They'll Be Dropping Like Flies -- Re-Handicapping the 2016 Republican Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Val1, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who Will be the Republican Nominee?

1. Jeb(!) Bush

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Ben Carson

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Chris Christie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ted Cruz

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Carly Fiorina

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Jim Gilmore

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Lindsey Graham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mike Huckabee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bobby Jindal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. John Kasich

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  11. George Pataki

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  12. Rand Paul

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  13. Marco Rubio

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  14. Rick Santorum

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  15. Donald Trump

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ted Cruz, America's first openly avowed sapiosexual presidential candidate, is of course going to have a woman on his ticket.

Q*bert Jones III and soccernutter repped this.
  2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Thing is Haley has a credible day job. No incentive to tie herself to a sinking ship.

Fiorina on the other hand is damaged goods ... this is a ploy to keep her name in the spotlight for another 15 minutes. At this point expanding her name recognition is all that's left .... I can see a modest book deal eventually and the conservative speaking tour circuit

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If he wants to look at female CEO's of tech companies whose stock prices have cratered, Marissa Mayer at Yahoo will be looking for something to do soon. At least she doesn't have the stink of Presidential primary loser on her.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is a strange move by a Cruz campaign that I thought was better than this. The timing is pretty awful, the candidate announced doesn't inspire at all, and it doesn't move the needle. Why this and why now?

5. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    And she's a Stanford grad.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Haley, on the other hand, went to Clemson.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    That rooted for Iowa in the Rose Bowl. Against Stanford.

dapip repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ted Cruz has gone full gimmick.

So much for losing with dignity.

superdave repped this.
  9. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I agree with you but I think Cruz might be thinking this will give him a bump in Californi-A:

California Republican Senate primary, 2010
    Candidate Votes Percentage
    Carly Fiorina 1,315,429 56.4%
    Tom Campbell 504,289 21.7%
    Chuck DeVore 452,577 19.3%
    Al Ramirez 42,149 1.8%
    Tim Kalemkarian 19,598 0.8%

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree that he's thinking that, but how much pull does she still have there? She doesn't even live in California anymore.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    In the senate primary, she bested the combined vote for her two major opponents pretty much everywhere except in the Bay Area. She got clobbered in the Bay Area. (Santa Clara -- Silicon Valley -- was her worst county, IIRC.) That's the generous take on what she brings to Cruz.

The not so generous take: what CA GOPers mostly remember about Carly Fiorina is that she's a loser. Specifically that she lost to Barbara Boxer in the general election. So what in that sense does she bring to Cruz in California? The odor of a losing campaign - which he had already.

12. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Fiorina lost in a huge GOP year to a pretty far-left septugenarian who was ripe for the taking in 2010. Then she split the state.

Yeah, Fiorina is real popular in Cali these days.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Remember, she only has to be popular among California GOP primary voters -- which is a relatively small slice of the California electorate. But like I said, even still, I don't think she's terribly popular even among them.

--

I'm starting to think the Fiorina as VP thing has little to do with California. Maybe it's just a sad play for female GOP voters in Indiana. In some way, that's the more plausible and certainly the more immediate explanation.

Hayaka repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it more complicated than that, and some of this is trying for any particular state is not hugely important. This came out very shortly after the 75%+ disapproval rating for Trump by women. He is also thinking of the contested convention, and he will try and spin this as he is already getting prepared to take on Hilary since he seems to have more delegates that will vote for him on the 2nd ballot. Beyond that, I'm wondering if he is also hedging his bets on the next cycle to use this as something in which he can say he respects women in some way.

And let's not forget the, uh, interactions he supposedly had with Fiorina and her staff.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ooooh, yeah. Interactions.

Playa's gonna interact.

Hate the game, not the player...

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Orange Man speaks and its a doozie:

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2016/04/28/john-boehner-talks-election-time-in-office/

2016 Presidential election

Much of the discussion – and laughs – focused on Boehner’s views on the current presidential candidates. Segueing into the topic, Kennedy asked Boehner to be frank given that the event was not being broadcasted, and the former Speaker responded in kind. When specifically asked his opinions on Ted Cruz, Boehner made a face, drawing laughter from the crowd.

“Lucifer in the flesh,” the former speaker said. “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

Boehner described other Republican candidates as friends. In particular, the former speaker said he has played golf with Donald Trump for years and that they were “texting buddies.”

His friendship with Ohio Governor John Kasich, however, was a little more ambiguous.

“[Kasich] requires more effort on my behalf than all my other friends … but he’s still my friend, and I love him,” Boehner said.

Boehner for the most part accepted Trump as the presumptive Republican nominee, though he did express his surprise at the candidate’s success. While he did not praise Trump’s policies, the Speaker did say he would vote for Trump in the general election if he becomes the Republican nominee. The former Speaker said he would not, however, vote for Cruz.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Orange is fine by me. Listen to this board, where every Republican is guilty before acting, and you would have believed that Boehner was the same as Ted Cruz. But you know, he wasn't.

soccernutter, Boloni86 and crazypete13 repped this.
  18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    But he was speaking, mainly for the vocal minority of Ted Cruz's of his party. They controlled/forced the words out of him and made his job impossible, so they were a lot more similar than different.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    But he already has the reptile vote locked up.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You should be more specific because there is more than one orange man these days.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The hair or racoon eyes beats his orange complexion every day. Boehner is orange man.

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What did Colbert call him - Dorito-American?

23. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don't think Ted Cruz does anything "with dignity".

chaski and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This makes me glad I never went to Syracuse.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Unless it was for broadcast journalism, you would have gotten a better bang for your buck at a SUNY.