Thomas Müller

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Without Özil, I would probably not play 4-2-3-1. Either go back to the old system with 2 forwards or 4-3-3 with 2 out of Podolski, Kießling, Marin as wingers.

Right now I don't see Kroos being ready in time for the World Cup.

2. HerrRupert

HerrRupert BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    did anybody see trochowski ag finnland? i take mueller any day and kiessling for cacao

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ballack played behind the lone striker against Portugal and it was one of his best performances in years. Ideally I'd like him to remain a bit deeper but I don't know if Loew would entrust Marin with that. After today's game I've become quite cynical about how he will be utilized. I don't think Loew will recognize Schweinsteiger as a CM anytime soon either.

4. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hypothetical. We dont know, if Müller can deliver in the NT. I didn't like what he did in the U21 in the last two games. Why should he do it better in the A-NT? I am looking forward too see how he will play in the next weeks now that Jogi put the pressure on him by anouncing his nomination in November.

5. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think comparing two young forwards this season, in these two months so far, Aaron Hunt actually plays n achieves better than Thomas Mueller

I think Hunt also has the advantage of playing week-in n week-out with Oezil n Marin, who are probably integral part of the NT already. The chemistry is there and the NT can benefit from it

Hunt has 8 scorer points (4 goals n 4 assists) in 14 games this season. Thats about 2 months of good performances, That may be about the same rate as Thomas Mueller's.

Young players are normally inconsistent, but if they have their strengths/talents(e.g. versatility/clinical finishing/creativity...etc) that the NT can benefit from it, i think Loew still have time to give it a go.

And the team should have wild cards like Odonkor was. Marin can be one of those but i think we need some match-winners out there

If anyone think with 8 months left n we shouldn't try new players, u gotta be kiddin'. The progress is already very slow. After seeing the German NT lost against Norway, drew against China n Finland.......i don't think we've improved since Euro 2008 (VS Austria, Croatia n Spain). And do u guys want to see the same 23 players in SA?

We as fans n Loew as a headcoach have NO REASON to be content at all. New blood is needed n we have long way to go before figuring out what our best team can be.

Loew is not someone with high learning curve. U can tell in from his insistence on playing these Stuttgart-connected players n keep playing Schweini at RW. It is disappointing that he as a headcoach of the NT doesn't realize Schweini's best position is actually at CM, wher he plays regularly for BM

6. HerrRupert

HerrRupert BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

sure anyways there are no games now for another 4 weeks with the nt one can wait and see

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He also played the same role vs Turkey and Spain while completely sucking. I hope he can as well, as we would need him there if Ozil were to be either injured or suspended for a certain game. Tactical flexibility is important to have when you go to these tournaments.

I hope Hoeness tells Loew to go screw himself and wait until the summer if he wants to nominate him. He has to worry about settling himself at Bayern first, as he hasn't even got his feet wet there.

9. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    But he was again one of the better performers in the Bayern-Freiburg game. Van Bommel and Schweini played well too

Given Uli Honess' philosophy of developing youngsters, Loew can really ignore him and go for whoever he likes. Uli wants to "protect" them, and wait until they're 25 before they play........

And i still remember how young NT players such as Rau, Schlaudraff, Frings, Podolski and Borowski got wasted in Bayern Munich.

Superstars are born under pressure. Uli doesn't realize this. Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney and Messi are always high profile since they've turned 18/19.

Nothing is 100% ready but doesn't look like we've many better options anyway. At this rate, Mario Gomez shouldn't be called, Cacau neither.

While Kuranyi has been banned by Loew, I think Kiessling deserves a chance to replace Mario Gomez in the next friendly; but who will take Cacau's place in November? Do u guys want to see Asamoah? Thomas Mueller is already the best option out of all. Helmes is recovering and will able to play in mid-late November, but those friendlies will be too soon for him; I like Kuranyi but too bad he has disciplinary problem; Aaron Hunt is
    another version of Thomas Mueller; Schlaudraff is probably the only striker we have who has great technique, dribbling skill, flair, versatility and creativity.....very rare at least, but he is just as injury prone as Matzelder, Pander n Kehl.

So we basically have no choice.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Come on.. Gomez had 6 goals in 10 games as he was benched or played for only some minutes. It's ridiculous how Van Gaal "plays" with his forwards.

11. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.sportbild.de/sportbild/generated/article/fussball/2009/10/21/14090800000.html

Klose disagrees with Hoeneß / Rummenigge and believes that Müller deserves to be called up for the national team (and WC squad) if he continues to perform consistently. Age doesn't matter as long as the player has the talent / quality.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Portugese and Argentine football culture is a lot more risk based, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. When its not exactly neccessary there is not reason to rush anything. He has the talent but we saw today that he has some ways to go. Of course, a lot can change within a season and he could end up being Player of the year.

14. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's a myth though. Hoeneß and Rummenigge were both 20 themselves when they gave their debut in the national team. Others like Beckenbauer and Matthäus started their national team career at a very young age also.

It all depends on the player, on his character. Some youngsters develop faster than others, can handle pressure better at a young age. Others are late bloomers. Özil is a good example for the former, Klose for the latter. There is no reason why age should be a knock-out criteria as long as the player is talented and 'stable' enough. Exceptional talents usually are at a young age, it remains to be seen if Müller is one of them in the coming weeks.

15. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ouch...Jogi hates yellow cards. Jogi hates red cards even more.

:D

16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hoeness and Beckenabuer were on a different level at that age than Mueller. I'd even say the same about Oezil. Mueller is still a wait-and-see topic in my eyes.

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Eq was mentioning chemistry......

what sort of chemistry do our NT have currently? seriously....... Do u wanna see mediocres like Fritz, Hinkel, Trasch, Odonkor, Fathi, Huth and Asamoah be there forever? And when r u gonna fed up with Gomez's NT goal drought? Looks like Eq and many people here are too content with the current NT

I don't think age should be an obstacle of players' nomination tbh.....talent/ability is more important

Thomas Mueller is undoubtly a good talent and is already better than many players in the NT. too bad the forward department is that competitive already.

Bojan and Walcott(back in 2006??!) also got called up to their senior NTs before they played consistently well for a season.
    We are not talking about Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo here.

the Nt is too "rigid", and we need some changes and new blood if we really want to give it shot in world cup.

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? I disagree. Which players you think are worse to him?

19. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cacau, Hitzlsperger, Friedrich, Schäfer, Tasci and Trochowski.

This is of course based on the performances in this season and some of the players showed their value in the past but its rly not like you could say there isn't a place for Müller based on what he has shown.
    He will of course need to prove that he can perform this way on a constant basis but thats true for every player and someone like Trochowski has his ups and downs since years and is part of the team.
    So overall its ok to test him, not like he is supposed to be the saviour of german football.

20. zlz_deutschland_zlz

zlz_deutschland_zlz New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i believe KLOSE,GOMEZ,PODOLSKI,KIESSLING will surely take final 4 spot for GERMANY N/T,i am not sure about HELMES though!

21. zlz_deutschland_zlz

zlz_deutschland_zlz New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    klose,podolski,gomez,tasci,boateng are all german blood?so racistm!

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The hell are you talking about?

23. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    He's barely coherent.

24. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And, as a bonus, related with Kirsten somehow. Maybe of blood.

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Only one way to find out....

Man oh man are Ulf Kirsten and K-H Riedle overrated.....hacks I tell ya!