These are the US players that can compete against euro teams

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by jonny, Jul 2, 2005.

1. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    Can compete

Eddie Johnson
    Cherundolo
    Beasley
    Dononvon at times
    Mastreon a very underrated player
    Casey..potential is there
    Onewyuuu..whatever
    Gibbs and that is it

Vanney
    Convey
    Heydude
    Armas
    Ralston
    Berhalter
    Zavagin
    Wolf must all go. Those guys r bad and is killing your team. They dont have the smoothness to play internationally. They run straight and lack futebol instints.

Casey has good potential.. he has good feet and a good hard shot. Ya , ya , he aint scoring for u cabreos , but he has that euro style quailty that is needed to play for ur "can compete" team. matter of fact..he has better technique than Mcbide

2. Treat2506

Treat2506 New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    Ever hear of a healthy John O'brien. Very rare, but probably our most skilled field player when healthy.

3. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Your right, we'd much rather only use the first group of players, unfortunately that doesn't always happen. We also thrive playing with speed and effort so in a world cup we need lot's of quality subs which we are hoping to develop. Many people agree with you that the second group should go but we just don't have enough players without them.

I also like Casey and hope he can start scoring to cement a spot.

4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    your in and out list didn't include a number of solid players. where to do put them? in my opinion, there are at least another 7-8 who easily fit in with the 8 you've listed. in addition to your list, i'd add:

goalies: keller, howard (friedel as well, but he's internationally retired)

defenders: bocanegra (plus cherundolo, onyewu, & gibbs)

mids: reyna, o'brien, lewis (plus mastro, donovan, & beasley)

forwards: mcbride (plus EJ & casey)

combined with the group you listed, it looks like a full team to me (15 players). and, if you're going to include Casey on potential, you probably add in Dempsey as well and Ching once he recovers from his latest injury. these can hold things down until younger guys like Spector, Gaven, Feilhaber, and Adu are ready. aaah, can't wait 'til Columbus....

other than wanting to diss the guys who are in the next group, what's your point?

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your exclusion of McBride in the first list devalues this thread. He's already competing against Euro teams and doing quite well.

6. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    There are some players who are good vs. mediocre competition, but quite useless vs. quality teams. Armas and Ralston come to mind. Casey has been useless against any kind of competition though (at the international level). He's not a poor man's Brian McBride, he's a poor man's Brian Ching.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before this thread goes any further, we need to get a couple of terms defined here:

1) "compete"

What does that mean? Compete as in "not being made to look ridiculously stupid", compete as in "catch a break or two and you might actually win this game", or compete as in "you should be able to beat this team at least half the time on a neutral site"?

Tell you what, on a given day, the US can play with (compete), and beat, anybody.

Yes, you heard that right, anybody.

Including "euro teams"...

Oh, yeah...that brings me to...

2) "euro teams"

Huh? OK, Germany is a "euro team", as is Italy, England, Spain, Holland, etc.

Of course, there are other "euro teams"...

Moldova. Malta. Luxembourg. Andorra.

San Marino.

These are also, by fact of geography, "euro teams"...

I'd wager that you could put me in goal, grab 10 other US-eligible posters off Big Soccer at random and we could probably "compete"...

...meaning "not being made to look ridiculously stupid"...

...against San Marino.

They might win, though...I am, after all 48 years old and don't move quite as fast as I used to.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sick and g-dammed tired of San Marino not getting any respect on these boards!!! Have you seen them play? No.
    Do you know anything about the team? No.

So keep your useless opinions to yourself!

C'mon. I'm kidding. San Merino f-in' sucks. :D

9. kakafan

kakafan New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    what about Adu?! he is the next Pele. :rolleyes:

10. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I agree! The Tarheels always seem to blow it for us. Pope looked crappy in the USA vs England game and Berhalter helped us lose a game against Brazil in the 2003 Confederations Cup.

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    So, an accountant thinks the US team can just suit up eight players. Thats brilliant Mr Accountant. Ooop, a team has 11 players plus 3 subs. Just a minor footnote wouldnt you say. :rolleyes:

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we overvalue some Euro teams and undervalue a handful of players we have. Most of our players have competed and have competed fairly well against Euro teams.It is agreed, however, there needs to be more. We are no longer minows against Euro teams and its ridiculous to think it has been attributed to 3-5 players. We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-18 guys, I believe could survive against all of the top Euro temas week in and week out.

13. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're always going to have a long list of over the hill/overrated players and an even longer list of talented young players that don't get to play until we get rid of Arena.

14. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    fixed your post...you just described a national team in general. Not Arena's fault...I'd say he's not overly conservative (hence Quaranta, Dempsey etc.) yet not dumb enough to abandon experience where needed. You can always argue this or that about player selection, but when it is an important game it is tough to find something flat out wrong with Arena's starting 11.

15. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I disagree about Josh Wolffe. In the friendly that the US played against England in Chicago a month or two ago, he played very well against England.

16. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC

Ok Silver... What has Bruce not accomplished yet that he could have if he had used other players? What... get to the semifinals of the last world cup or have already qualified for Germany?

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others have already pointed out the glaring omissions of O'Brien, McBride, Reyna, and the three 'keepers. Each of these players already have or currently do "compete" against top-level, First Division Europeans on a weekly basis.

Reyna's omission is the most blatant. This is a guy who regularly starts in midfield for a Premiership team. He is the most accomplished field player in US Nat team history. I think he has been sold for the highest transfer fees of any US player ever. How does this not qualify him for a list of players who can compete against Euro teams??? :confused:

18. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    I believe the word for it is oversight.