This Pele's goal is probably greatest ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Zlatko2010, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    If this goal that Pele scored against Juventus was just like on the video, it probably should be greatest goal ever.:eek:

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    no as great as Maradona's but still a great goal :eek:

3. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Maradona's against England?:eek: I think this Pele's goal is tougher to score. Some players scored similar to Maradona's goal , but nobody scored goal like Pele's.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's hard to know exactly what we'd make of the goal if we saw it in reality perhaps (a computer simulation can't give the full impression - it might even seem a better goal in reality though not necessarily inferior). Pele also scored the Gol de Placa apparently in 1961 and I don't think that goal was recorded either but it was a length of the field run.

Clearly we can see via Youtube and TV that he scored many great goals so if these were his best ever they must've been special. If they were better than these two then they would have been really great goals:
    (often included in best ever goals selections and with some similarity to the goal vs the Brazilian Juventus depicted in the video on this thread).
    (if the Gol de Placa was better than the one from 7:28 it would have been impressive as a long range dribble goal)

Gregoire1 repped this.
  5. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Agree. This goal against Sweden was really beautiful and against Juventus he did that trick 3 times in a row:rolleyes:

6. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Didnt romario do something similar and ALMOST scored. It was for brazil but i dont remember who against, he flicked it over two players but couldnt quite find the net, he recieved a pass on his chest flicked over the defender brilliantly. And on another occasion romario did score a goal where he flicked over a defender and then over the goalkeeper

7. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Here at 1:25 is a great moment that you are talking about.

It would be interesting to rate players according to flicking it over defender skill. :) I rate it like this: 1. Pele 2. Romario/Maradona 3. Ronaldinho

8. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Were there any recorded radio broadcast or journalists at the game? This goal only became known during the promotion of the movie. I just think it may be a little exaggerated and CGI can do wonders.

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    it is a personal opinion, Maradona's goal on my opinion is the best ever because of the level of the competition.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    It's a yes and no ... I would not say Pele's goal is more difficult but surely it's so "typical genius" moment, that in a SPLIT of seconds, he decided to make such moves.
    One would say if Maradona had 100 ways to come up with goal chance, Pele would easily get 101!

11. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    You are right that Pele had more variety in scoring goals and that's why he is the greatest goalscorer ever, but as for the greatest scorer of beautiful goals I would call Maradona. For example Pele always dreamed to score a goal with a shoot from half of the pitch, but he hadn't luck or skill to do it. But Maradona did it.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  12. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even if the the simulation is exact........It still probably wouldn't make a top 10 imo.

13. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    HAHA, give me please 4-5 goals that are better than this

14. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A greatest goal can't come from such ineptitude by defenders and keeper.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pele counts this goal as one of his 456,595,356 goals he has scored in his career.

16. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Maybe it came from Pele's genius? Still don't see your list of goals that can be considered to be greater than this one.

17. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Pele counts it as the most beautiful that he scored.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He also counts the one he scored in the movie with Stallone.

Bada Bing and Karloski repped this.
  19. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    :D :thumbsup:

20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't get me wrong it's a great goal. Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of team (pass and move) goals, because I think they encapsulate what is greatest about the beautiful game. Add the spectacular individual efforts we've had over the decades, and the importance that some goals have had over others (probably shouldn't matter, but level of importance will allways strike deeper into the psyche of football fans) and it would be quite easy to create an arguable 10-20 goals that deserve to be above it.

I will put some of my favorites up tomorrow if it means that much to you, but at the end of the day it's all opinion based. There is no definitive 'best goal'.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    well yes and no ... Pele brilliance made those DF and GK looked "ineptitude" . NO one (DF) had ever seen or imagine someone could do that to pass them!

Let's say, it so EASY to laugh now , that the youngsters in highschool to hear the story of Galileo (convinced the royal scientists ages ago that the Erath is ROUND) .... it's the same with Pele's goal. It's so easy now to claim "oh those DF so stupid" after the fact we see that moves 50years after!!!

22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :D..

:ROFLMAO:...

That's got to be the funniest thing I've read on here for some time. Nobody had ever realised that the ball could be kicked over your head in a football game...

..until Pele did it.....Mwahahahaha....:ROFLMAO: classic.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    you again MISSED that ... "classic"

3 times on a roll and SCORED - that's so much difference with some one just flip a ball over other's head for fun! NO meaning!

( for the record, Neither did I say it was Pele's greatest goal, nor it was a greates goal in history)

24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Imagine the day somebody does it 4 times.:eek: Or...and I can't believe I'm saying this...5 TIMES. The defenders would of course be totally blameless...because who could imagine such a feat.

Of course the old proverb "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...fool me thrice...I do believe the universe has just imploded" from some hundreds of years ago would dispel your theory.;)

25. Zlatko2010

Zlatko2010 Member

Mar 16, 2013
    In greatest goal we need to include a lot of aspects such as difficulty to pull that, beauty for our eyes, the way it's scored... If we rate it with tournament status then Zidane's goal in Champions' League Final 2002 could be in top10-15, but it's doubtful that it is in top30-40 if we don't give big value to the ''importance'' of goal.
    If the main criteria is skill and feeling that you witnessed something that will be almost impossible to repeat by any other player than this Pele's goal is clearly among the greatest.
    If you don't want to post the goals that you think are the best then you don't need to do it. But from your favorite club name I guess that you're going to name goals from Cantona, Beckhem and C. Ronaldo , right?:D