Thomas Müller

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Sep 19, 2009.

1. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As Leinad already explained to a certain degree, Müller is simply a very versatile forward. You have to understand who he will be an alternative to, considering the fact that we now have finally switched to a 4-2-3-1 system with only one out-to-out striker. So while Kießling will be an alternative to Klose and Gomez for the single striker spot, Müller will likely compete with Marin, Podolski, Trochowski, Schweinsteiger, Özil etc. for one of the three spots in the attacking midfield behind them.

This doesn't mean that Kießling does not deserve a nomination though, don't get me wrong, but if we stick to our new system, which we very likely will in the coming months / years, we likely won't need more than two out-to-out strikers for the World Cup squad, three strikers maximum. We will however need a number of versatile attacking midfielders / forwards.

So in this respect, Löw's priorities actually do make sense. You have to keep in mind that our tactical setup has changed in recent months.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Podolski can play LW, Kiessling can play both LW and RW, don't kid yourself. Kiessling is a better winger than the main striker actually. Muller's nomination no matter how versatile he is is a total joke, but you can all hope on some bullsh1t bandwagon.

3. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just looking at the qualities both players have to offer, and forgetting about who deserves what for a second, the fact remains that Müller is the more versatile forward than Kießling. He can beat his man, he is fast and mobile, he can play through balls, his first touch is better, too. Yes, he is young indeed and still has a lot to prove, but for me, his potential is undoubtedly huge.

Considering the fact that we are talking about squad players here, neither of them are going to be starters in forseeable future, I really can't see what the problem is. We have two friendlies to play, we need to make good use of them and test a few players, experiment a little simply because we won't have that many opportunities next year.

If Kießling continues to score in the league, he'll likely be called up for those friendlies also anyway.

4. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Exactly. 100% agree

I hope Castro will be back again. Last time he played for Germany was like loooooong time ago.

Wouldn't mind Frings too

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Frings comes, there is no point in keeping Hitzverage in the team.

6. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would like to see Muller at the WC though Badstuber is not convincing enough.

If people are really clamouring for Marin who hasnt blown us away this season, why not Muller who has been outstanding in most of his games.

Based on league form this season, Podolski deserves to be nowhere near the NT. What more do we expect from Muller. I dont see anything wrong in Muller being a squad player a part of the 23 man squad.

7. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Marin has been excellent so far this season though, he was one of Werder's most consistent performers in the last few weeks. But I agree that Müller deserves a chance, as do a number of other promising young players. We really need to make good use of those friendlies, to see who actually has the potential to make the WC squad next year.

8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    What??? Marin is simply amazing this season, and adapting so well in Werder Bremen
    MOTM for them several times already.

but to be very honest, even though those are friendlies, i doubt Loew will bring in Frings. Their relationship isn't the best, and Loew tend to nominate younger players. Frings is also playing well this season
    Loew dislike Frings as much as he does towards Kuranyi.

Dont think he likes Ballack either, he he has no choice.

Castro, Kiessling, Frings, Thomas Mueller are the 4 options for friendlies. i'll leave soft spots for Hummels too.

there are some quality players who are currently injured. Helmes, M. Jansen, Pander n Kehl..........Helmes should be an asset to the NT if he recovers, a pure predator in front of goal; M. Jansen, though isn't great, is an option and dont think he is worse than M.Schaefer; Pander's set-pieces can be great asset to the team as well, his crosses, set-pieces n long shots are still the best in the NT.

We'll see

9. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Kießling played RM in a 4-2-3-1 most of the 07/08 season, last season he was supporting striker and this season main striker... he is very versatile and certainly not only an option for the striker position.

I would leave Müller in the U21 for now and rather pick Marin and Kießling to try out some alternatives up front. Müller is impressive right now, but not more so than Kießling or Marin, and those 2 are more experienced and know the nt.

10. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Either Kiessling, Marin, Thomas Mueller or even "technical monkey" Asamoah, the injury prone Schlaudraff n Kuranyi are better options than Cacau imo.

11. HerrRupert

HerrRupert BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    media pressured? bild is constantley screaming f kiessling. muller is just more versatile and the better choice i also think badstuber should be considered especially with our situation in central defense better than tasci anyday

12. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Höwedes and Hummels should be in front of him. And Tasci had more of a season of constantly good performances already, just momentarily he is not in his best shape. Boateng is also better in central defense as Badstuber. We don't need him by now.

13. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Cant take everyone from the U21 i suppose. Beck, Tasci, Khedira, Oezil, Marin and J.Boateng. Then we'll have players like Hummels, Thomas Mueller and Howedes on their way. then Kroos, Lars Bender and possibly Andre Schurrle(this kid is truly impressive as a 18 year old in the league), Badstuber and Lewis Holtby later

Players born in 1989 n 1990 are the best crop of players Germany have produced in years. I don't feel too optimistic with our other age groups to be honest. 1992ers are slightly better, but consider we had Gebhart, Bender Bros, Marin, Kroos, Manuel Fischer in the U17 three years back, look like the current U17 are better as a team but less outstanding individual.

