Pre-match: This is the End, My Friend, the End -Fire v. Toronto 9.29.19 4:00

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Sep 28, 2019.

?

What happens tomorrow?

1. Fire win (and maintain that ever so slim chance)

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Fire win (and New England win, so an early winter for the Fire)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Fire Tie

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Fire Lose in a fitting tribute to the Hauptman Era

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  5. Something stupid happens

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  6. Malort

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  7. Rubber Dick

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  8. Raccoon makes his final appearance

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  9. The Fire lose and Paunovic is canned on the spot

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  10. The Fire lose and Paunovic is caned on the spot

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  11. Rodriguez Out (win, tie or lose)

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  12. Hauptman shows up in the stands and romantically hugs Don W (iron81). Turns out, they were in love

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  13. The stadium crashes down around all of us

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Seems a fitting end to Bridgeview. Close but no cigar. NE won, so this result didn't matter anyways.

harrylee773 and xtomx repped this.
  2. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a tradition to honor 2-2 seems bout right

3. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To me this whole season is on Pauno. Say what we want about the crap of our GM whom is not good but he did give Pauno a playoff calibre team.

GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly.
    This is on Paunovic.

goldclover and GHjelm repped this.
  5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016....Wooden Spoon
    2017....3rd
    2018....20th
    2019....17th (with one game to go)

These two assholes MUST go.....

Sparky98, bunge, Fussballer and 3 others repped this.
  6. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed about this season. The problem with NRod is that the only way he can build a playoff team in one year is to sacrifice the previous 2-3 years. There is no consistancy. If this team stayed exactly the same, I give them a 75% chance of making the playoffs next year. But, the way the contract were built, it's impossible to keep anything close to a full team together year over year. Also, he should have fired Pauno a long time ago.

Old Man!, goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Katai subs in at the 63rd minute and scores in the 68th minute.

bunge and xtomx repped this.
  8. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    ....and the prognostication award goes to....

Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  9. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    after having the Fire's most dangerous chance abut 38 seconds after coming on, and overall completely changing the dynamic of the match.

recipe for a draw:
    Katai 2 TFC 1
    TFC 1 Pawno 0

predicted the result on the way in when my bro related to me that the group ticket salesperson who sold them their cub scout tix told them the tix were $20 ea, when they were actually $28 ea after fees. Said I, "that's perfect. the only thing more perfect will be if the Fire blow the lead in the last 15 minutes and tie 2-2"

I do think it's the best possible result - a win that had no effect on the team's future would have drifted down the memory hole within a week. This laughably predictable failure will linger as the appropriate shit cherry on the fecal sundae the hauptman regime served up for the last decade.

Bon Appetit!

chiladd repped this.
  10. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Frankowski finally made an impact these last 4-6 weeks, it took him a while to get adjusted to the league.

bunge, rooked, goldclover and 2 others repped this.
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yep, and the team should be rebuilt around him, Katai and Gaitan for 2020 and beyond.

bunge, rooked, chiladd and 1 other person repped this.
  12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it was a tie, it was always going to be a tie. We opened TP with a tie (******** MATT REIS) and we close the Geek with one as well - if this stadium were a human it would would be Frank Yallop.

Was nice to go there one last time, although the damn hour drive won't be missed. Getting 3rd row seats just off of the field for $20 each is a thing of past, which sucks for me, but I think the team's future is bright and next year will be transcendent for the franchise and soccer in the city, so I'll try not to whine too hard.

bunge, lethargytartare, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  13. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He demonstrated from day one he could be an impact. Is it more that he finally adjusted to Pauno's screwball tactics? I dont think he's ever looked out of place.. I mean he's had less then stellar games but he's always looked as if he could not only make it , but make an impact in the league.

xtomx repped this.
  14. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Man, it was fun seeing people that I have not seen in years! Was hoping for a Fire win and a New England loss. Didn't happen. This match really was an end to a major chapter in the history of Chicago soccer. Never thought it would end this way. I felt much happier after the last Fire match at Soldier Field before the opening of our new soccer specific stadium. Right now, I feel sad and a bit indifferent. Keep hoping for the best! It is because of playing at Soldier Field that I really developed a strong dislike for the Chicago Bears. Keep those lard asses off of our field! Sorry. I know that there are plenty of Bear fans on these boards. I have nothing against football, besides the brain damage to its players, but I really hate the way that these pound challenged humans do so much damage to a perfectly good soccer field. Hopefully, I will once again see the day when the Chicago Fire leave Solder Field for good to play in a soccer specific stadium.

