This could get interesting

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CLG431, Jan 17, 2007.

1. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be probable, but it is my sincere hope that all teams will have used their DP slot or have plans to use it before the beginning of next season. It would add great excitement to the offseason watching the Galaxy squirm with one DP and two DP players on their roster, one of which has to go. What if all the DP slots are used up? I wonder what the MLS stand is on that. In any event, the Galaxy have set themselves up for this one, and they better not let them get away with trading with another AEG team for a sack of gym socks.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070116&content_id=81949&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

2. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    You know, I've always wondered why MLS pays LD so much. The guy obviously only want to play here. Can't they just say that they're going to trade him to Wislaw unless he renegotiates down to 350k?

3. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Doesn't look like the Crew will be using theirs, why not trade it for LA's next 5 first round draft picks or something along those lines? Who knows, they might actually get a decent player with one of those picks.

4. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people on the fire board were saying something interesting. What's to stop AEG from trading one of their other team's DP slots to LA. Nothing. And they wouldn't be stuck in a tough spot either. Someone on the Fire board said they could trade their DP for Jaqua...

5. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    Good point. The other thing is that AEG still have enough pull within the league that they could really push the issue that having Spice Boy and Landycakes in La La land is really in the best interest of the league and get the rule changed. It was their idea in the first place and if ticket sales go up in each market that has a DP, I could see other teams thinking that adding another DP to each team would help revenues even more.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    But does AEG really have that pull? AEG is down to what, three teams now and according to Grant Wahl's article about the Beckham signing, AEG pushed for the designated player rule for two years. It wasn't an overnight thing.

I'm not saying that one AEG team couldn't trade a DP slot on the cheap, but I really don't see it happening.

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Because he's good enough that for a million a year the list of Euro clubs that wouldn't take him is much much much much smaller than the list of clubs that would roll out the red carpet.

8. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me either. That teams fan's would go postal if their DP slot was sent away for a sack of gym socks. Plus the GM would probably be hung in the public square. The bar has been set high with Chivas sending theirs for Guevera

9. LegalBeagle

LegalBeagle Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Springboro, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we do it well, this could be the best use of our DP slot. Five first round draft picks --- sounds about right. It wins the Jeez! response --- which is roughly equivalent to the market value of one DP slot. LA must be raped for the deal to be fair.

10. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However if there are 3-5 unused DP slots at the time, then it will drive down the baraining power. Could get interesting if 6-7 have been used and then the grandfathered players (Adu, Johnson, Ruiz, and Donovan) are in need of one.