These nations could debut at the 2026 World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Kamtedrejt, Aug 5, 2023.

?

Who will qualify for the 2026 World Cup?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2023.
  1. Uzbekistan

66.7%
  2. Bahrain

13.3%
  3. Vietnam

6.7%
  4. Jordan

3.3%
  5. Burkina Faso

10.0%
  6. Cape Verde

13.3%
  7. Gabon

3.3%
  8. Gambia

6.7%
  9. Mali

33.3%
  10. Suriname

6.7%
  11. Venezuela

36.7%
  12. Finland

23.3%
  13. Oman

16.7%
  14. Zambia

10.0%
  15. Equatorial Guinea

3.3%
  16. Benin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Guatemala

23.3%
  18. Curaçao

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Georgia

10.0%
  20. Albania

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Its the story of Tunisia in africa. Always luck. Last World Cups play off match against Mali, Mali scored the wierdest own goal and Got a Red card

2. pogoss

pogoss Member

Wydad Casablanca
    Morocco
    Jan 15, 2017
    Japan
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    we were in the same group for the 2006 qualifer, they were supposed to play in Kenya before us but somehow managed to change the calendar. we played there 0 - 0 in poor conditions and Kenya got a fan ban for the next match because of it. guess who played them for that game ? Tunisia and they won in an empty stadium with no pressure.
    because of that we had to win the last game in Tunisia and when we were leading 0 - 1 they got a pk and then after we led again 1 - 2 they managed to score a bizarre one :

even their coach couldn't believe it went in

Iran fan repped this.
  3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Now that we've reached the 3rd stage of AFC WCQ I thought I would look at potential debutants from AFC.

Uzbekistan - Have been the next big team since we joined AFC in 2006 but have always fallen short when it counted. This team is a good one and with 8 spots for AFC I think they are the most likely of the debutants to make it. If the do I'm sure the celebrations amongst Uzbeki football fans will be similar to those we enjoyed in 2005.
    Jordan- Another team whose form has been good recently. They fell short in the past as their away form didn't match home form. A good performance in the last Asian Cup will give them some confidence. They have a solid chance, and have moved into pot 2 for the draw which should help a bit, but I would like to see them get better performances outside of the middle east.
    Oman - I think they need to improve on what they showed in the recent Asian Cup. They still have a chance but I would be surprised if they qualify in round 3. If they make it I think it will be through round 4.
    Bahrain - had a great side around a decade or so ago but dropped back a bit as those players aged. Topped a group in the Asian Cup that included South Korea so you can't discount them
    Palestine - A good defensive side that lacks a bit of firepower up front. Capable of being a nuisance to some bigger name sides but unless they find some goal scorers I don't see them making round 4.
    Kyrgyzstan - A new high for them reaching this stage. I haven't seen enough of them to know if they are capable of more but their results of late suggest that they will have a hard time making round 4.

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, OTOH, would like them to get as Middle Eastern a group as possible :D

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If the draw is kind to them the furthest they may have to travel is to Iran.

6. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The CONMEBOL one

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone made calculations on what's the typical points needed to guarantee 6th place in the Conmebol WCQ league?

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No calculations but going on history of 10 team leagues the lowest 6th placed teams were 23 (twice). The highest 7th placed teams were 24 (6th on 26) and 23 (6th also on 23). I guess you would want to get 25 points to feel reasonably comfortable but could squeak in on 23.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  9. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I while back I posted this (in response to Venezuela) every since they went to the league structure:
    They need a lot more than 10. Since CONMEBOL adopted this format 19 has only been enough for 7th (the playoff) 2 years and one was the year without Brazil so everyone had less points that year. 24 would probably be the same number needed. I still think they get there but they have a long way to go.
    List of the 6th and 7th place teams points in CONMEBOL qualifying below:
    1998- 21, 21
    2002- 27, 18
    2006- 24, 22
    2010- 23, 23
    2014- 20, 15 (no Brazil)
    2018- 26, 24
    2022- 23, 19

almango repped this.
  10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Group B of the final round of Asian Qualifiers seems like it could give us a good chance at witnessing a debutant at the 2026 World Cup, unless it's Iraq and Korea.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was going to say we have some interesting AFC groups here:

Group A
    Iran
    Qatar
    Uzbekistan
    UAE
    Kyrgyzstan
    North Korea

This group basically only has 2 potential first time qualifiers, both stans. I doubt Kyrgyzstan will be able to finish in the top two; however, Uzbekistan have a real chance. They've had a good record against Qatar and after so many near misses, they could finally make it. Qatar actually have never "qualified" for a world cup on the pitch so it would be a first qualification of some sort should they make it too...

Group B
    South Korea
    Iraq
    Jordan
    Oman
    Palestine
    Kuwait

This group basically has 3 teams that have qualified before as both Kuwait and Iraq went to the World Cup in the 1980s. South Korea may be the favorites of course in this group but they may struggle especially against Jordan and Iraq who were a thorn on the side of both Japan and South Korea in the Asian Cup. Oman will like this draw; however, they have been pretty poor lately so this may come a little late for them maybe Jordan have the better chance this time around.

Group C
    Japan
    Australia
    Saudi Arabia
    Bahrain
    China
    Indonesia

Bahrain is the only team in this group to have never qualified for a World Cup before if you consider the Dutch East Indies team of 1938. Anyway, it's going to be very tough for either of these teams given the presence of the big 3 in this group.

Note: remember, top 2 qualify for the world cup, while 3rd and 4th teams get a 2nd chance going into a 6 team - 2 groups of 3 stage with the top teams from each group qualifying and the runners up playing off for the playoffs...

almango, Viking lord and Iranian Monitor repped this.