This year's marketing campaign?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Jan 27, 2010.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a few big differences between MLS Quakes and NASL Quakes that make those attendance comparisons unfair. 1) Our current stadium only fits 10,500 so it's impossible to draw 19k people... we have drawn more in the larger bay area stadiums. 2) The NASL Quakes did not have as much competition from other pro sports. The NHL and NBA did not have nearly the market share they have today. The Sharks didn't exist. The Quakes were San Jose's only pro team.

I completely disagree about the NASL having a superior product. Go watch some NASL highlights on youtube. The entire game was way more slow and rigid back then. The current MLS product is superior to not only NASL, but also most European leagues in the 70's. The game has changed a lot since then.

2. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

The difference is that the NASL quakes regularly sold out to standing room only an 18k seat Spartan stadium. The current Quakes can't even fill a 10k stadium.

Only when there was star power involved ie Beckham, Blanco, etc. which reinforces my previous claims.

Baloney! The warriors and the NBA were big time in the 70's with Attles, Thurmond, Berry and being San Jose's only pro team didn't really matter much to a city that had half today's population and largely never heard of Soccer before.

You obviously never attended an NASL match or you would not say any such thing. the talent level in the NASL was vastly superior to the MLS. the style of Soccer may have been different, just as the style of Soccer in the Premiere league was different 35 years ago, but there is no arguing that the talent level of the NASL was superior. An All Star team of NASL Quakes would decimate and all Star team of MLS quakes, of that I have no doubt.

Seeing a few old youtube videos is pretty bad knowledge of the NASL. Trust me, as someone who went to virtually every Quakes match from 1974-1983, today's MLS players don't possess the same level of talent or fitness.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a great number of NASL Seattle Sounder games and for the most part agree with your sentiments. The foreign talent in NASL was much better than what we have in MLS, however, american players of today are better than the americans of 30 years ago.

I recently read a World Cup article (BBC online?) about the great South African and Kaiser Chiefs player of the 70's-80's, Ace Ntsoelenge. People who coached and played with him have said that if Ace were playing today he would be as well known as Ronaldo, Ronaldhino, and Messi. The article was definitely aimed at a British audience, since it was tiltled, "The Greatest Player You Never Saw". I had to laugh at that, ( and for more than one reason*) because Ace played 11 seasons in the NASL, and I saw him play several times. Just one example of the talent that was present in the NASL.

* the same thing was said about the player in my avatar.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is getting hijacked. The bottom line is the Quakes FO needs to have marketing people at any future world cup games that are broadcast at AT&T park, even if they have to stand on the sidewalk outside. Hell, the line to get in the park took 15-20 minutes, more than enough time for people to see and talk to Quakes marketing staff had they been there. They dropped the ball and we are not happy about it. I am a big supporter of the FO and Doyle, unlike most people on this board, but this is something they screwed up.

5. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Doyle is an idiot and frankly on the matter of filling Buck Shaw with fans, Alioto has some explaining to do himself. there is no good reason that ANY seat should go unfilled at Buck Shaw, especially considering how small of a venue it is.

If you are satisfied with the performance of the FO, your standards must be pretty low.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, come on. He didn't say anything about being satisfied with standards, he just said that he supports the FO and Doyle. That doesn't say anything about being satisfied with their performance or standards.

7. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually he said that he is;

To which I'd have to ask, at what point is a "big supporter" not at least tacitly satisfied with the performance and standards of the FO?