There's Only 1 Deano - The Dean Henderson Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Sep 21, 2020.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    A lot of what you say is true. Its just that the wages are a big sticking point. But as you say he's been reliable for the most part.

2. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I mean you have a good point. If 8 had to rate each player until this point, id give DDG 8/10. DH gets a 7 out of 10.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you're getting at, as you appear to be (deliberately) all over the shop. But the overarching point is that Dave, due to the nature of his current contract, is going to be hard to move, unless of course we were to write off a large portion of the fee we'd rightfully expect for him.
    He's the highest paid keeper in the game, I believe, AND would still command a high fee due to having many years left on his contract. Who would realistically take that on? PSG perhaps and I believe he'd be way too big of an outlay even for them right now (they were really interested when his old contract was about to run down)...
    Bottom line is, that better or for worse, this is another player we appear to be stuck with right now.

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Why do you say I'm all over the shop?

And how do you know we can't offload him? PSG is the exact team I think of who would take him. Navas is 34.

Juventus may not think Saxcl;hsdh is going to work out.
    Inter's Handanovic is 36.

Etc.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, you seem to conveniently be forgetting that Dave is currently tied down until 2023 at minimum (since there is a club option for another year).
    Guessing that all the clubs listed above would be able to take his wages on (as high as they are already) but not if there is a fee attached to him as well. And how likely would it be for United to just let him go for nothing, when they could expect to get a sizeable fee for him?
    We had a golden chance to move on from him when his previous contract was about to run out. Having signed him to a new, very lucrative one, changes things a great deal...

6. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Because it's a business and makes financial sense to offload his wages? Especially when you have someone who's younger, on a cheaper and longer contract?

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Swap deals are rare but I'd try to work out one with WH if they're legitimately interested in Henderson: him, plus Lingard for Rice (perhaps with a bit of cash going WH's way also).
    Can't send him to the likes of Chelsea or Spurs, that much is certain.

8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We get rid of De Gea this summer of the two. Not even close tbh. The only reason anyone can come up with for not benching or selling De Gea is that De Gea’s contract is really expensive. Is he keeping his money in his back pocket or something?

He’s on course for his worst season for us. If he continues as projected then he’ll have his worst goals conceded to post-shot xG difference. This will be the first where he’s conceding more goals than expected. In his 2017/18 he saved 8 more than expected - this season he’s currently on -1.6.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We need to get rid of De Gea. With greatest apologies to him because he's been immense for us for the best part of a decade, it is time for him to go. He's still a good keeper, but he's no longer a great keeper and given his wages, it is better to cut bait now. It will be cheaper in the long run. Make an agreement with him. He remains 1st choice for the rest of the year (not cups) but he agrees to eat some of his contract and we give him a sweetheart deal on a transfer to spain.

Henderson is not a better keeper than De Gea right now, but he's got a higher ceiling that De Gea's current average. He's much younger and much cheaper and he's a better fit for the club. Not just the age, but his style as well. De Gea isn't an elite passing GK - he makes probably 20 kicking errors a season that either lead to a chance or could lead to a chance. Hendo won't have half as many and he'll command his box which De Gea has no chance of doing.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am hopefull with Henderson, but for me we have to know. Only way to find out if he can do it for us is to give the guy a run of games.

Making a decision on his / DDG future in the summer without testing him properly would be a total failure of due diligence.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The decision on De Gea is made as far as I'm concerned. He's the highest paid keeper and is not at that level, cannot carry him. Maybe try to get 20-30M for him, pay him half the fee or more, let him go back to spain.

Even if Henderson is not what De Gea was at his peak, even if he needs replacing, we can't carry De Gea's salary. His current wages would cover Sancho and Hendo.

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If Dean gets a run of games, DDG is gone. There is no scenario where DDG sits quietly while someone else who hasnt outplayed him gets his job.

It has to be cut throat. But knowing our club we wont. We will be loyal and patient.

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not so sure about that.

I've always got the impression that Ole is cut throat. Definitely. When it's required.

