This is Greek football

Discussion in 'Greece & Cyprus' started by O elefadas, Sep 12, 2003.

1. O elefadas

O elefadas New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Athens, Greece
    This is going to be a photo thread about Greek football, its going to be updated from time to time.
    So... here we go:

[​IMG]

2. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    That is an awesome photo. That one even made Sports Illustrated here in the States.

3. O elefadas

O elefadas New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Athens, Greece
    This one is for the mouse
    [​IMG]

4. The2ndMouse

The2ndMouse New Member

Why!? Are you trying to make me sad on the day of the big derby!? ;)

LOL!

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Really? What issue?

By the way, I'm half greek, my dad is a olympiakos fan, i saw the light, and now sing with Thira Deka Tria whenever i get the chance.

6. The2ndMouse

The2ndMouse New Member

LOL!

This is what usually happens! People are close to Olympiakos when they are born... Reach Panathinaikos Status when they are young and confused and end up at AEK when they are mature enough! ;)

(Stick around man! :) )

7. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    It was during the spring of 2002, shorty after the match. Sorry, dont know the exact issue.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait to go to Greece next year. I think I may try to take in a slightly tamer game than the first photo though :D

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    When you get back Nico, you better get some Panahinaikos in you. And try to stand with the Thira, even if you dont have a clue as to what they are singing about.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to start Greek classes soon, so hopefully I will have some clue of what they're talking about.

11. O elefadas

O elefadas New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Athens, Greece
    No need for classes: We always talk about , Doiikisi, Vardinogianeoi, the Gavroi and last but not least: Kokkalis (aka Crocus)

12. The2ndMouse

The2ndMouse New Member

Nikodemus,

fun aside, it is interesting that you are going to be taking classes and coming to Greece. I am sure you will find many interesting things here...

To be perfectly honest with you (and I understand why the elephant cant be! ;) ), when you come it will be nice to see a game in the new Olympiakos "Karaiskaki" Stadium being built as we speak.

AEK were supposed to have a new one of their own too! But despite demolishing our old Stadium we are now stuck in courts with neighbours and the municipality.

If Panathinaikos will be using the new Olympic Stadium (being renovated for the Olympics, it will be interesting to go there too, but unless you go to an "important" game it will be too big for the average attendance hence losing in "atmosphere".

Yes, If you are willing to go after the "atmoshpere" part, you should go to see a derby in Toumba, Salonica (PAOK) and Leoforos (when Panathinaikos or AEK are playing there, if they will be still playing there...)

Anyway, next year ask and we will give you the relevant instructions for you do do your groundhopping safely!

13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

Just some points on Greece's match against Lithuania:

Positives:

1. Great play on the goal. Maniatis played a couple of good passes out wide to stretch the Lithuanian defense: first to Torosidis, whose excellent one-touch pass kept time and space open for Greece to play the ball around, and second to Holebas, who had enough time to take a touch, pick his target man, and then plump in a beautiful cross. Lazaros also did well to get into Lithuania's blind spot, make the run, and finish with aplomb. Great play all around.

[​IMG]
    2. Sokratis was MOTM. He made life impossible for Lithuania throughout the game. He closed them down at every turn and left them with no space whatsoever. He also did really well to both disrupt and frustrate Lithuania's rhythm, keeping the game firmly in our control. And he came to the relief of a fledgling Holebas on more than one occasion. He's the bedrock of this team and so far Greece's most outstanding player on our road to Rio.

3. Fresh faces like Lazaros and Manolas again demonstrate that Greece has options we all too often willingly ignore. Lazaros was fantastic. He showed some really clever touches and movement. At times his challenges were more wild than measured, but he showed great determination and spirit. Also, he's a bigger, more athletic, more energetic, more technically gifted, and stronger as a player than Salpingidis and this game proved he can be just as incisive, which is Salpingidis' greatest strength. Given time, Lazaros could develop a good understanding with Torosidis down that right wing, but I would rather see Torosidis maraud down that wing on his own in 3-5-2 system, as he did with Roma.

Manolas looks really great from a development standpoint. Avraam never looked as assured of himself in his first run of games for Greece as Manolas has, so that's a very good sign given how well Avraam performed before his injury. Only time will tell if Manolas will become indispensable for Greece, but so far the prognosis is very promising and I would like to see him get more minutes.

Worries:

1. I suspect Lazaros got the nod because Salpingidis was very tired (due to his involvement in the GSL play-offs). Although, Santos could be looking to inject surprises into the attacking third to make our team less predictable, so that's a possibility. Manolas only played because Avraam was out injured.

2. Holebas was our worst player. Too many chances came flying in because he failed to close players down or because he lost out on challenges for the ball. We desperately need to address our problems at left-back. I like him as a left-winger, but not as a left-back. I'm of the opinion we should have a back three once Kyriakos is fully fit. Sokratis at LB, Kyriakos at CB, and Manolas at RB. That will solve our problems and allow us to play a more attacking style. If we play stronger teams, I'd put Moras at CB and use Kyriakos as a quasi-libero similarly to how Ramos was used by Spain against Brazil in the final of the Confederations Cup.

3. We have to radically overhaul our midfield. The games against Austria and Lichtenstein are a good starting point. Karagounis is going to be 37 and Katsouranis is going to be 34 come the finals. The 2010 World Cup was a disaster until Kaita inexplicably got himself sent off and having these two oldies around four years later isn't making our chances appear any rosier. Karagounis still makes a great impact player. Katsouranis is more useful as depth or as someone who can come on late and close games. They absolutely can not start matches any longer. And it's not like we don't have options, I just need to cite how well Lazaros and Manolas performed to make that point.