This article confuses me

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Marchetti, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    George Best did play for the Earthquakes in the olden days. I'm not sure about the current Portsmouth owner having owned the Quakes at some stage.

My husband found a video clip of what George Best considers as one of his best goals (if not the best) in his career (he's written it in his autobio) at Spartan. It was a fantastic finish! A few months ago, a sort of "similar" play was produced by fellow Irishman, Ronnie O'Brien of FC Dallas (one of the candidates for Goal of the Year)---it was beautiful to watch!

3. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Yes, the current Pompey owner, Milan Mandaric, owned the Earthquakes.

4. jussen1

jussen1 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    SJ
    Yes, George Best was the best soccer player I've ever seen in person and that includes Pele. Milan is aware of our situation and it's a bummer he has his hands full with Portsmouth. I was at the game George Best scored that goal, it wasright in front of me Section C row6 seat12.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only did Milan Mandaric own the NASL San Jose Earthquakes, he was the franchise's majority founding member.

Though not mentioned in the linked timeline (as the timeline mainly pertains to the history of the team's name), Mandaric sold the Earthquakes in 1977 or 1978 and bought the Oakland Stompers (previously the Connecticut Bicentennials) for the one year (1978) the Stompers existed as such. After the Stonpers were moved and became the Edmonton Drillers the following year, Mandaric reacquired (bought back, I assume) the Earthquakes and had gotten George Best to play for the Quakes in 1980 and 1981.

I hope that helped! :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G