This has me a little intrigued

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by sam_gordon, Nov 20, 2021.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    A player tracker that gets worn around the cleats. $150.
    https://playermaker.com/

I'm assuming it can't (or shouldn't) be worn in games. I'd be more intrigued if it could be. And, since DS has maybe 20 games left, I don't see a good ROI. However, those of you with younger kids (looking at you @NewDadaCoach ), it may be something worth checking out.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s definitely worn during games, as I know some clubs have a deal with them.

The one downside I have with them, not that it matters with kids a lot, but it’s no heart monitor included since it’s worn on the foot.

3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    What's more important? Knowing the heart rate or getting the information on touches? I do wonder how accurate the touch count is.

4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a coach’s perspective, monitoring a heart rate is important, especially with the [seemingly] uptick in heart-related issues.

I’m a big fan of tracking distance traveled and the heat maps too.

We all know touches in a game aren’t going to be incredibly high. None of the monitors track quality of touches either, so number could be somewhat meaningless too. Ha!

sam_gordon repped this.
  5. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
    With the GPS trackers + cameras settings that are becoming more widespread, you can tell some things like whether touches are part of a progression forward or end in a stop in touches and bunch of players running backward (presumably to defend out of possession).

6. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, crazy "uptick" in heart related issues lately. Wonder what changed in the last year or so? Might be that global warming thing I keep hearing about.

7. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    A few of my players have them and it automatically sends me a report when they “sync” them after each training/practice. I think it’s pretty useful data for both Coach and player. Eg I can look at things like one touch, 2 touch, long possession and see if I accomplished a certain objective or look at work rate/sprints and see if I had proper level (or lack of on a recovery session) on intensity. The foot metrics are useful for players, it’s stunning to see the left vs. right data. They also like and challenge themselves based on some of the more “flashy” metrics like shot velocity, top speed, distance covered, etc. Overall, solid tool. $150 is a pretty good price point considering there isnt any subscription associated, just buy the sensors and you are good to go. I will say, in reference to the comment above about the validity of the data, it is important to cross-reference with another source. We are lucky enough to tape all of our games and trainings so I can watch and tell a kid something like, “yeah you played one touch a lot but less than 40% of them actually found a teammates foot” or “sure you had a bunch of distance but that’s because you just chase the ball instead of using pressure/cover.”