They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's not looking so good as a late sub maybe because he's getting fed up of not getting more minutes? I'm sure he expected to get something out of his very good run of form on the second half of last season? 5 goals, 2 assists, in very limited minutes.

That usually results in either a nice transfer or a more important role the following season. He got neither, and sometimes it seems he's not trying that hard any more.

Bajoro repped this.
  2. LA Lee

LA Lee Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I’ve sung Reyna’s praises on this forum but given modern football has generally become a high pressing/high energy affair, Reyna’s ceiling will be limited by his “languid”, low energy approach to the game. So he has two options: 1) very carefully consider his next move and join a team that best suits his style of play and can accommodate his “deficiencies” or 2) recognize his shortcomings and put in the effort and work hard to improve his strength, quickness, and endurance. Or better yet, do both.

TimB4Last and russ repped this.
  3. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Both. And spain.

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The way Bynoe-Gittens is playing (3 goals in 3 matches) and Adeyemi coming off the bench and scoring that spectacular goal...Gio has some serious competition. Not gonna be easy. Even Brandt only got 10 min at the end after Reus picked up a knock.

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio can certainly play the winger positions in the BVB formation but he isn't all that well suited for it. Bynoe-Gittens, Malen and Adeyemi are all prototypical wingers... with elite pace and great one-v-one dribbling. Gio is better suited for CM/CAM... which unfortunately, it also pretty stacked on this team: Reus (club living legend, German), Brandt (German NT Regular), Sabitzer (proven vet, two-way player) and Nmecha (young, talented, German and likely seen as their poor man's Bellingham). Even though the latter got hurt, there is just not a lot of space for Gio. The coach obviously rates him below all of these players at both positions (CM/Winger) and it doesn't help that they know he isn't going to extend his contract. In short, Gio is on his way out. We just have to hope he gets a loan move in the winter or even a permanent transfer (more likely in the summer).

Galt repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not Lazy, but Languid: Giovanni “Gio” Reyna at Borussia Dortmund

russ repped this.
  7. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019

Namdynamo, Pl@ymaker, mace and 2 others repped this.
  8. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I can see where it’s a problem given Reus’s age and both of their contract statuses.

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FotMob recently introduced a graphical representation of player output, and their percentile relative to their position, and Gio looks very, very good from that perspective. Clearly deserves more minutes

Bajoro, Namdynamo, mace and 1 other person repped this.
  10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99% in goals, 98% in touches, 93% in chances created, not too shabby

Attached Files:

11. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Too Shabby on a FotMob Graphic: Gio Reyna at Borussia Dortmund

But seriously, he does seem to me to be a very special player. I'm surprised the numbers so starkly back up my lazy opinion (at least the numbers in the FotMob graphic).

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  12. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    So assuming this is per 90 minutes yeah? And did it say over what time frame?

13. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmm, I'd say your opinion is... languid.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty sure a lot of this is due to contract status....club using what
    leverage it has

15. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    twoolley repped this.
  16. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He’s just not playing well, period. At Dortmund he has become a bystander.

He didn’t play well with the national team in the 10 role in the last international window….he looked like a bystander there as well.

If there’s anything a #10 cannot be, it’s a bystander. You have to be a threat at all times.

17. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a given, but in case anyone was wondering, Reyna starts on the bench.

BostonRed and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brandt losing a lot of balls in the hole...I'd move Reus to the middle and put Malen on the right. 60th min, replace Reus with Reyna.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chances are Gio not playing and Tay Booth losing his starting spot will be the two sad notes in an otherwise excellent weekend for our Yanks Abroad.

20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Kinda shocked at what I'm seeing: last couple of minutes, Dortmund denied a clear penalty, Dortmund clearly handle the box for a penalty the other way, and probably right after that a foul going the other way that should have been a card and wasn't. Ref is losing control of the match or close to it.

21. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    And finishes the game there as well. Can’t imagine he would prefer to stay in this situation at his age. Losing growthnexperience every week.

nbarbour, Pl@ymaker and mattjens repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I agree. I'm quite patient because I know clubs don't want to devalue an asset, but in this case Gio needs to move on.

RecLeague Super Sub and twoolley repped this.
  23. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Italy! More of our players there and more likelihood of winning a world cup anyways!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Well, I missed the match, but did not miss seeing Gio. I think we all agree, he’s got to bolt.
    Shame, I’ve enjoyed watching our yanks play in the BvB system the past few years. Maybe another will land there again.

the petty side of me thinks that Dortmund may regret moving Gio or not playing him more when Reus possibly gets even worse next season. But who knows. Hard to slam Terzic when they are doing well in CL.

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BVB may or may not regret losing Gio... and will almost certainly regret lowering his price tag by not playing him... but the thing they will regret the most is not sacking Terzic after last season. You cite the success in the CL but it can't make up for choking last year's title. IMO, BVB success has everything to do with the talent they have accrued via development/transfers and nothing to do with Terzic. With a better manager they would have won the title last year and I think they would be higher in the current BL standings and still in the same CL position. The fact that BVB get embarrassed by Bayern Munich nearly every time they play speaks volumes about Terzic as a quality manager.

AAR... back to Gio. I was on the fence going into this season but now it is clear he needs to go. I really hope being shut out at BVB lights a fire under his @**. So much talent but needs to find the right situation to evolve.