This Man Should Never Be Allowed...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Peretz48, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    ... anywhere near the USMNT. You remember him from 1998. Yep, that guy. I know, what does he have to do with the present USMNT? Well, folks, in various interviews he has expressed his desire to demonstrate that 1998 was an aberration, and that he really is a world-class coach. He already has his own sticky on the Galaxy forum. But the rest of you really need to know what's happening.

First, a pathetic loss at the Earthquakes where two (count 'em, two!!!) own goals were given up in a span of three minutes. And now, tonight's debacle. Leading the Revs, 1-0, with only a free kick to defend in the dying seconds of stoppage time, the Galaxy appeared to have nailed down an important victory. But wait, lazy, undisciplined marking allows TT to head the ball down right in front of Hartman, where two (count 'em, two!!!) completely unmarked players (Dorman & I believe Joseph) both shared a muffin and latte before Dorman decided to do the honors. Final, 1-1.

Many critics have faulted Sampson for his questionable tactical schemes in '98. And that might be very true, but these two recent losses have demonstrated that he has difficulty instilling a will to win, and a commitment to disciplined defending. I suspect that the same thing has happened everywhere (U.S., Costa Rica, etc.) he's gone. Whatever anyone thinks of Bruce Arena, I get the feeling that beyond his tactical acumen, he gets the most out of his players because they buy into his ability to motivate them. I just don't see that with Sampson. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, NEVER SHOULD SAMPSON COACH ANY U.S. TEAM, JUNIOR, SENIOR, FUTSAL, I DON'T CARE WHICH!!!!!!!!

2. TRUEAGGIE

TRUEAGGIE Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Las Vegas
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Steve certainly did not distinguish himself at Costa Rica. I thought Galaxy started off well this year (not counting the opening loss to Andrulis) but they seem to unravel as the season got along and in the weakest conference to boot.

Who knows whether his tactics are any worse than his people skills.

4. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I HATE Steve Sampson.

If anyone here ever actually read John Harkes' book, you might understand why, exactly, I feel this way. But I hate him, period.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sampson has always come across as an arrogant, shrewd individual for no apparent reason. Bruce is arrogant but he has the tools to back it up. Sampson seems to be one who has a one track mind and doesn't weigh the consequences of his decisions and tactics. I not saying he's a horrible coach, I just don't think he has the approach to warrant outstanding success. His debacle in '98 has ruined any chance getting a sniff at any level of the Nats again and rightfully so.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hire Him!!!

Yes, Sampson should be rehired as USMNT coach. In fact lets make it co-coaches with him and Rongen sharing the duties.

I am sure this would please the sports establishment in the US as the US would move from, arguably a top 15 position in the world down to 100 or so in a fairly short time.

The primary reason that LA did well early was simply talent; it takes time to drive a team into the ground. Remember the US did well for a fair time under Sampson.

In fact it was NOT even the field decisions that was the problem it was exactly what we see with LA poor player management.

No fairly standard formation 3-4-3, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 5-3-2, or even the 3-6-1, is inherently flawed it is the way it plays with the personnel involved is what makes it succeed or fail and THAT is where Sampson fails.

He fails to inspire players to play their best.
    He fails to play players to their best potential.
    He fails to mold players into a team.
    He fails to inspire confidence in his choices.
    However
    He succeeds in "talking" a good game and getting the least out of the players on the team.

He "sounds" like he knows something about international soccer.

So lets get him back with the NATs and finish off US soccer for good.

7. kubrick74

kubrick74 Member

Apr 19, 2004
    HATE ?

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Don't worry, there's no chance he'll ever get back to the national team. I'm perfectly content to see him drive LA into the ground. My worry is that he'll *** up Donovan's development which will hurt the US.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm more worried that bimbo Donovan dates is gonna *** his development and turn him into a head case, far more than I worried about Sampson.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bimbo? Why is she a bimbo?

11. tobycharles

tobycharles Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Not sure that "bimbo' is the word I would have chosen. Would you care to elaborate on why she is detrimental to Landon's development. He's said numerous times he plays best when he is happy and settled. She seems to be a key component to this happiness. Does that make her a bimbo?

12. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I dunno, I think Sampson is a pretty good fit at LA. He'd be an even better fit at, say, Dallas. Or Kansas City. Anywhere but the Fire, actually.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Sucks!

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, Landon it doesn't make her a bimbo :) I was being sarcastic. I'm sure she provides a certain sense or motivation and happiness for him, I just don't want it to be puppy love and have him fall off the deep end if they split.

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    1995 copa america...

sampson earned the job thru the teams performance there....

16. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    No culpes al indio....culpa al que lo hace compadre....Do not blame the peasant....Blame whoever make him a compadre" An old mexican adage wich translated mean do not blame Steve Sampson put the blame in whoever hire him to manage a soccer team right after France 98, Costa Rica, etc.etc...It just break my heart to witness MLS stumbling into mediocrity meanwhile real good coaches languish into minor leagues waiting for a chance :confused:

17. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Hey do not express yourself that way about Donovan's BIMBOS they all have something in comon "eat crackers in the bed" :D

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good one :)

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the initial post.. i could have sworn just about the same could have been said for Bob.....

20. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    You are not too far from the ball park, but the sad part is that still few poster look at this guys as a possible general managers for our youth national teams(u20/u17) :eek:

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Harkes has blood on his hands as well.

In fact, I'll go so far as to call him an unprofessional piece of crap.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is not blood on his hands.It was something else on his something else that got him into trouble.

23. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Are you talking about poop on his weewee :D