THIS is why Carli LLoyd needs to be on the field

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jackiesdad, Jul 16, 2011.

1. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    I'm sure all of you have seen the first link here. I just discovered the second one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1141118/index.htm

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/52178230-88/solo-team-2007-cup.html.csp

The magnitude of what Carli Lloyd did back in 2008 cannot be overstated. Her own position on the USWNT was not by any means rock solid. And by supporting Hope Solo at a time when the entire team was ostracizing her took some incredibly huge brass ones. This was Abby Wambach, and Kristine Lilly, and other soccer giants that Lloyd was defying. Although a 50 year old man shouldn't be quoting Harry Potter, this is one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends." - Albus Dumbledore (spoken about Neville Longbottom)

Who knows where the team would be without that act of defiance? Hope Solo, who many argue is the best keeper in the world, may never have rejoined the team if not for that single voice in the wilderness, in a strange foreign country, who stuck up for her while she was being vilified for speaking the truth. Pia often speaks about how important the mood of the team is, and how everybody needs to relax and enjoy the moment. Who else but the Jersey girl would dare to crack a joke last weekend while Wambach was screaming in everybody's faces?

The USWNT needs a strong counterpoint to the intensity of Abby, and they have it in Lloyd. THIS is why she will be starting tomorrow.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Thanks for the support, Mr. Lloyd.
    You are a great father figure for your daughter.

But yeah, there are some good points in there.

3. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    Solo wasn't allowed to play or train with the team during the tour, and only midfielder Carli Lloyd broke ranks to sit next to her on the bench, visit her in her room and join her for meals.

so the ostracization continued even during the post-Olympic tour? what was the point of having Hope Solo join them?

"okay Hope, it's been a month, you've been on a three game post Olympic tour and were still ostracized and eating alone and afterall, we really need a good keeper so I guess you're back in''

If I was Hope I don't think I'd ever have played another game for the US.

of course maybe economics played a role, they earn at least some money training/playing for the US and I've always wondered if that didn't factor into the equation.

4. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    She's an very good player and have proven her worth. Lots of dumbass schmucks around here been spreading the hate that needs to stop.

Carli Lloyd didn't lose the game for us. Stop the bitching.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Carli in particular lost the tournament for us, but the whole business of Pia playing her favorites regardless of competence did. Not just Lloyd but Buehler, LePeilbet (at least when out-of-position), and Rodriguez, just to name four.

As for Lloyd, she had her moments, but she misses the mark too often, and, worse, takes a poor shot instead of passing to open players on the flanks far too often, most notably in yesterday's game.

6. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    The biggest problem I have with Lloyd is a lack of consistency. There are times that I really like her out there and you cannot deny that she has good ball skills. But she continues to make immature decisions on the ball and in my opinion rushes the shoot too much.

The only thing I would be interested in is seeing what Lloyd looks like with a different CM alongside her.

Also for all the Lloyd lovers out there I would like to point out this is the same stuff that people use to say about Aly Wagner (and yes I'm an Aly Wagner lover so I remember it lol) CM is a tough position and CM are typically the players who dictate the flow of the game. Like I said, I would like to see what Lloyd would do with another CM before I completely rule her out.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Really? So IYO people can't say what's on their mind. They're dumbasses?

I'm not a big fan of Lloyd. I was a season ticket holder for the Chicago Red Stars and I still can't forget how she was terrible in Chicago.
    Even besides that IMO, she does have a rocket shot. But that's it.

If you call that hate then so be it.

Having said that, she didn't lose this tournament for the US. However, the Lloyd/Boxx combo was a disaster. It's time for Shannon Boxx to retire.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was on the FIFA technical committee's All Star team as one of the best holding mids. Just saying.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that's all fine. I'm a Shannon Boxx fan. I'm also a Notre Dame fan. I've watched her play since the mid nineties. But in all honesty, she's not what she used to be and has slowed down considerably, IMO.
    We do have better options with younger kids now.

10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That list had players like Bartusiak and Laura Georges over Kumagai. I wouldn't exactly say that list is the best source.

However, Boxx had an average tournament. Had some bad games but also had some good games. Though it is time for her to retire.

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    No, this is why Carli Lloyd needs to be on the field:

[​IMG]

So she can score plenty of points in Gaelic football.