They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Milpitas, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an oft-injured athlete who got kicked hard in the foot. I don't think he was overselling it, at least for him. If he was someone with a reputation for being especially sturdy/tough, I'd agree.

But this is the EPL. Only handball are guaranteed penalties. Everything else seems much more opaque.

2. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don’t understand the clock

that was minute 57 and he was subbed off in minute 53?

so - regardless of how he reacted - his foot is cleared out from behind (defender did not touch the ball) in the penalty area and no call is made.

Only answer is subjective judgement ….

can always count on specious calls in the EPL - powers that be don’t want Everton to drop down.

nbarbour repped this.
  3. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoiler alert. They didn't call the handball either.

gunnerfan7, Dervos, tomásbernal and 3 others repped this.
  4. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    It was clear as day despite the English “not enough in it for me”…lol.

Dervos and LordofBrewtown repped this.
  5. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not convinced English people actually understand the laws of the game.

superdave, zlatan_but_a_car and Dervos repped this.
  6. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they understand them

they also understand fair justice is affected by subjective judgement - ….

it was not enough of a handball or take down in the box to warrant penalties in the manly game - unless Harry Kane was on the receiving end

just sayin

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were watching the replay I'd imagine.

zlatan_but_a_car and bct81 repped this.
  8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one I thought was a reasonable no-call (though it would be called a pen just as often as not). The handball that wasn't called, though, I thought would surely be a pen after review. The VAR was negligent on that one (at best--and now that I see NF's tweet about the VAR being a Luton fan, it all makes sense why it wasn't given as a penalty).

zanderbz repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I do love the social media drama, esp since NF's fortune really does not affect Yanks much at all, except if Turner is excited to spend another year as an EPL understudy.

In my memory, posts like that, directly calling out any official as a fan of another team as reason for acting in malice by an official account is pretty rare. Can't wait to see the hulabaloo.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  10. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Happened in a Michigan-Michigan Sate football game years back. After much denial that there was anything untoward about the timekeeper being a fan of one of the teams, the league changed the rule…because everyone knows that fans have biases.

freisland repped this.
  11. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Gotta a get a neutral City fan, like Claudio, in as the 4th. I’m sure he’d be totally unbiased. What a disgraceful statement from Forest.

12. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I am not saying that all 3 incidents were penalties, but one of them definitely was, and another one I would have awarded from my view. The fact that not one of the 3 was reviewed by the ref at a monitor is highly suspicious, so I can understand the outrage, albeit the NF statement is over the line; however, the decisions may have cost them the Premier league and millions of dollars.

Oddly enough, the Reyna incident in the box is the penalty I am willing to overlook. It was close, and from a YA fan pov, I wish had been given, but it was close.

The handball one from the CHO pass is given more times than not this season, and I would have awarded it if I had the whistle.

The final shout from the CHO tackle in the box is a stonewall penalty, any day of the week, and warrants outrage. Very odd VAR decisions.

Anyway, as for Gio, I do not know what his next move is. I am not satisfied with his fit in the team nor his minutes, and now that Elenga is back, he'll probably go back to getting 10 minutes here and there. And, even tho I thought he played well, he is not doing anything out there that screams "I must start if you want success."

And if Terzic gets to stay at BvB next season, oh boy.

The Irish Rover, mattjens and Winoman repped this.
  13. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this situation is kind of like the offside on Haji against Wan Bissaka .... it simply can't be so that Coventry would get a game winning goal in ET against Scum. The EPL cannot let it happen. The same way that a clip from behind in the penalty area can't really be a manly outcome. Simply subjective judgement at play ... We have to have City play United in the FA Cup final and we need Everton to stay up. Simple as that.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If anyone in the EPL really cared about Everton staying up, not docking them points for financial BS would be a much easier move.

Casper and majspike repped this.
  15. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    counter-point: The FAPL knew Liverpool were going to shit the bed* in today's Merryside Derby and did it this way to avoid all allegations of conspiracy.

* - I am making this post in the 49'

16. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I know it's the wrong spot for this, but Liverpool look like The Monstars tricked the whole team into touching the ball that steals their talent. IMO, these 3 points will ensure Everton's safety. At the very least, they hold their own fates since 3 of their 4 upcoming matches are against clubs in the bottom 3rd of the table.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    BvB is going to be a candidate to win the Europa no-one-cares League next season.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Reyna on the bench! Nottingham Forest (17th) hosting Manchester City (2nd).

upload_2024-4-28_10-27-0.jpeg

I fell for the teaser … :(

Hobo repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EPL doesn't run the FA Cup. The FA does.

bct81 repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lucky for NF, Luton continues to be awful.

21. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    The only reason Reyna was starting the last two matches was out of emergency/necessity (in Nuno’s mind) due to the Elenga injury.
    With Elenga back, as I expected, we’re back to Reyna getting spot minutes, maybe 20-30 today if we are lucky.

22. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising. Reyna is best when his team has the ball. His team won't have the ball this game.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe 0 if Reyna is lucky - he's likely to get as much time on the ball on the bench as on the field today, esp with Arse winning. Man City has to be perfect going forward to win this thing.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forest have been quite good, unlucky to be down by one goal

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just like that Haaland scores off the bench to make it 2-0; maybe Reyna will see some garbage time.