC. But you have to think that he's going to be the best keeper in the league if he comes and could walk on to any team. It'd almost be a shame to stiuck him on an expansion team and deny him a decent chance of winning anything whilst he's here.

Just a random statement....I'd love to see Sergei Rebrov in the MLS...he was available on the free in the summer, shame the league couldnt sign him up, after stagnating for a ocuple of years he must be about ready to explode goals, especially in a lower grade league like the MLS where hjis small stature also wouldnt be a problem.

17. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Didn't the Fire win the MLS Cup in their expansion season? And who is Sergei Rebrov? PS: MLSSATURDAY, I've seen that Logan Campbell kid play too. He's nasty. E-Gav better watch out. Thingy's here.

18. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Actually, Pat McGinnis should try out for MLS somewhere, if not the Rapids, maybe SLC? I don't know if that's even crossed his mind or not.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats assuming that SLC can't win in their first season. What do you think this is; NFL? SLC (like the Fire) can certainly win in its inaugural year. I am sure Chivas USA thinks the same thing. In MLS, teams can go from heros to zeros and vice versa fairly quickly (check out the current Quakes and Fire teams and where they were last year this time).
    If Keller came to SLC it would improve their chances dramatically of winning in its first year and in the future. Plus Kasey would probably prefer SLC since he is from Seattle. Its the closest city in MLS to his hometown (of course I am assuming the Quakes are moving :( ).

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLSnet.com

21. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I'll help you guys out:

In Chicago, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Ralph is leaving, unless he's transferred out of MLS for a fee. So stop the silly dreaming of him playing in SLC, unless your front office makes THE #1 blockbuster trade offer in MLS history. I don't think he will be a SI for next season anyway.

There is also a rumor of Andy Williams soon acquiring his permanent residency; Recall that he played collegiately in the US, and has lived/worked/went to school here in the US for quite awhile. Hence, AW may well be considered "American" for MLS purposes, thus enabling Chicago to protect other SI's.

Andy Herron is on loan through the end of the year, with an option to buy; His tenure in MLS may be short-lived, so even to the Fire front office, his standing for the expansion draft is uncertain at this point.

As far as the GKs are concerned [as in the "Ask Peter Wilt" thread], Chicago re-signed Thornton because he is an asset, either within the team or IN TRADE. Based on this statement, it would seem highly improbable that he'd be available in the expansion draft. He may, however, be available by other means. Ring has performed well, and would likely be protected as well. Countess, as he's not played at all this year and may be losing his P-40 designation may be the odd man out at this point.

So, from Chicago, you're looking at the Orlando Perezs, the Evan Whitfields, perhaps Dipsy Selolwane, or DJ Countess-level players being available in the expansion draft. What with the recent losses to retirements, trades, and sales to Europe over the past few seasons, Chicago has a relatively healthy salary cap situation; Because of this, few [if any] of the luminary names are likely to be available for the expansion draft.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm thanks for helping us out.
    However, I only posted this to this old thread because of Ellinger's obvious interest in Zach.
    Thanks

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralph turns 25 next November (November 6, 2005).

MLS rules seem to be a little vague (huh, that's odd) if I'm reading these two correctly:

That seems to me to read that Ralph, who turns 25 in 2005, will be an SI for the 2005 MLS season, even though the MLS playoffs should be almost over when he turns 25.

But then there's also this definition:
    That seems to me to read that since he won't turn 25 during the (regular, at least) season of 2005, he wouldn't fit that definition of SI.

Maybe it's one way if you come in as an SI and another if you are a TI graduating to an SI. I don't know.

I'll ask Peter tonight, as I'm sure he's checked it out.

None of which has anything whatsoever to do with Zach Thornton, obviously, who would be a great building block for an expansion franchise.

24. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I e-mailed that question to Ellinger to see if he was thinking about Keller being a potential big-splash type of signing in January (with Seattle MLS bid seemingly slowed for 2006 and Keller's benching-warming at Spurs perhaps expediting a return to the USA in MLS) or whether he was content to grab a cheaper, current MLS benchwarmer. It seems as if his current focus is more on the MLS keepers so Thornton better get ready to face a lot of shots in Salt Lake (-:

25. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I've played with Logan...solid player, very smart, huge Gaven fan...but big brother Timmy's even better...not that he's actually bigger...but older.

But unless Logan aged since July when I saw him I think he still has college on his mind.