Thornton-->Benefica. Do we want anyone from the Fire?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Roblar, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    So. Thornton just moved to Benefica.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=290107&cc=5901

That makes the Fire quite short on keepers - while we have four! (Onstad, Conway, Saunders, Cronin). On the Fire board, everyone seems to be mentioning Countess, but I don't see Dallas giving him up easily (even though they do have Garlick).

I think that we, on the other hand, could easily do without Conway or Saunders. But do the Fire have anyone we want/could use?

I can't think of anyone offhand, but I don't know the Fire roster that well. Obviously, they're not going to trade Beasley/Armas-like quality, but perhaps there's someone I don't know. Perhaps future picks? Perhaps one of their draft picks?

Ideas? Thoughts? Guesses?

...could this be Conway's shot at a starting spot?

???

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    After he gave Chicago an easy 3 points here earlier this season, I think not.

3. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Conway for Kelly Gray and future considerations

4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Let's assume that
    1) Fire are desparate for a keeper,
    2) Sarachan had a late night prior to that game and slept thru the Conway show.

Kelly Gray is one player I've always liked and he fits the SJ mold. Very versatile, can play central D, outside D, or any midfield position. Plus he's a SJ native. I doubt Conway by himself would be enough to get him though. With Boca gone, Gray is probably penciled in as a starter.

CJ Brown, another local. Definately serviceable at right back. Seems to have fallen out of favor in Chicago. A Conway for Brown trade is not out of the question.

Chicago has a full contingent of 4 P-40 players, so the Quakes could take one of those. However, again, I doubt they'd let Pause or Mapp go for Conway. We don't need Jaqua, so that leaves Capano, a smallish midfielder.

Somehow I doubt Conway for Beas is possible.

5. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Re: Re: Thornton-->Benefica. Do we want anyone from the Fire?

Yeah. I suppose that there aren't too many teams that would want Conway as a starter... but I wonder if a team like the Fire would want him as a backup. similarly with Saunders.

the other point is, do you think we'll keep four keepers? and BEAT-BEAT-s (=Alexi LA-LA-s), isn't this a chance to get something for next-to-nothing?

(Actually, what is the deal with Saunders. I know he was on loan last year. Do we still even have his contract?)

And Toffee, who would you sit for Kelly Gray?

6. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    no one, he works his way into rotation throughout the season when ekelund is injured or Agoos or Dayak or even Waibel...he is so versatile we can play him with Mulrooney or in the back four and he's young and from the area so we could also be grooming him as a replacement to Dayak or Goose. That would give us experience and youth in defence

7. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I like your plan. ...So, you'll call Chicago and get the deal done then? ;)

8. chuckinca

chuckinca Member

Feb 17, 2003
    San Jose Bay Area
    Fire would do some serious talking if Cronin was dangled in front of their puss

9. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Gray, we'd need to trade away Conway/Saunders and some sort of future considerations. Saunders might be recomended as a cheap back/alternative for the Fire.

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is no way they trade Conway for Gray. Conway for a case of beer is probably a fairer trade.

11. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Didn't the Fire draft a keeper?

What keepers do they currently have?

(I'm too lazy to check.)

I have no idea who Thornton's back-up was.

...and I don't think Cronin would get them that excited. He's a prospect (and a great one), but only a prospect at this point. The Fire need someone to come in and start - something which Conway has done (albeit, with mixed results).

Now, if they feel secure with whomever they currently have on the roster, then Cronin makes sense. However, I think they drafted a keeper, so they have a future prospect already.

...and we'd be foolish to trade Conway for beer FahQue. ...I mean, LD's already got a 6-pack to spare...
    ;)

12. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
  13. chuckinca

chuckinca Member

Feb 17, 2003
    San Jose Bay Area
    On the Fire board they're talking about Countess and Rimando. Their recent drafted goalie is a local player who has trained with them some but isn't too highly rated.
    Sure, they would like to get a front line starter from someone but realise that they will probably have to settle for a #2 or find another Onsted in the A League. A top draft like Cronin may be a better deal for them than a #2.

14. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. The question is, what kind of beer?

15. chuckinca

chuckinca Member

Feb 17, 2003
    San Jose Bay Area
    If they offered Mapp, Curtin and Capano for Onsted it would sure put Lexi in a real bind

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Maybe they can talk Espen Baardsen out of retirement?

After losing Bocanegra, I can't see Sarachan playing a rookie in goal. What happened to long time back up Henry Ring? Did he quit soccer?

It would be very funny if they traded for Rimando. They'd go from the biggest to the smallest goalkeeper in the league.

Greg Sutton was the A-League Keeper of the Year in 03. He has some MLS experience, but most of it was pretty bad. On the other hand, he did post his best numbers last year and just got capped for Canada in Yallop's first game (a shutout victory). Dusty Hudock is also a possiblity....

17. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    As some have pointed out, I doubt the Fire would be interested in one of our rookies with Boca gone. I'd think it would have to be Conway packaged with one or two of the draft picks we picked up this year. Still, with Countess and Rimando out there as options, either would be better than Conway, IMO.

Sure would be interesting to see if Dallas would "help" their hated rivals by trading them Countess.

As for the thought of trading Cronin...no fishin' way (as sjqf would say.) We were lucky to get him and Onstad isn't going to play forever. Besides, I doubt Dom would want to let our only experienced backup leave with the possibility of Onstad missing a few games this year for WC qualifiers. (We know that Frank is going to turn Canada into a contender.)

What about packaging Conway with Waibel or Roner? We just drafted our next "Dunivant" and I'm sure that after his performance in MLS Cup, Chicago would want Roner...he's already shown he can score. ;-)

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    WhooHoo! A chance to get rid of Conway, let's deal. I'd take Jim Curtin AND a case of beer for Conway and Roner. Curtin, tall and ugly but a great defender, would fit in playing in the center with Robinson after Dayak and Agoos retire. Two central defenders over 6' 1", our own version of the twin towers. Let's do it!

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! I love Kelly! He's such a cool guy, and a great player! I'd love to have him on our team! This trade gets my vote! :D

Though I just don't see it happening. Not quite sure why. Maybe it just sounds too good to work out! :p

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's exactly what I would say. Though we haven't seen what Cronin can do with this team. But, as much as I hate to say it, I'd rather see Conway go. For some reason though, I just don't see that happening.

If we are to trade a keeper, I hope it's not Saunders (remember the Timbers fans called him "savior saunders" and "the best keeper in the freeworld") or Cronin (who has great potential though we haven't is seen how he works with this team yet).

21. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Chicago offered Beasley for Onstad, would you accept? As we know from the nats, Donovan and Beasley make a great duo. But Cronin or Conway in goal could or would be vulnerable (respectively). Would definitely make for some exciting games!

22. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    There's several players that Chicago won't trade, or most likely won't trade:

Beasley
    Razov
    Ralph
    Armas
    Curtin

There's a few other players that would be harder to pry as well. There are some good players that we'd have a chance at, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of immediate help if we traded Conway. Why would any team trade a valuable player for him? Saunders is a possibility.

I don't think we're going to do anything about this, but I hope I'm wrong, we have way too many goalkeepers on the roster right now, and I'd love to see us get something for them. However, you'll likely see a Countess or Rimando deal.

23. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    It's Benfica. Also the portuguese beans with linguica will give him problems.
    Go Quakes.

24. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have no roster space, and I dont think wed get a guy good enough for Onstad or Conway to make it worthwhile to cut or trade somebody else. If we got anything, id guess it would be a draft pick down the line.

25. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    ...but this the point right? We have an excess of keepers, and trading one of them for a pick would open up a spot. Trading a keeper and another player for a player would also open up a spot.

Seems obvious that the Fire would rather have Countess or Rimando. But on the other hand, Dallas and DC might ask a king's ransom in exchange. I don't think that we would. ...and I think that gives us the in for making a trade.

Could we get our local boys back? Gray? Brown? Probably not. but could we get a 1st round pick? Maybe...

Realistic? I don't know. ...but certainly not completely out there!