Thierry Henry: "I want to play in the US, and I love NY"

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by RedBulls, Oct 17, 2007.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    how does he feel about NJ?

if this is relevant news now, then these are the lines from the article that stick out, imo:

------
    “I think everybody knows I love America,” Henry said late last week in a telephone interview from Clairefontaine, France, where he was training with the national team for qualifying matches for the 2008 European Championship.
    ------

------
    “I always say that one day I can play over there,” Henry said. “I would love to. But it’s still early. Don’t get me wrong, I just love the U.S. I don’t know why. I love the way you live. I love American sports. For me, it’s a dream to go to training and then see a game of football, basketball, whatever game. For me, New York is the best city in the world.”
    ------

------
    Henry moved to Barcelona in June, in a $32 million transfer deal, and signed a four-year contract that will pay more than $9 million a year.
    -------

2. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha,ha,ha! You are sooooooo funny.

3. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how old will he be when his current contract expires?:rolleyes:

Btw, saw his commercial with Tiger Woods and Roger Federer. Looked like they've formed a mutual admiration society ;)

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was literally just reading this article in my morning paper when you posted this. Wow, it was just like Beckham's comments a few years ago. Seems like a pretty clear signal on his part, no?

But the money thing would have to be worked out. Not sure whether the league or an owner can squeeze out another Becks-like mega-deal.

But that price tag depends a lot on how many years go by until TH would move over here. He's 30 now I think. And equally importantly how he performs at Barca in those years. His last 2 years at Arsenal were far from his best. If that continues there'd be more bargain potential. :D

p.s. I'm a lifetime Arsenal supporter and I have to honestly say that I could take him or leave him with respect to becoming a RBNY player. If Arsene Wenger were the manager of RBNY he would never hire him at this stage in his career. :p

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a 4 year contract. If it didn't happen until then he'd be 34 and frankly, how I saw him degrade physically from 28 to 30, I'd have some doubts about how awesome he'll be at 34.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Perhaps, but the team around him wasn't as good either.

They should cultivate the relationship, the same way they did with Beckham for a couple of years. Then make the pitch for post WC 2010 when he is 33. They would have to factor in buying out one year of his contract, but if everyone does this right, he could be a very marketable name in the US by that time.

His play will dictate a lot over the next 3 years.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's arguable. From last year to this year Arsenal hasn't changed much personnel-wise. The only major summer signings were Sagna at RB & Eduardo up front. Sagna's a regular starter now... Eduardo hasn't quite become so.

And so with essentially the same squad, we're playing way better than last year. One BIG difference is that TH is gone. I think that freed up the rest of the players to break-away from TH's historical repuation & role.

I have watched Henry A LOT, and there was a significant loss in health & performance in the last 2 years.

The big unknown for me is psychological. He was going through marital problems at the time, unbeknownst to most people. He has since divorced his English wife and split London. So if that has a liberating affect on him this year and beyond we shall see.

8. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    I have to agree w/ Bank, Henry's skills have started to diminish. Although part of the reason we were not as successful last year wasn't necessarily because Henry sucked, but he was recovering from injury/no rest b/c of WC/EVERY time down the field we looked for him to score. Now were playing better team football and it's generating better results as the young lads are really stepping up.

I had a bitter taste in my mouth when he left as well, I think it could've been done with more class rather than have countless stories presenting different, often conflicting, reasons he left. Still, he's an Arsenal legend and even at 34 I think he could still do things in MLS.

This sounds to me like the perfect time table to roll out a NYC MLS franchise with Henry as the headliner. It really seems to be falling into place. By that time we'll have added another DP slot and raised the salary cap so he wont be alone, but even if (likely) the franchise struggles early Henry will still put butts in the seats. I think he underestimates Henry's global popularity a bit, I'd say he's in the top 5 known soccer athletes in America.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I get the print edition as well, and I didn't find it. I was hoping for my Wed. morning soccer article. :(

'S'up wit dat?

10. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sick of hearing people on here say that Beckham, Blanco, Henry are washed up. They are not washed up they come to MLS and light up the league.

