this is ridicule

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dasoccerplayafosho, Dec 15, 2005.

1. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    did you even see me bringing any "ancient" history?...i think the only team in the world based on history it's Uruguay...

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, if we advance out of this group, we probably will.

You might not, though.

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody who thinks the odds are ridiculous is encouraged to put their life savings on the line. :p

The link doesn't give the odds anymore, but I'm convinced enough that neither Mexico or USA will win. I also would have given you Greece and 50-1 odds in UEFA 04, so what do I know. :eek:

And no, I'm not taking that bet either way. :)

4. arcturus rex

arcturus rex BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 10, 2005

As Hamlet put it: Aye, there is the rub.

Pardon my Middle English.

5. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translated from the original Danish, no doubt... :D

6. arcturus rex

arcturus rex BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 10, 2005
    'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd...

7. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    What is this 'behind closed doors' rubbish? Why do (some - actually, most) US fans feel the need to delude themselves that the world is secretly scared of them but won't admit to it?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1663282,00.html

The fact is that the US gets pretty much the right amount of respect due to a solid but unspectacular team who pulled out a couple of decent results in 2002 but has hardly set the world alight since. For christ's sake, some of you really need to get over yourselves.

8. tabgio

tabgio New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    NYC
    whats more perplexing is how ivory coast is at 66/1 and ghana is 250/1.

9. jaxoncrabb

jaxoncrabb Red Card

Dec 11, 2005
    Bulumakanka
    Who won that game?

10. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Those odds seem pretty fair. Mexico has an easy group and even if we advance from our group we may face Brazil. That in itself should make Mexico twice more likely to advance to the round of 16.

If we switched groups with Mexico I bet the odds would be pretty much flipflopped as well.

11. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    the truth is, the only reason we weren't ranked is because we didn't do all that swell 8 years ago. Okay, we got hammered, but this is a different team now.
    we've beat mexico both times that it's really counted
    2002 WC, 2-0 USA
    winner qualifies in concacaf, 2-0 USA
    And we had more chances, better chances, and more posession than Germany, but a hand ball on the line that would have resulted in an almost definate goal and a red card was missed. In all honesty that game was about as fair as the 1986 world cup final.
    saying that the odds of mexico are twice as good to win the world cup, are, as i said: ridicule.
    If we didn't have the WC 94 scores affecting the seeding, we probably would have one of the easiest groups in the tournament (like mexico) instead of one of the harder ones.
    Truth is: mexico will probably advance, because of their group, and it will be very difficult for USA to advance, even though we all know we can do it. You never want to be in a group with the 2nd seeded team in the world, Italy, and an underdog team that could beat you if you don't work hard.
    There can be no denying that the odds are very, very wrong. England 13/2? come on, everyone can deny that one at least. USA 100/1, just about the same.

12. aila76

aila76 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Auburn, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were to bet on the World Cup, I would probably put a very small bet down on USA at 100-1, although I'd put larger ones on Brazil and Germany. Germany in particular has good odds from a betting perspective, just because I think people tend to underestimate how huge the home advantage is, I mean just look at how far South Korea got last time (and yes, refs were involved, but that's part of the home advantage)...

13. Adidas4Life

Adidas4Life Member

May 9, 2005
    jaxsoncrabb,

The Germs got their only goal on a set piece from a BS free kick/dive.....Don't get me started on the non-call, hand ball on the goal line !!!!! Lastly, Tony Sahna should have buried a great service ball from Mathis with under 2 to play........... The Germs even said that they were lucky to win !!

If memory serves me right, MX hosted the cup in 86 and what, didn't make it out of the quarters ??? Lost to ????? you guessed it the CONCACAF killa's, Germany, who lost in the finals to ARG.

MX, stop bumpin' your gums about how great you are. You didn't even go deep in 86 and in Azteca. Enough said.

14. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    *sigh*

The odds reflect the money placed on the teams by people in Britain along with the bookies expectations of the teams.

The US are now 100-1 because they're in the GOD and are highly unlikely to win the whole thing. By all means if you think 100-1 is insulting put some money on it, I'm sure your faith will be seen through when you collect your winnings...

England's odds are short because money is placed on them whether people think they're going to win or not.

Please, will some of you get a clue and get over this whole 'They're underestimating us' crap.