Now, us finding a buyer, that's the part that concerns me.

benni... repped this.
  14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    The fvck do you know about goalkeepers?

J'can, johno and benni... repped this.
  15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think DDG is going anywhere regardless (whether we want him to or not) - we made him this highest paid keeper in the world and the highest paid player in the Prem so we are stuck with him until summer 2023 come what may.

Ole needs to do what is best for the team, which is to find out if Henderson can be better. If he doesn't the money men will make the call for him anyway and sell Henderson in the summer and we will be back stuck with DDG.

Our style of play to some extent suited DDG before - under LVG we played keep-ball, but with a leaky midfield a lot of teams ran through us and DDG proved good at one-on-ones and shots outside the box.

With Mou (and early days Ole) we sat in a low-block, so again lots of fairly low percentage shots to save, many from outside the box and some one-on-ones. It suited his strengths as a keeper and he shined.

Problem is we are more front-foot now, many teams are sitting back more against us now and consequently trying to make things like set-pieces count more (plus our set-piece defending has gone down-hill under Ole). DDG is really bad at commanding his area, it is a weakness of his and having it demonstrated is affecting his confidence generally (his shot-stopping has suffered too). He also looks less comfortable with us now building more from the back, rather than getting it forward quickly like we did when we were just a counter-attacking side.

I suspect that Henderson will command his area better, but I sure would like to know.

I think if we do nothing significant with Henderson he will get sold in the summer - as the offers that come in for him will be too tempting for Ed/Glazers and without games Henderson will want to go.

Father Ted and Chaz Striker repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Henderson was much better at communication as shown in leg 1? i think vs Sociedad. something else i feel DdG has gotten worse at .

maybe he just doesn't care as much anymore or is too comfortable now

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dean Henderson: Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund lead race for Manchester United goalkeeper | Foot a way ll News | Sky Sports

Again, in this day and age where money is scarce, perhaps it's the time to go for swap deals. And in this case, if Dortmund are really interested in Henderson (which they should be when they have Burki atm), then Woodward should be savvy enough to work that into the Sancho deal somehow.
    We'll have to kick in some cash on top of it obviously, but with things as they are currently, it's really high time to start being creative with the assets we have.

Suggested the same yesterday if West Ham wanted Hendo but it does not stop at him obviously. Don't want Pogs to leave but if that how it's fated to go down, perhaps we can try to work with interested clubs to get a great move for a player[s) we need or are interested in.
    Maybe it's something we could do with Kounde also, by trying to dangle Martial Sevilla's way and see if they would be interested. Honestly, it's a way of doing business I'd expect more clubs to look into due to the current economic situation.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol

@johno
    Are/were you also a gk coach?

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Only very light GK coaching, I did play at the highest level (tm) though.

JC7rox and benni... repped this.
  21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The intent of keeping Hendo here this season was to be an audition of sorts and I'd say he's passed it so far. If he continues to do well in the cups and at the end of the season mgmt says lets keep Dave and off you go Dean then what would have been the point of not sending him on loan this season. I don't think he'll want to stick around for another season of being #2 or on loan.

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i'm probably in the minority here but i really don't feel Henderson has proved much at all.

we already knew he was solid enough from his loans. i don't recall anything exceptional from him to say he's definitively better than DdG.

that said de Gea hasn't shown anything spectacular either to say he's going to get back to his peak

CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He's proved that he's good enough that there's not a discernable drop off when he plays over De Gea. And that's good enough for most people here.

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    is it though...?

i don't know that anyone was perfectly at peace with the current DdG in the first place.

even if it is hard to find a true top tier keeper nowadays

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    His loans proved that he has the ability/potential to replace De Gea.

This season, what he has proved is that he won't fall apart mentally when playing for United. I still want to see him at Old Trafford when it is packed with fans, but this season wasn't (just) about his raw ability but mostly about the mental side. In that regard he's way, WAY ahead of De Gea. He's a leader in a way that De Gea has never been, he's dominant in the box and he's vocal.

SF19 and benni... repped this.