1989ers really have created a real "golden generation" in my perspective. Marin, Gebhart, Diekmeier, Nsereko, Naki, Choupo-Moting, Schieber, Thomas Mueller, Toprak, Kopplin, Reinartz, Risse, Badstuber, Jungwirth and Bender Brothers......thats amazing

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    HerrRupert still has the yellow card.
    You must have had it for about 10 years.

I saw Mullers pictures from Oktoberfest and he had the hottest broad. No doubt about it.

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Link???? :)

16. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras

ah ja for my donovan coments i guess i get a lifer for that turned out that i was right though
    @ badstuber i think if he keeps a regular starter @ bm loew will take him bayern lobby halt it might not be such a bad choice
    btw how is metzelder at rm doing? is he starting?

17. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Muller is not a better choice, the only position Muller can play that Kiessling cannot is AM and he is rather average at that as well. He basically plays as a withdrawn striker for Bayern instead of a real playmaker, which I don't blame but he surely doesn't know how to play like a proper #10 which is the point of his position at Bayern. Kiessling can play both wings if needed because he plays best as a second striker though unlike Muller, he can handle playing as the target man like he's proving it this season. I agree so far this season Badstuber is having a better season than Tasci, though I think Gaal's tactics definitely make our defence looks better than it actually is, similar to Barcelona and Spain.

Bild may be screaming about Kiessling, yet you don't have famous people calling for Kroos (Bayern legends) as well as the "Bayern-pressure" which has some unwritten rule that 1) if you are German and 2) you start for Bayern, you should get a nomination. I think Lell was even considered as an option 2 years ago when Hitzfeld talked to Loew..

Metzelder got injured, like he always freaking does. He doesn't deserve a chance, even though he's better than every CB currently in the team bar Mertesacker. We don't need a dying disease in the team that will get injured by slipping from a leaf and breaking foot.

18. HerrRupert

Jan 4, 2005
    madras
    well there is still time to see how badstuber will perform over the nxt couple of months if he stays a starter @ bm he will be nominated no doubt there
    i disagree with your assesment of mueller he has a lot of scorer points if he can keep it up he will be nominated kiessling we have to see but you still have guys like cacau (wtf?) that he can trade with

19. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Metzelder is too injury prone to be even considered. Christian Pander, i really like him as a player with amazing set-pieces and long shots....but these players whose legs are made of glasses will have their disadvantages of making into the final squad.

I think other than the CB position, versatile players have their advantage epsecially in a big tournament like World Cup. Podolski, Marin (both can play left winger and SS), Jerome Boateng or even Thomas Mueller, Kiessling, Castro and Hunt can play several positions on the pitch. If there are suspension or injury problems, they'll have their chance

Consider Marin can play at SS, I even doubt Loew will take 5 strikers to South Africa.

Kiessling deserves a place in the NT, but it doesn't mean Thomas Mueller can't add value to the team. Bear in mind

20. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    How is 2 goals and 2 assists a lot of scorer points and Kießlings 6/2 this season and 12/9 last season is "we have to see"?

Cacau shouldn't be in the team, that's right. But Müller shouldn't be, either. He's in a good form with Bayern, but he was much less convincing with the U21, and there's a good chance that he will rotate out of Bayerns starting 11 later in the season, Kießling is in a much better shape and it's very unlikely that he'll get benched.

If Müller stays in Bayerns first 11 until March, maybe he should be given a chance then, but at the moment, I'd take Gomez, Klose, Podolski, Kießling as strikers. With them and Marin, Özil, Schweinsteiger, Trochowski, Ballack, Rolfes, Hitzlsperger and Frings (or maybe Gentner) Löw has players for 4-4-2 flat or diamond, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, with multiple options for every position of every of these systems - OK, there is no great replacement for Özil as AM, but Müller wouldn't be, either.

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Kroos could be that one who is taken if he plays a solid season with leverkusen and plays almost every game.

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think thats a long shot but then again Loew has to work on his back up plan if Oezil is not available.

He could push Ballack up but that would destabilize the central midfield. Perhaps Marin?

23. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not really, this depends if Balla can play as a pure AM well. If he can, put Schweini as a CM and start Marin on the wing. Hypothetically if Ozil gets injured.

24. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Marin can play at the AM/SS position like he does for Werder Bremen. And he is just as creative as Oezil imo.

If we're playing 4-1-2-2-1, Oezil will play as a SS/Wing forward behind the main striker....in that case, he can be replaced by Kiessling/Mueller While Podolski/Marin/Trochowski will be the other wing forward.

If we're playing 4-2-1-2-1, Oezil will play at the AM position behind the 2 wing forwards and main striker. N the only player who is capable of replacing this position will be Marin. Schweinsteiger can play there if the situation is desperate, and he'll have Rolfes and Ballack behind him.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The answer is marin. Ballack should really stay where he is.

This is all if Kroos isn't taken himself. I think he should be if he does what I said earlier.