They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. And Giibs-White has been their best player and is basically playing every meaningful minute. I am kind of surprised they wouldn't rest him today given how close they are to the relegation line and w/ a possible point deduction looming... they may end up regretting the lack of rest down the stretch. We shall see.

DCU1984 repped this.
  2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Not if he continues to kill it w/the team while Tillman continues to have blah performances. It sucks, but it shouldn't impact his position on the team until it consistently shows up in performance. Dude had 3 goals and 2 assists in his last 5 appearances, and 2 of those were in big games (2 assists in the NL Final in the first half, goal against T&T while we were heading to squeaky bum time, and a brace against Ghana who are wildly erratic). Tillman has yet to register a goal contribution, ever, for the USMNT. Not a lot of minutes (the total equivalence of 3 starts basically), but still, Reyna's contributed a lot in the shirt in very limited time, Tillman still hasn't broken through yet.

So for me anyway, until Reyna gives us a reason to sit him based on performances in the shirt, we play him.

ChicagoVT, adi21 and dams repped this.
  3. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I TELL YOU, that mighty Nottingham Forest, from the [snicker] awesome EPL wouldn't have been a great place for Gio to go to.

That said, I think I'm now on board with those who believe that all of Gio's career issues are all on Gio being soft.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point he should be in consideration for the Olympics to restore match fitness.

mbar repped this.
  5. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    At this point, why call him in?

According to Transfermarkt, he's had all of 398 measly minutes of play time all season long, with AN AWESOME 39 minutes of time with the massive Nottingham Forest side:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/giovanni-reyna/leistungsdaten/spieler/504215

Other players have been dropped from the USMNT because they weren't playing, to include Brooks, just off the top of my head.

And TBH, if I were Reyna, I wouldn't even take a call up right now; I would try to save my club career from descending into MLS before I worry about some stoopid national team game.

The Irish Rover and ShayG repped this.
  6. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Nobody gets dropped from the USMNT due to a lack of playing time. Playing time is just the easy excuse given when a guy who isn't playing much is left off the roster because the manager doesn't want them around or feel they need them.

Dizi and honest trade repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    there's still time for an England one-time switch...

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Why call him in?

Probably because he is, one of, if not the, most talented young attacking player to ever wear the USMNT shirt and improves the quality of the squad immensely when he is in it.

Really glad you're not making the rosters.

Mt Stone@, Pegasus, Dizi and 5 others repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Guess Nuno has decided to rebel against his Sith master and refuses to play Gio.

10. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    You're an idiot.
    Also, many former women's soccer players are on record saying they absolutely cannot cry like the men do because it would move the women's game back 20 years.

But really, you're an idiot. Get your life together.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13086 Jazzy Altidore, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    It's a joke man, lighten up, don't take yourself so seriously, etc. If you think I'm actually making fun of the women--and not Gio here--you are wrong. And extremely uptight, and likely boring to hang out with.

The Irish Rover and Rossonero23 repped this.
  12. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whole situation is just poor.

after all the coaches he has had - and he has the PT he does - there is simply something we don't see.

at some point Gio is the problem.

IMHO Malik has passed him for the US (yes Malik needs to play better for the US) in terms of the criteria of regular PT for your club. Just the way it is.

Eventually it will become clearer exactly what has happened.

But yes I am with the consensus here that this loan was not a wise decision.

Contrast Gio with Johnny who gets to play for Pellegrini - is clearly a solid main stay in the middle of the team - and is valued .... different players and different positions of course - but Johnny made a darn good decision to go to Real Betis.

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malik has not passed Gio. You were probably one of those people who were saying that X player passed Pulisic, when he wasn't getting that much playing time at Chelsea.

Dizi, ChicagoVT, adam tash and 1 other person repped this.
  14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is what DJ Khaled would refer to as him having "played himself". If I could have one US Soccer wish it would be to have a magic bullhorn that would whisper in all their ears that all that glitters is not gold.

15. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe daddy can cry to the owner and beg him to play gio.
    Perhaps opposition research to blackmail the manager?? Wouldn't put anything past the Reynas.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think it’s safe to say your “jokes” about women aren’t welcome here.

Debates about National team status aren’t either. There’s a whole thread for that in the USA forum.

17. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts. Gio is getting paid 2.5 million dollars a year. Johnny's salary isn't even close to that.
    What team do you think was going to pick up Gio at his current salary? He made a lot of money and wasn't playing. Who was going to take that on? No one outside of the EPL could afford that.
    Some people are under the delusional idea that somehow he'd find a landing spot that would pay his is current salary and give him almost starting position minutes. No idea why anyone thought that was going to happen.
    if so, please list the club he could have gotten this playing time with AND could have afforded to pay his current salary.

18. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    "At this point he should be in consideration for the Olympics to restore match fitness."

With the timing of the Olympics and the European season no meaningful player will be playing in them. More pointedly Gio will not be let go by Dortmund to play in them.

RossD, Khan and dark knight repped this.
  19. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Or maybe, he should grow the fvkc up, and do as Dest did:

Temporarily sacrifice some cash to get the splinters out of his ass.

Dest was on a high salary with Barça, but was riding pine. It is reported that he'd made some concessions pay-wise, so that PSV could fit him into their roster.

Now, Dest is back on the pitch, has mastered playing on the left, and has re-ignited his career.

Contrast that with Gio for a minute. If he's so money-hungry that he can't do what he needs to do to get his ass off the bench, then what is he doing? Who's advising him?

Gio is closer to no longer being a "Yank Abroad," than he is to being just another MLS player, TBH.

20. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Gio deciding to "take the money" is not inherently a bad move. Just look at Adams and Dike. Would anyone bet real money they will still be playing professionally in 3 years? I wouldn't. I don't know the average professional soccer career length but I believe I saw the average NFL career is a tad over 5 years. A player taking a pay cut so they can continue to "develop" with the idea a larger payout will be had in the future is an incredibly risky idea. One that probably rarely pans out for the better.
    Gio is in a hard spot. There is no "ideal" situation. Right now, it's about minimizing the damage. Which means, there will be damage.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest did not make concessions on his salary. PSV and Barca are splitting his salary.

adi21, majspike, bct81 and 3 others repped this.
  22. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Nah, it kinda is a bad and dumb move.

The most important ability for a professional athlete is AVAILability, and he can't prove that while sitting his ass on the bench.

At his age, playing time >>>>>>>>>>>> cash, TBH.

A talented guy who's been capped before he can legally have a drink in the US can expect a decade to 15 years, or even more in the game, IF he can prove his ability and AVAILability by actually, ya know, PLAYING.

And you would be wrong.

Some schmuck named, "Christian Pulisic" took a pay cut in moving from Chelski to Milan, and his career has blossomed from benchwarmer to a key piece for his team. Once again, playing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cash, for a younger guy.

This happens all. The. Time.

Hes already damaged his career by being made of glass, by him not busting his ass in Qatar, and by him being permanently glued to the bench in Germany and England.

Hes gotta play, if he wants a career as a soccer PLAYER. Right now, all he's done is get the best seats in the house for EPL and Bundesliga games.

23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really something we don't see? Many people have commented about his lack of commitment WRT the press and D responsibilities. He also appears to be nonchalant pretty often. Some of that is just perception because he is so smooth on the ball but he doesn't seem to be hitting a top gear when closing down players. Interestingly enough to me is that Tillman can also come off as nonchalant... especially with the ball... but he is making nice sliding tackles and pressing pretty intently this season for PSV. AAR, I think the lack of an option to buy on this loan really hurts his chances of getting a lot of minutes. I am really starting to wonder if his coaches feel like he isn't giving it his all during practices too.?.? All that being said, he is still extremely talented and I wouldn't be surprised if he produced in the NL for his NT and succeeds quickly next season if he gets into a better club situation.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To me, on paper, this looked like a good move and here is why;
    • Nottingham Forest are fighting relegation
      • Under pressure to perform which means the best 11 has to play
      • I believed GIO would have been one of them
    • We know what Gio is capable offensively in little minutes bringing much needed value to their clubs situation
      • if you cannot defend, at least get more goals that the other club.
    • Can showcase in EPL, arguably the world most watched league (including scouts)
    • Could have potentially had a chance to be a game changer and get noticed
      • Medium fish in a med to small pond.
    • Two pretty good outcomes
      • Returns to BVB without Terzic at the helm and has a few more great years at Dortmund
      • Move on to a bigger club or a club of equal size as BVB
    But none of this has happened (yet). I don't know why and I can only assume that training sessions is giving the manager the information he needs to select his starting line-ups and Gio isn't fitting in his strategy.

WrmBrnr and DCU1984 repped this.
  25. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What are you talking about? It's not about talent, it's about staying healthy. He's already had 2 major surgeries. His talent won't go anywhere but his knees, ankles, or hammies could take off at any moment.
    It has absolutely not worked out for Pulisic because he took a pay cut when he signed his 4 year deal with Milan last year. It will ONLY work out for him if he can claw back his lost earnings when he signs his next contract. That is years away. Anyone on here willing to bet serious money he will be 100% healthy and signing a big contract in another 3 years? I wouldn't. I hope he does, but anything can happen in sports. It all has to go ideally for it to pay off. That's not likely.

adi21 repped this.