We have seen all the DPs the only one that has really failed is Denilson. Even Reyna has been decent for the job he has been given.

Just last year people were saying oh Becks won't come til he's 34 and he's already washed up.

"Oh Blanco will never happen."

Well it did ya silly sod Yanks.

11. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry's skills are not eroding... He's just been injury prone recently. He still scored a goal more than every other game or so last year which is a good ratio in the EPL. If you object to the investment on injury grounds fine, but to think Henry isn't up to it on a talent level is crazy.

12. christian_b

christian_b New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but don't forget that team is still very young and is still growing up. With that in mind, I think what he said is fair.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Yep. That was my point. The last two years have seen a youth movement and Henry moving on is a part of that (although I think they would have gladly kept him if he wanted to stay).

As far as his "diminished skills" are concerned, there will be plenty of time to see how he is doing before he is ready to come to the US. It will be interesting to see if he is on the France WC 2010 team and if he plays well.

I am guessing there are plenty of people that thought Angel had diminished skills at Villa as well and Henry is a whole different class above Angel.

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol... if Henry came to the Red Bulls, Arena would play him on LW...

he is not losing anything... he is injury prone tho... but he is still a great player... to say otherwise is ridiculous

15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jesus, it took that long? And it wasn't even from a bitter NYC holdout.

16. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is Reyna's replacement, I'd say no matter how much they pay, it is a steal. And I wouldn't put it past Red Bull to try a name like Henry in Giants Stadium. Especially since the new stadium is taking a very long time to complete.

17. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't entirely true. Van Persie, and Diaby both missed half of the season with injury. Van Persie contributions and presence are easily noticed. Diaby, in my mind, is the most important player to this years success. He has bridged that gape between defense and midfield that has been missing since Veira left. While I think Cesc has made great strides this season, I think it is due large in part to having a midfield general like Diaby behind him which allows him to push more foward and be more creative. Those two players alone are as big an addition (because of health) as any of the summer transfers.

While there haven't been wide sweeping changes on the squad. The ones that Wenger has made have been very important. Sagna's inclusion into the lineup has brought more stability and a bigger attacking threat down the right side. He might be playing the best out of any right back in England right now.
    While no one can argue the health aspect, the performance argument is one that has too many factors to just right off his career as moving in a major downward spiral. He may never be the player he was in 2003 and 2004, but that was a performance of legendary stature. What he may be left with right now are a set of skills that leave him as not the best striker in the world, but still a world class player.

Yes, and I do give him loads of credit for not using it as an excuse as many players in the past have done.

18. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whatever, I always take these quotes with a grain of salt.

NYRB could boast a world best XI based on guys that have said they would play for NY one day. (an a couple that actually did)

19. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a standard athlete thing, keep all your options open.

At least he can back up his word with some bit of reality. He does seem to like it in America, has been at American sports events, does have his commercial in the US now, etc.

He's one of the three soccer players my pigskin-only family knows, so maybe he has a chance here. They do say his name "Theory Hen-REE" though.

20. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Henry is the new Weah. Beautiful. :rolleyes:

21. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    He will come over just in time for the debut of the new NY franchise :D. This is wonderful that players are looking to come play in the US,the exposure will only grow from here. And as far as the racism, I have a feeling many of the great black players from around the world will start to come and play in America instead of dealing with the racism that they receive in Europe. In America we love our atheletes regardless of color. We have come a long way since Mr. Jackie Robinson.

22. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Would certainly be a big draw. He's a cool motherfu**er and has some skills and flair too.

23. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting about the racism.

He certainly didn't get any (other than the odd idiot, I'm sure) in the UK.

The US is an odd one. The US is certainly quite high up on the list of the countries which has a negative attitude towards foreigners / black people, but has down fantastically to make it a complete no-go in sports, which is nice.

24. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think America would be one of the most race-friendly places Henry could come to - especially for sports.

The racism thing in the culture certainly exists, and I'm not going to get into a politics bit of it... But even in the worst places, green goes a hell of a lot further than skin color, and as long as Henry can make money for other people, he'll be treated like a king, the same as every other athlete/performer/entertainer of basically any race.