think realistically

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by Marchetti, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I honestly think Oklahoma could be the new Green Bay of MLS, even if a team is in OKC. Imagine Euro football snobs thinking about American soccer, with teams in LA, NYC, Chicago, and OKLAHOMA CITY. That would be something to talk about.

2. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I and a whole lot of other people have no problem with that. We can be whatever anyone wants as long as a team is here.

Right now we can all admit that the majority of revenue will be coming from the turnstiles instead of TV for at least the forseeable future. This is why a team would be able to thrive in a smaller market like OKC. Control all (or most all) the revenue from the stadium, control scheduling and consistently get capacity (or near capacity) and they'll be successful.

The trick is convincing people to go which I don't believe would be that difficult, especially in the beginning. The OKC metro has never been in a position to have themselves regularly featured on TV and national media (and I said the metro/OKC municipality. Of course OU & OSU get on TV but they're a) not based in OKC and b) are universities which are a different animal). People will be more likely to support an organization that will get the national coverage that a team will get (even though it's far from other sports). Oklahomans do have a bit of inferiority complex and this would help.

Also, getting the opportunity to play other big cities like LA, San Jose, Chicago, NY/NJ, and especially Dallas will also help. A rivalry with Dallas is almost a certainty and would be a fun game (or series of games) to go to.

Any organization would have to be extremely smart and get in good with the youth and adult soccer leagues in the metro from Edmond down to Norman. OKC is also pretty family friendly.

There are multiple reasons why it could and would work. We can only hope the economics of MLS become more promissing soon to bring the investors out into the light to get a team. As soon as the risk factor goes down some, the investors will be there.

3. yknscr4

yknscr4 New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    okc ok
    word i'm all about getting a mls team here most deff! but i also wouldnt mind if it was like half and half. half mls and the other half wmls. cause heck man that would rule for the ladys too cause they are just as good if not better than some of those male players out there. but i would totally vote for any "MAJOR" soccer deal built here ANYWHERE in oklahoma. my favorite team in the mls is SJ EARTHQUAKES even if they are in last place i still love them and i have to go to kansas and dallas er that is the only place my mom will take me as of now to go watch them play. it would just be much more better if we had our own stadium here. i'm sure we'd be able to pack out a staduim no problem and it would be a good investment for our state and also bring in some good tax money for our state from out of state people coming to watch. word. i'm all for it lets pray and see this happen! fo sho!