This is why I love Noam Chomsky

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ted Cikowski, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    "fear"? Many of us just think he's wrong on a lot of things.

2. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was referring to those willing to lie to make him look bad, Nicephoras.

Not even to Cikowsky who probably just trusted Dershowitz.

I am referring to the aware dershowitzs all around the world.

You will agree that there's a big difference between ppl who "happen to think he is wrong" and ppl who "make stuff up in order to slander him".

And yes I think that the second group is driven by fear.

3. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Chomsky is a self hating Jew. People like Mel Brennan love to cheerlead his anti-corporate, anti empirical writings so much they will even defend his anti-semitism with "spin".

You might want to read this:
    http://www.mega.nu:8080/ampp/cohn_on_chomsky_intro.html

http://jim.com/chomsdis.htm

but really it doesn't matter. Chomsky can say whatever the hell he wants and his fans will spin it. Chomsky also denied the Cambodian genocide.

But to Mel and his fans the FACT is this: Chomsky wrote a forward to a holocaust denial book. No amount of spin can change that. Call me names, give me negative rep and use big words to justify it - but I'm not the one putting my name in anti-semetic books and defending the author.

http://www.fact-index.com/h/ho/holocaust_denial.html

4. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    There was no slander since Chomsky actually did defend the book in Dershowitz article. I don't fear Chomsky, only people like Mel read him. i read his anti-Clinton book and I really wanted to fear it. I even turned the lights out and read it by candle light in a abandoned Mansion in the forest. Unfortunatley all I got was laughs. So why fear someone that maybe 2% of the population has heard of and that 90% of those 2% think he is a jackass?

5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American Right hates Chomsky largely because, through his exhaustively documented work on American foreign policy, he forever burst their bubble regarding America as the unalloyed 100% "white hat" good guy who always acts only out of selfless motives and never supports any vicious thugs who are just as bad or worse than their "communist" opponents. For that alone, he has earned their undying hatred and the mere mention of his name causes them to go into conniptions and to foam at the mouth.

Of course, along with Edward Herman, Chomsky also devleoped the model of capitalist media systems that served as the basis for research that demonstrates that "the media" is not "liberal" and in fact is right-wing concerning economic and political topics and also explains why and how this is so. By doing this, Chomsky helped take away from the American Right one of the prime components of their sense of paranoid victimhood.

So Chomsky, despite his flaws - and I myself do not agree with everything he writes, has been instrumental in destroying two key myths prevalant among right-wing circles here. Is it any wonder the Right hates and fears him like they hate and fear few others.

6. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Although I think you're a douchbag I admit that you are capable of reasoned writings and this is one of them, something Mel Brennan isn't. It's fair. You're right that the U.S. isn't always right and they aren't always the good guys and we need people like Chomsky and Michael Moore to balance out the fiction we get from various sources. I have never denied that both make good points that should be looked into.

However the problem is that Chomsky and Moore are as bad as the media they purport to hate. To them, the U.S. is ALWAYS the bad guy ad the U.S. is always wrong. Both Moore and Chomsky also resort to playing loosely with facts as well. Especially in Moore's case, i don't think it's even debatable anymore. So for them to complain about the dishonesty of the media is hypocritical in many cases.

These people dismiss everything the U.S. does as evil and dismiss every voice that supports the U.S. I mean, Joe, it was you who called the Cubans who agreed with the U.S. policy towards Cuba "KRAZY KUBANS"(and 90% of Cubans young and old agree with the U.S.) and it is you and Mel and others here who dismiss the voice of the Iraqi Americans (of which about 90% supported the war) and ignored ABC, BBC and Zogby polls done inside of Iraq that shows support for the war.

7. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    wow, I think you need a new tinfoil hat.

8. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Then fVck your grandmother.

9. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Ok, drama queen. Apparently you read the thread, then read my posts explaining. So you're just one of those pile-on types, huh?

O realize you're just getting a shot in at a right winger, so in kind, fVck your mother in her arse. Take care!

10. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    we know, you Palestinians love Chomsky for the no-Holocaust stuff.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Lovely. Its times like these I question "evolution".

12. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is why your relevance will never extend beyond Archer's den. Go back to leading the blind.

13. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ratdog again.

Thank you, Ratdog.

14. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's funny is that I can guarantee you that I can list the flaws in Chomsky's approached, analyses, and solutions better than Chick-cow-ski, because I've ACTUALLY ********ING READ HIM, not had my invective towards him handed to me by Right wing ideologues and Jews mad at his criticism of Israel and the hypocrisy of the West to the extent it claims to ideationally build, as opposed to its radical efforts to build upon nation-state power.

