There's Only 1 Deano - The Dean Henderson Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hopefully true, all the signs are good with him but only way to know if he can take the pressure at our club and be our future number 1 is to play him - so fingers crossed :)

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

jnielsen repped this.
  3. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am pro Henderson, but I have to say. The way this is all be treated by the club probably isn't helping De Gea and his confidence. Which fine then, bench him. But if you aren't, it's like they are setting him up to fail.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    By giving him competition?

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and J'can repped this.
  5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thought what that was a bizarre post too. If he is that fragile, let him go now even if it cost us.

6. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, definitely think he needs competition. I think he should be gone to be honest with you. But if we are keeping him, it feels weird that they are hyping Henderson's debut the way they are imo. They did the same with his contract extension and they kind of talk about him like he's already the #1. Maybe I just get too many social media alerts, but so do athletes.

benni... repped this.
  7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Despite DDG making a couple mistakes, he's been solid [B+] imo this season. Henderson hasnt done enough in his cameo's imo. Funny thing is, Henderson plays a lot more than I thought he would.

I know it sucks for him personally, trying to make the England squad, but this is the nature of the game. Beat out DDG. Good luck.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yea i'd agree. as annoyed as i am with him (or was) he's certainly been serviceable but it is a worry that he can't shake the mistakes.

i'm not 100% sure if we can live with it though if we're going for silverware

benni... repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think DDG has been bad enough this season to make a straight up transition now for Henderson to be the starter. But another big mistake like the one against Everton and the split needs to become closer to 50/50.

Personally, I think the writing is on the wall for Dave. Hes cleaned up some of the big mistakes but hes no longer making the worldy saves that made him undroppable. If at his best, hes a solid B keeper thats prone to the odd howler, then his job isnt safe. And if we don't start getting Henderson more minutes, he's going to request a transfer in the summer. He doesnt seem like the type that's willing to wait. I would start giving Hendo all cup and Europa games from here out and let DDG take league games until one of them gives you a reason to give them more/less. That will give us a better idea if Hendo is ready to take the reigns next season.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The contract that we gave Dave will give him a very wide berth (highest paid player in the team and one of the highest in the league). He will have to be spectacularly bad for him to lose his place. Not saying that it can't happen but unless we were able to move him, which is now pretty difficult, odds are Dave will keep his place for the foreseeable future.
    Was kind of odd renewing him to such a hefty contract when he arguably was at his lowest form wise, not to mention having a potentially viable alternative waiting in the wings. Now, the club is in a difficult situation whichever way you look, with Dave as explained and with Henderson because he will only be willing to wait for so long.
    Best case scenario is for Dave to maintain a semblance of good form (the way he has this season for the most part) and if anyone, like PSG for instance were to come calling, there should be no hesitation to sell, particularly if Henderson proves ready.

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thats pretty much what's been happening this season, i thought.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought DDG was getting league and Europe and Hendo was getting domestic cup? I could be wrong.

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't think it's as clear cut. i seem to remember Henderson in goal for the Başakşehir fiasco even though we weren't through and DdG wasn't injured.

seems he gets the "easier" games

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think that's a mistake. We won't know what we have with him unless he gets more minutes. And if we try to pull this split against next summer he's going to leave. I'd rather not get stuck with an ageing DDG and whatever senior GK we bring in as backup to replace Hendo.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ole did say he was impatient (not that I blame him, if we're being honest). On a serious note, our handling of both our keepers has left to be desired on many fronts though. From giving Dave such a big contract, to then doing the same with Hendo, on top of bringing him back at the club to be an understudy once again (with limited opportunities and games).
    Something will definitely have to give, sooner rather than later and it will be interesting to see what the club decides on that front.

17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    #FREEROMERO

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be this summer once his contract expires. Another situation we can confidently say that was handled very, very poorly by the club.
    Happy 34th birthday to him as well: shame that he's just wasted a whole year in his career like this...

jnielsen repped this.
  19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If Henderson ends up being a dud, and we sell DDG.... is that worse than if we stuck with DDG and he falls of a cliff and Henderson ends up being very good?

Does that make any sense? Lol

20. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    That's not worse. I don't think Henderson at his current level is a drop off from De Gea. We only have something to gain in my eyes.

benni... repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way though, there will be a (tough) decision to make because it's pretty clear that Hendo is not going to be quiet or content with his current position for too long.

What's so ironic is that him coming back is what gave Dave the push he needed. I think too much is being made of his mistakes this season too. He's made some, no denying that, but by and large he's performed very for us this season and should keep his place for the time being.
    Also believe that the calls to get him replaced by Hendo are coming mostly from English United fans and of course, the press. Dave being foreign is easy fodder for them, as we well know, not to mention there is this (valid) idea that Hendo, if he were to play regularly probably could be England #1 right now. That's why everything that is known about Dave is suddenly been made a big deal now...
    In the end, I really think we've bungled that whole situation and it easily could have been averted. For starters, if Ole had trusted Romero (which he should have) when Dave was particularly shaky in the previous 2 seasons, it probably would have been enough to give Dave the kick in the backside he obviously needed and wouldn't have felt the need to recall Hendo for this season.
    Then signing Hendo to a new contract was fine, provided we had kept him out on loan, for another year or even 2. Granted he wants to play for United but I have to imagine he would have been happy if he was the main guy somewhere else (as he was with Sheffield). Being a backup is what obviously grates him.
    At the end of the day, once Dave was tied down with that huge contract, he was always going to be the main guy for us. And moving him almost became impossible. This was not well thought thru on so many different levels and it's only one more issue that will need to be dealt with, one or another but there aren't many viable options either...

22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    You truly believe, seeing them both play this season, that Dave is that much better than Hendo?

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that overall, it's probably a wash between them. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses but don't believe that one is clearly above the other, as things stand.
    But because of the wages he's on, I don't see a situation where Ole could bench Dave for any extended period of time, unless his play consistently reached abysmal level either...

24. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Then how does it not make sense to offload De Gea?

Also, consider the keepers we have in U23.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    A lot of what you say is true. Its just that the wages are a big sticking point. But as you say he's been reliable for the most part.