They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I appreciate all the background detail and don't dispute what you have to say about USSF in general - and the historical situation ... these overseas professional clubs don't give a rats ass about the USSF melodrama. Either Gio develops and produces and helps them out or not. I do find it interesting that Sergio, Malik, Johnny and others have developed quite nicely and have responded to their individual situations with maturity and aplomb.

I think Gio's parents may have hurt him by their influence. Even Tim Weah's father seems to stay out of his career. That is just great. These young athletes just need to develop and grow up on their own. It is not easy for a parent to stay the heck out of the way - but they need to.

Not all of these young players will be successful - and that is just the way it is. John Obrien was amazing and injuries cut short the display of his talent. Malik and Johnny may in fact displace Tyler (injuries?) and Gio (talent?) - that is why numbers abroad in good coaching set ups are so important. There are plenty of great athletes that Gio can look to right now in terms of how to approach his chosen career. It is up to him - not the USSF or Claudio/Danielle or Egg or anyone else - right now. The choice is his.

2. FatRon09

FatRon09 New Member

Arsenal
    Brazil
    Sep 14, 2023
    and terzic, bender and sahin's contracts all go through june, 2025. sounds like a pivot...

3. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I dunno if Gio is a locker room cancer or not but back when his podcast was starting Jesse Marsch mentioned having connections with Dortmund and he very much intimated that there were differing opinions on Gio's rehab from the long term injury a couple years ago which led to some tension between the two camps.

As for Gio and his playing time, end of the day was just a bad fit at Forest. Between tactics and Nuno liking to rotate squads (at least traditionally) Gio faced an up hill battle. Quickest way to get time is to have a great work rate in both defense and off ball. Gio needs to show consistency in those levels... and until he does the playing time inconsistencies will probably continue.

It's why I would have preferred a place like Marsaille who would give Gio more of a leash

4. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13204 Blustar, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024

Second half of the song:
    at 4:43
    We need a Little Gio yeah ...we need a Little Gio yeah

at 5:00 minute mark:

I sleep in locker rooms at night
    Cause my coach said I just aint right
    they said they dont want me around
    but my dad will put their ass underground
    They dont understand whats in a name
    I have more than enough game
    Cause they need me
    Woah they need me

Oh they need me....
    Woah they need me
    One more tiiiime

The Irish Rover and mace repped this.
  5. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Lotsa guessing going on in this thread.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I can't imagine anyone in a big club the size of Dortmund or even Forest caring about the USMNT saga. To my mind the only relevance it has is if there's an underlying attitude that contributed to the US issues that bleeds into Gio's professional demeanor elsewhere - and tbh 100% clear, I'm not saying there is. I got no idea. But some players just rub coaches/management the wrong way, and it can limit their opportunities if they are not able to contribute at a level that makes them "must play." It's too early in Gio's career to have any idea if something in his personality will limit his options - or if he's good enough that his play level will be high enough that folks will put up with him - or if he's just had a string of poor luck at the club level and will soon pop and the USMNT stuff will only be recalled by us soccer nerds.

WrmBrnr and russ repped this.
  7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patience or Patients? As in Gio is always in the injury room?

8. Jonjo Heinze

Jonjo Heinze New Member

Manchester City
    England
    Mar 6, 2024
    There are clubs in the Premier League that would have better suited Gio. He would get into the any of the Burnley, Bournemouth and Fulham squads IMO.

He's not a Nuno player. A part from being congested in his role on Trentside, he would do better under a Kompany, an Iraola, or maybe a Silva. There would definitely be less competition in his role at Burnley.

At the time of his move they wouldn't have suited, but if he is to come back to the league at the end of this deal, I'd quite like to see him at Glasner's Crystal Palace. There are elements to Reyna that will bring Zaha to mind, who Palace have missed dearly since he joined Gala.

He would have been in hell in a Hodgson team, which is why I said the first part, but now they are playing with a different style which he could easily slot into, although I see him more as a winger there, where at Burnley he'd play in the centre, his stronger role.

russ and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Fiorentina. Or, perhaps atalanta. Not sure if Gasperini knows who gio is.

10. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think this is true, thus your following assertion that Europeans are looking at GB as a bad man manager is incorrect.

I wonder if there’s a YouTube channel dedicated to Mourinho rants about his players. :D

WrmBrnr, usnroach and DCU1984 repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Invoking Mourinho's name is pretty strong evidence ... in the opposite direction. I don't think anyone would hold him up as a typical or desirable example of man-management.

I think the average manager may be harshly critical of individual players in the locker room - "You idiot, what were you thinking!" - but in public more general, deflective of individual blame - "One mistake didn't cost us this match, it's a team sport, at times the entire defense let us down," or softer, less critical, even when pressed - "Yes, I agree, perhaps two own goals in a single match was a bit much."

majspike and Jonjo Heinze repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s not what “taboo” means

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    In common usage, that is what it means, not never said, never done. Per Wiki ...

A taboo, also spelled tabu, is a social group's ban, prohibition, or avoidance of something (usually an utterance or behavior) based on the group's sense that it is excessively repulsive, offensive, sacred, or allowed only for certain people.[1][2] Such prohibitions are present in virtually all societies.[1] Taboos may be prohibited explicitly, for example within a legal system or religion, or implicitly, for example by social norms or conventions followed by a particular culture or organization.

The key words are avoidance and offensive. But you knew that. :p

Again, I wouldn't let Mourinho be my guide to what European managers find appropriate.

Jonjo Heinze repped this.
  14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Presented with certainty.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure why I'm wading into this but criticizing players seems a tool that many coaches use on occasion for a variety of reasons. Pep does it...probably at least sometimes to light a fire under a player where ordinary means of reaching aren't working.

superdave, usnroach and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They won't if there are no similar behavioural/attitude problems in the future.

If there are, it'll never stop coming up.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    BigSoccer from the beginning . . .

russ repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    New to European soccer then?

To pro sports too I take it.

superdave repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pep called Kalvin Phillips fat last season.

usnroach and The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Yes, but Google confirms my recollection that Pep was criticized for that. And ...

"The Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, apologised to Kalvin Phillips for saying that the player was ‘overweight’ on returning from the World Cup in December 2022. The apology comes after Phillips gave an interview in which he admitted Guardiola’s comments had had 'a big knock on my confidence'. When asked if he regrets his comments, Guardiola said: 'I'm sorry, yeah, I'm sorry. Once in eight years is not bad, but I'm so sorry. I apologise to him'

Jonjo Heinze repped this.
  21. Jonjo Heinze

Jonjo Heinze New Member

Manchester City
    England
    Mar 6, 2024
    Troy Deeney pretty much got the sack for publicly criticising his players at Forest Green Rovers.

He was probably completely right with what he said about the squad, they were on their fourth head coach of the calendar year and nobody was getting a tune out of 'em, his replacement hasn't done any better and he'd (Troy) only had six games in charge. But it just doesn't go down very well, and it was enough for the club to get cold feet.

Pep has publicly called out other players in his time, namely Ibrahimovic, Yaya Touré and João Cancello. In all those situations he claimed those players had big egos, and they never got apologies unlike Phillips. Pep gets away with things that most other managers can't, though, on account of being the best manager and tactician active in the sport by some distance...

ChicagoVT and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    There's a difference between saying your players are untalented, scared and don't put in the effort, which is what Deeney did, and calling out a specific player for a perceived problem. The first usually gets you the sack, the second may or may not be an issue. I've never seen a team respond well in any sport after being told that they are a bunch of untalented hacks. Deeney should know better and needs to learn from his errors if he wants to succeed as a manager, though he may have a future as a comedian if that falls through.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He should, but he's dumb as a brick and an asshole to boot, so it's no surprise he doesn't.

randomnoise repped this.
  24. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculation that Reyna won't be in the squad again this week. Manager said no changes to the squad and he wasn't seen in the training videos that have been released.

I'm hearing good things about Johnny and Malik these days though...

felloveranddidanadu and usnroach repped this.
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Has he picked up a knock or has he been dropped?

If it's the former, that's bad. If it's the latter . . .