Thierry Henry announced his retirement. Farewell & thanks TH14. The greatest AFC player ever.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Dec 16, 2014.

1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know it was expected but still it is a bit sad and nostalgic when it happens, TH14 playing days are over now. Thierry Henry retires and joins Sky Sports as a pundit. Bonne chance, Titi and thanks for the memories. Greatest AFC player ever.

BIGHMW repped this.
  2. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    best PL striker ever....Alan who?

BIGHMW repped this.
  3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Henry was breathtaking, and made the extraordinary look routine and effortless.

I don't know about greatest Arsenal player ever though. To me, that's either Tony Adams or Dennis Bergkamp. From a Times piece about the greatest Arsenal players, there was this line about Bergkamp: "Made good players look great and great players look like, well, Thierry Henry." Enough said.

BIGHMW and MisplacedSpainard repped this.
  4. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TH14: Legend.

Waliatiger and BIGHMW repped this.
  5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    best Premiership player ever.

6. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    [​IMG]

BIGHMW repped this.
  7. I've never heard of him

Dec 16, 2014
    N 44°59' 0'' / W 92°46' 0''
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    New guy here. Just wanted to give thanks to TH14 for the memories. I kinda picked Arsenal out of a hat as my favorite team while talking to a spud one day. I didn't even know Arsenal were his derby team. IT was during the summer after the invincibles and I'm sure dude thought I was a bandwagon fan. I just liked the name and the fact we were from London. I hadn't even heard about the invincibles run at the time.

I saw a few games the next season and was hooked. Largely because of Henry. Most elegant footballer I have ever seen.

8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    re-watched the highlights from 06 final...
    if only TH converted those two glorious chances.......

BIGHMW repped this.
  9. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dude did things on the pitch that I could only dream of, and so beautifully. He was like a gazelle. He elevated the standards and class of the EPL and brought an unprecedented era of success to the Arsenal. He and Zizou will always be my 2 favorite athletes. Merci pour les souvenirs Titi!

10. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ALL HAIL THE KING!!!! You will be missed by football fans across the globe, I became a Gooner because of him and The other Invincibles all donned in their era (2002-06) AFC match jerseys sponsored by O2 (I have all 8 of them), but here's what he did here in America just a year ago, ENJOY!!!

THIS announcement now makes EVERY Thierry Henry Arsenal and New York Red Bulls jersey worth that much more on eBay, end of an era, the last of The Invincibles calls it a day!!!

Want proof how much a Thierry Henry shirt will probably go for in just a few months, check out THIS gem I dug up on eBay UK, anyone got 250 UK Pounds Sterling they would like to blow on this one??? It's a GOLD O2 shirt for God's sake!!! (you already know about when and where it was worn.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381056801856?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not only a world class all time great who won everything but a good dude and really humble and intelligent

I look forward to his punditry

12. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he wont be our January signing?

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything you said and also looking forward to his analysis but would never call Thierry Henry humble, even TH14 will disagree with that. :D;)

thebigman and CRASH 4 ARSENAL repped this.
  14. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE BEST GOAL he ever scored in his entire career, and it was against THEM!!!

Merci, and Thanks, King Henry XIV!!!

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  15. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #15 total_football, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    That period, June 2007, when he left was a surreal time for me. I almost died after getting hit by a car and a truck while riding my bike, wound up in intensive care and a coma, lost about 30 units of blood, Somehow managed to survive multiple surgeries.

And there were two weird cultural points I remember after waking up in the hospital while still in the ICU--Steve Jobs introduce the iPhone and TH 14 left Arsenal, "the club that was in his heart" to go win the champions league with Barfa. Of course, if he was doing his job properly, he could've won the champions league in 2006.

I guess from the time he really wanted to get out of London and away from his wife. I just wish he gave an actual shit the Last full year here, when we opened up the new stadium. He just seemed bitter, uninterested and lacodasical. In a sense, she was the first one through the floodgates, the first one who started the "I am ambitious and want to win something so I must leave arsenal" BS. (BS because it was usually never about ambition as it was about money with most of the players who left or force their way out)

I think him for everything he's done for the club, nonetheless. Lots of incredible memories. Overall he presided over a team that played beautifully, stunningly at times: with breathtaking speed, fluidity, grace, and power.

BIGHMW and charlie15 repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you survived that accident and are here with us. I really think he left London to get away from his wife as you mentioned, but totally agree with you as well, he was frustrating as hell to watch his last year. Not very professionnal. Fabregas has a similar demeanor his last year as well.
    TH14 could be a prick and a prima donna at times, but he was our prick and had so much talent that we can and should forgive him. I am so happy I saw him playing live.

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  19. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my highlights was meeting him. A true great and fun to talk to. He's always going to be my favorite.

charlie15 repped this.
  20. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That was so ridiculous. No player today could put two on frame like that in a row.

21. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I wish the video had both of them

Fifty repped this.
  22. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One of my favorite players of all time and why I support Arsenal. His goal against Man U was legendary. Best striker ever in the EPL.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resurrecting this ancient thread to just say 2 things...

1) With the news that they're going to create an EPL Hall of Fame, it's been popular sport to name the first 5 players to be inducted. I was happy to see that both Kyle Martino & Robbie Mustoe on NBC today chose TH14 as #1 pick. They also both chose DB10 in the top 4. Reinforcing what an absolutely top class squad we had 15-20 years ago.

2) TH14 won his first MLS match at the helm of Montreal last night. I'm sure we all sincerely wish him luck (except when he's playing against a team we happen to support) and hope he learned a few lessons from the Monaco debacle.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Giggs and Henry are top 2

vieira Keane and scholes should be top 10

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those 2 nbc pundits both had shearer as #2.

I agree about giggs being one of the first inductees. He's basically my fave united player.