I mean, even his analysis of the World Court ruling in favor of Nicaragua was limited in accurate scope, but come on...Theodore's People would -and WILL- never even tell that story.

No, I'd bet my family on it, and in some ways I have: Chomsky analysis, and subsequent vision, of the present and insight regarding potentialities of the future will be considered, engaged, and dealt with when either Ted-esque neocon modes are dust in the wind due to their inhumanity, or humanity for the most part dust in the wind due to the weapon-based small penis petulance that inevitably accompanies neocon thinking. Either way, what the future will consider will far more resemble Chomsky than Chick-cow.

Believe it.

15. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1 - I am not a palestinian. I am italian, precisely sardinian.
    2 - Which Chomsky's no-holocaust stuff are you talking about?
    3 - Never appreciated the negationist genre.

You should add some midfielders in your thoughts' lineup. Someone solid to keep posession of your brain.

You should know that midfield is the key sector of the field.

16. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Holy crap! You ARE a nutter. You cut-and-paste alot from looney lefty websites, but what the h#ll are you talking about in your first paragraph?

But the funniest thing is that you act as if Chomsky doctorine is common knowledge, as if all of America should naturally study the lefty-commie version of Thomas Sowell (conservative that writes alot on language usage). Of course, you KNOW Chomsky is a fringe academic, only given relevance for his linguistic teaching, BUT you just like to act elitist, so you pass off Chomsky as if it's Geography 101. This is why you lose elections.

17. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland

Ah, the type that jumps in the gutter to name-call, then gets elitist on the first invective I hurl. Typical liberal.

Are you high, or just manic-depressive?

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Don't you have a grave to desecrate somewhere?

19. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Um, no. Oh, still harping on my example of Chosky-ism? You disingenuous lout.

20. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    m

(not allowed to edit post because of yellow) ;)

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I agree. And so - this discussion is over. Ignore list for you.

22. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Yes! Triple nipple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Please, ANYTHING but THAT!

24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [marv albert]YES![/marv albert]

Now there will be no living with me.

You'd have done yourself a favor if you'd stopped there because your very words imply my criticism of your next paragraphs.

Why should Moore or Chomsky waste their precious time trumpeting American virutes when the U.S. media, the U.S. government, and many well-funded think tanks are already making American self-righteousness damn near impossible to escape as it is? What would be the point of adding frost to snow? They serve as a check and a balance. To duplicate the already massive U.S. propaganda machine would be pointless. And I think that both Chomsky and Moore are more even handed than you give them credit for, especially considering the above.

Well, the Bush administration (not to mention it's various attack dogs and right-wing talk radio in general) resorts to playing loosely with the facts so for their fans to complain about Moore or Chomsky is a bit hypocritical in itself.

Because their view of the Cuban situation is hopelesly obsolete. Even if Castro dies tomorrow and Cuba somehow becomes capitalist (which it won't), the Krazy Kubans aren't getting their haciendas, sugar plantations, rum factories and Mafia ties back the way they were in 1958. That just ain't gonna happen and all the goofy "freedom flights" and stuff aren't going to change anything. There are others reasons for calling the Miami Cubans "Krazy" but that's a topic for a separate thread.

If true, this puts them greatly at odds with Iraqi Iraqis, given the size and scope of the resisitance over there. And the American Right is famous for having ignored the pleas of various Latin American immigrant groups who have complained loudly about the murderous barbarity of our bully boys in places like Chile, El Salvador, etc., not to mention East Timor and a dozen other places around the globe. Has anyone polled the Burmese-American population about the SLORC regime currently terrorizing their homeland? So for a right-winger to try to lecture me about ignoring the wishes of a foreign population is a study in complete hypocrisy.

And you're ignoring all the polls by those same groups and others that showed the opposite. I did my undergraduate work on questionnaires and surveys and personally think all polls have to be taken with huge grains of salt and that those done in Iraq are particularly useless given the extremely unsettled situation over there. Rather than believing what people are willing to tell a pollster, I prefer to watch what they do and right now, they're supporting a large, organized resistance movement that could not exist without their tacit (and active) support.

Now, I'm not saying that eventually, the U.S.A. cannot make the good parts of what we've done in Iraq outweigh the bad but the way the Bush administration is going about things, that won't happen in the next four years, especially when you take into consideration the effects that the war and occupation are having outside Iraq - on our national debt, for instance, to name but one example.

At any rate, the bottom line is that people like Chomsky and Moore are necessary for not letting us get too self-righteous and arrogant. So of course, a certain portion of the population resents them. That is hardly surprising for what should be obvious reasons.