Things that cause Global Warming

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by FeverNova1, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine, as long as you people from the above countries keep some of the shame you heap on the US for yourselves, considering that you're getting worse and worse when it comes to the enviornment.

2. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    I totaly agree that oter countrys need to take responsibility to, and i think it is shamefull that my country has increased there polution so much latly when what we really shud be doing is cutting back.
    But on the posetive side ouer goverment have recently approved investing serious money inn procjekts both inn Norway and abrode with the goal of reducing CO2 emissons and oter polutions with more then norways total polution per year today.
    Among those procjekts 3 billion norwegian a year to save the rain forest.

and it seems to me that the US is the western country that seems least willing to make dramatic change. Just look at the attmeted stalling of the balie meeting.

When it comes to China and oter big developing countrys i belive there shud be some rules for them to, i mean it kinda limits the effect if cut backs inn the western world is made up for buy developing countrys.

CUS then what was the point of your previous comment ?

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, 24% vs. 6%.

QED

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    If anyone, ANYWHERE, doubts the totalitarian sensibilities of the Global Climate Change mafia...well, just read this.

Sig Heil, baby.

http://www.lttonline.co.uk/lttxtraarticle.php?uid=7064

5. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
  6. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Let's have fun with math! You're a per capita kind of guy, so let's do this. From my previous link, we find that the US has increased it's emissions by 6.6% from '97 to '04. So from here, I have determined that the US' population increased by 6.86%. So, let's say that in '97 each person in the US was responsible for 10,000 tons of emissions per year. When we apply the growth rates to each we get:

10,000 * 1.066 = 10660
    1 * 1.0686 = 1.0686

To get the ratio, we get

10660 / 1.0686 = 9975.6691 or down by 0.24%.

Sure it may not seem like much, but add in this number--the real GDP (adjusted for 2000 dollars):

1997: 8703.5
    2004: 10675.8

or a very healthy 18.47% growth in the economy. (BTW they have a different population number that comes out to a 7.15% increase, but we'll keep the first one because I'm lazy and have actual work to do). So the US has increased it's economy while reducing it's emissions RIGHT NOW. Let me know when any Kyoto signors can say that.

A while back I read an article that (and I may get the actual numbers wrong but the proportions are about right) said that the US has about 6% of the world's population. It also emits 22% of the world's pollution. Most people stop there and say that the US are a bunch of slobs. What they don't consider is that the US is responsible for close to 30% of the world's economy (total GDP IIRC).

So, think of it this way. You are CEO of Earth, Inc. Your US division has 6% of the company's total employees and is responsible for 30% of revenue at a cost of 22% of the pollution. Is it absolutely a one to one correct analogy? Probably not and pretty over-simplistic, but close enough.

Would you be happy with the performance of your US division?

7. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Well you make a good argument for that the US has been no worse then most oter wester countrys inn the most recent years. and as i said befor i think many countrys need to take responsibility for the climate not only the US.

But the point is we are poluting to much and as a hole we need to polute less. and then the country who is responsibel for 1/4 of said polution needs to make major changes.

Exatly how those changes are to be implmented i think i will leav to far more intelligent folks but things do have to change.

and as for you creating 30% of the revenue and therfor comperativly less polution per production unit well i think that is good, it mean that if we can translate some of what you do to oter parts of the world there production to will become less damegeing to the climate.

But large countrys like India and China is growing fast and so are theire amount of polution and i dont think they will be convinced that they shud stay poor and you shud stay rich because atm you produce less polution comperd to your production.

I think the amount of polution allowed form each country has to be some how tied to population land area and the current amount of polution

Cause your argument about prodcing more for less polution comperd to most of the rest of the world is not going to convince many oter countrys.

I mean i hope you can see that it wont seem very fair to folks inn China that they shud stay poor to keep us riche.

So what i think we have to do it use alternative energy sources
    -Thorium
    -Host of renewabel (solar, wind, wave)
    -R and D to find new way to power over lifes

because if we cant do that we will all need to reduce ouer standard of liveing, particularly us inn the rich countrys.

Here are some GDP nummbers for Norway

1997: $120.5 billion
    2006: $213.6 billion

Increas of about 77.1% o_O

Population

1997:4,405,000 million
    2007:4,770,000 million

Increase of about 8.3%

not that this changes anything i just thogth it woude be fun to look up :)

8. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    BTW: New US Dept of Energy report is out (em. mine):

Yeah Norway.

China is not going to forsake any limits on emissions to 'stay poor'. They will forsake any limits on emissions so that they can become rich.

9. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    well that looks like there are some good news :)

It`s not like i hate the US or think you are the source of all evil. I just think all countrys need to take this problem seriously and the impression i have gotten is that it is generaly not considerd to be so serious inn the US. But that impression migth be wrong.

and yes i think china migth become a major problem. But then if we are abel to devlope some non poluting energy sources, they migth be abel to countiue there grow without it haveing a to detremental effect on the enviorment.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you mean to say is that you don't think we are taking it seriously because our government is not mandating a solution to business.

But why is the mandate necessary if the goals are already being achieved?

You seem to me to be the same person that rails against America's aid to foriegn nations that while already is more generous than any other nation in the history of earth, is not good enough because government aid per capita is not as high as other nations. But then you discount the amount of private aid that the world's most generous citizenry donates per year.

I don't know how many times I need to explain to a european that we do things differently here. Government is not the be all and end all to life's problems. We trust private solutions and for the most part, they work very well.

And returning our economy to early 90's levels of production is a non starter. We have been both successful and responsible and the entire world has benefited.

One final point, well rather a question. Is global warming or climate change or whatever it is being called today THE biggest problem in the world right now. Or is it starvation, disease, lack of opportunity or lack of drinkable water.

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Hold on a second. The US may not have ratified Kyoto, but the government has been actively involved in all sorts of environmental mandates, including regulations on business.

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Stuff George Bush has done (em. theirs):

And lots of other stuff including funding for finding alternatives to fuel our cars.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. And oddly no credit ever given to us.

It's like when I am refered to as an environmental obstructionist when I have a carbon footprint below 2 tons. It's not enough to walk the walk, is it?

14. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I kinda liked this map Countries GDP as US States:

[​IMG]

Norway's GDP is about the same as Minnesota. Not sure how accurate that is (originally from here), but there you go.

15. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    The goals are allready been achieved seriously ??

We are no were near the cuts nessesary to limit the dameges of climate change.

Are there some good news ?

yes but we are only talking about very small steps inn the correct direction.

As for the part about charity i do not see how that is realated at all.

But if you are going to make statments about that you are the most generous citizense inn the world then i woude like to see the nummbers to back up that statment.

As for me not knowing enoff about how you do things inn america i think i probebly know a lot more about america then most americans know about norway or europe :)

remember that wile europe migth be about the sames size as the US it is far more diverse and has a much larger population.

finaly i also think not evrything can be the reponsibility of big companys, cause well they will do what earns them the most amount of money.

So inn the case of reducing emissons big companys are not going to do that as long as there are no economic incentivs for them to do so.

Funny map :)

GDP per capita Norway $46,300
    GDP per capita USA $43,800

So considering that Minnesota has a sligthy larger population that is probebly correct.

16. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Didn't you know that global warming causes these things?!? That's on another thread though.

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly how much is that?

http://thenewsbuckit.com/2007/06/united-states-most-charitable-country.html

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everytime I see that avatar I want to slap you. Any interest in a second hand Manning?

19. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Romo's a good guy except I think he had a little too much Jessica Saturday night since he played like crap on Sunday.

20. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    now i`m a bit busy atm so dont have time to look it up but if i remember correctly the experts say about 50% withinn 10-12 years. and that was befor they dicoverd new info that leads one to belive that the climate is changeing even faster then they feared.

Impressive charity nummbers there, but as i understand them they include a lot of domectik aid. and a lot of it hardly goes to the needy i mean colleges and churches.

Not that i don`t belive you on that the us publick gives substansial amounts to the needy.

To be perfectly hounest if i get to choose i prefer the US as the sole superpower inn the world. I mean comperd to past superpowers like th british empire, sovjet, roman empire you look pretty good :)
    also comperd to potensial future superpowers like China, India and United Europe i think the world coulde do worse then have the US as the leading power.

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn Beck hit upon NBC's journalism "advocacy," via Brian Williams, of environmentally conscious LED lights; revealing that NBC: Brian Williams, somehow "forgot" to disclose that its parent; i.e., General Electric, makes such LED lights! Matter of fact, it exclusively makes such lights. Full disclosure? Hardly. Read more here!

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GE does not exclusivly make LED's. Sylvania and Lumileds also do as well as a shitload of crappy Chinese companies

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50% of what?

Thanks. We try :D

24. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    again havent looked it up but i thinkit was down to 50% of the emissons from 1997.

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be rude or anything but if you are gonna buy a line of bullshit it's best to get your facts straight.