This wouldn't get by security would it....

Discussion in 'New England Supporters Clubs' started by Transparent_Human, Apr 18, 2007.

1. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    the only issue they have is flagPOLES. bring all the flags you want in...flagpoles need to be under 2 feet

2. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    2 feet total, or 2 feet as in extending out 2 feet?

3. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    2 feet total. You can generally get away with 28-30 inches. I'd look for a 3x2 flag if you want to waive it.

4. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Okay, thanks for the help guys.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  6. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't spend that much money on that flag. I made the same mistake and will never do it again. If you spend $40 on a state flag I'll slap you.
    Search ebay

I just bought 10 flags for $50...(I did it because they were so well recieved on Saturday. 5 New England Continental Flags, 3 Don't Give Up the ships, and 2 Bunker Hill Flags.)

Get the poles cheap at Home depot...just buy a dowel and use duck tape or zip ties to make it stay on there. Get them generally thin...thats what security is most concerned about and leave enough space at the end of the pole so your hand can hold it and thats it...

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm going to do a small order from U.S. Plastics to see what they can offer. I think thermoplastic would go over a bit better than wood (lighter, more flexible), and they can custom cut it to any length:

[​IMG]

For example:

3/4" Gray PVC Schedule 40 Pipe
    Sold per foot.
    Cost per foot: $0.68
    Total feet: 20

This would be enough for 10 lengths of 24 inches, the max. flagpole length allowed per stadium regulations.

8. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or I could just give you my extra piece of 12 foot long 3/4" pvc left over from when I hooked up my furnace condensation drain....

9. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    I also have 10 feet of PVC I got from Drewwwwww when he finished his car flagpole...we could get a few flags waving in the section.

I loved Garretts NE flag he gave me Saturday, it worked nicely

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'll take it, as I've wanted to make one big flag (even if I can only wave it in the parking lot) for sometime anyway.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bring in two poles with screw attachements at the end and then screw them together, they could be used for the 3 x 5 flags.

12. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Helping you save a ton of cash

I got my CT flag off ebay for $7, where $4.50 of it was for shipping. I also got a bunch of U.S. flags last year off a BS user, forget his name, who ordered a gross shipment from China (yes, it sucked to buy a U.S. flag made in China) just in time for the World Cup, for $2 each.

Several years ago my scout troop was hosting a winter jam-bo-ree with an Olympic theme, since the Salt Lake Olympics were occuring at the time. The winning patrol of the campout was going to get a Team USA Olympic flag. A local store was selling it for $70. Ebay had one for $5. No idea why it costs so much for flags, must be a lucrative market.

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I took advantage of this:

3 x 5 polyester flag (Navy) - http://www.amazon.com/Navy-Blue-SOL...116615?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1177087778&sr=1-5

3 x 5 polyester flag (White) - http://www.amazon.com/White-SOLID-C...116615?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1177087778&sr=1-8

Only $5.85 each!

The nice thing about these are that they're polyester, which makes them a bit easier to do artwork on, especially the white one. All you need is some outdoor latex paint and you're good to go.

FWIW, I've bought a couple to do a test run of sorts on, and will hopefully bring those to a few matches in the near future. Even if they're too big for a standard flagpole per stadium regulations at Gillette, perhaps they'll be allowed up in Toronto later this year.

By Hell, only $5.85 each....

The Magpie

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Definently a good price. Just don't plan on using both sides for something that isn't a mirror image of the other. I'm pretty sure it's single ply polyester which will bleed right through.

If I get froggy enough, I'll probably buy some from Amazon. I haven't found a better price on the net.