Mac97, bunge, GHjelm and 2 others repped this.
  15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe is thinking BIG, he has three years to see if he can get 40k or 50k to attend the FIRE games. If he could make this happen, then we could live with sharing the stadium. If he can't I hope he's been looking into getting us a SSS in the city, because getting 15k-20k won't be good enough.

Joe is a smart man, so I'm going to trust him, until he shows me he can't be trusted.

chiladd repped this.
  16. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The idea that we will Ever have an average regular season game attendance over 30k is funny. Better get some real stars, kick ass and actually win championships again and...oh yeah...I still would not bet on that...40-50k...that is funny. Being at SF is not going to somehow fill seats just because seats are there. I will be happy if we come close to 25k average and have a well run franchise.

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think (hope) that Joe will give it three years to see where we stand attendance wise. Say we average 22k in 2020, then 27k in 2021 and 32k. If Joe could see the potential then 50k is possible. But if we are in 15-20k range, that's not going to cut it and hopefully Joe has a plan B (SSS). He has the money (is he willing to spend another 250-300 million), he's a local guy he probably has some pull (is he willing to use it). He's already has about a half billion in this project, I can't see him being happy with 15-25k crowds in SF.

In my opinion Joe's going to try going BIG and see if he could fill SF (like he has said in his interviews), if it doesn't work out he'll have a plan B (SSS). So far he's said and done everything right, so I'm going to trust him that he'll get this right.

GHjelm and goldclover repped this.
  18. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago

Anyone who thinks the Fire should *stay* in NSF doesn't belong anywhere near the club.

The field there will suck *always*. It is *shit*, and that is *before* the football players rip the ******** out of it.

The maximum dimensions are so damn narrow it's like playing bumper pool.

lethargytartare, bunge and goldclover repped this.
  19. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 firefan2001, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Yes all that SUCKS, but if (That's a BIG if) Joe thinks he could fill the stadium. All that can be fixed or worked out, maybe we could have are own groundskeeper. Joe has already put a lot of money into this (400-500 million), so I think he knows what he's doing. Let's give he the benefit of the doubt.

The field is plenty big enough, it could fit a 72-75 yard x 120 yard field (NFL field is 120 yards long). Yes I'm sure EVERYBODY would prefer a 25-35k SSS, but if Joe thinks he could fill the stadium then it would be worth it. I believe we have a 3 year lease, then we could re-up for 2 years, 2 years, 2 years and 2 years. So say it doesn't come close to filling the stadium after 3 three years and he's not happy about it (hopefully he's working on plan B a SSS, during that time). Giving him 2 years to get a SSS built before we have sign another 2 year lease.

20. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago

No, it can't. Football fields are only 53 yards wide and the stadium wasn't built to house the team areas for soccer anywhere but in the limited sideline space.

When they marked off the field at NSF last time the width was closer to 65 yards.

The *field* sucks for soccer. It's OK for exhibition matches, but having been to every damn game the Fire have played there (and the place before it) it is *not* a good place for a team to play all of their games.

Repeating stupid mistakes isn't a way to earn the benefit of the doubt.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    FWIW, the corner sideline sections of Soldier Field are removable, if they really want to give the team some extra width. Doubt they'd do it though, especially in the fall.

22. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree that a soccer specific stadium would be best. But, I don't remember anything negative about the size of the field at Copa.

harrylee773 and firefan2001 repped this.
  23. Any of the last 4-5 Copas played at SF. I add it up to at least 70 yards wide. It may be a few yards short of 110.
    upload_2019-10-1_18-12-18.jpeg

24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, maybe not 75, but they could fit a 72-73 field.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/489...ebaff8029c!2m2!1d-87.6166884!2d41.8623132!3e3

Yes, everybody would prefer a 75 x 120, SSS, but this is where we are. Considering how much Joe has spent so far (450-500 million), I'm sure that he has a plan B, if he can't fill Soldier Field (like he's been saying in all his interviews).

25. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this true? They do it in Atlanta (Yeah I know Blank owns both teams and the stadium), I'm sure it would be at our cost.