There might ba a team in Philidelphia. What should it's name be?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by shibbyskate098, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    You know I'm old school:

Philadelphia Spartans, maroon & gold (loved the old logo with the helmet). But I discovered there's some bizarre rasslin' club using that name at the moment.

Philadelphia Atoms, city flag colors of light blue & yellow as has been mentioned.

Philadelphia Nationals, maroon & gold. In honor of the town's ASL champs from the '40s & '50s.

I second the motion for No Black.

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Philadelphia Freedom was a tennis team and a song written by Elton John for Billie Jean King.

I have a feeling that wouldn't go over too well in Souf Philly, ifyaknowwhaddeyemean.

I think the original proposed nickname of Philadelphia Union FC would be terriffic.

3. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Whatever Philly would use for a name (or any other new MLS team for that matter), I hope that they seriously consider using no nickname. I know that we can't expect Americans to embrace the un-nicknamed-style of European teams, but I think it makes our leage a bit more professional and legitimate in the global scope if we stop using horrible nicknames such as Wizards (and I am a Kansas City fan), Burn, Fusion, Mutiny, Clash, Rapids etc. "Unofficial" nicknames are fine, such as the Gunners of Arsenal, the Red Devils of Man U; but I much prefer simple city names with the occasional "United" attached.

Therefore I suggest simple Philadelphia, or I guess officially Philadelpha SC. Then as someone suggested in an earlier post, the media could refer to them as the "Gunners" in press releases and the fans could use that as an affectionate name rather than an official team name. I hope that all the new teams in MLS adopt this thinking, and maybe the rest of the league will follow.

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia Athletic.

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and their mascot can be an elephant.......

6. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Philadelphia Cheesesteaks

7. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why name it?

If there would be a name it would be philadelphia atoms, but maybe we should just call our teams S.C.

Philadelphia S.C.
    Detroit S.C.
    NY/NJ S.C.

and so forth

8. bennyf118

bennyf118 Member

Jun 5, 2002
    MD
    So if D.C. United went to DCU for abbreviation, would the Philadelphia Union FC suggestion be abbreviated PU FC?

On a more serious note, why throw so many names around before there is even solid evidence that Philly will get a team? Or am I missing something?

9. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was never a proposed nickname for a Philadelphia team, but for Paul Oliu's stillborn attempt to put a team in Trenton, NJ.

Trenton is definitely not Philadelphia, which was one of several issues discussed during Union FC's brief "lifespan."

Nationals would be a good name. Good history...the team was winning Cups in the 1950s with an all (well, mostly)-American, all-Philadelphia lineup.

10. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I backspaced over posting the idea that their SSS be named Shibe Park.

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Wanna go halvsies on buying two New York-Penn League baseball teams and placing them in Cooperstown and Hoboken? I've always wanted to see an ownership group do that and put no nickname on the team: Cooperstown Baseball Club and the Hoboken Nine.

12. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Hearts of Philidelphia :)

never mind...

13. m00kie

m00kie New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Mannheim, Germany
    i've said this before and i'll say it again. if they are ever going to get a team in philly, they should name them FC DELCO. That way they can have a some connection with the youth team. What MLS should do is start building from the ground up with the Elite youth teams in the states. That way the teams get some reconized for what they have accomplished in the last years.

14. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Philidelphia Isotopes

15. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    The Philthies. ;)

Seriously, though... As a DC United fan, it would be cool to have another team just 130 miles away. It would be really good for building rivalries (especially w/ DCU + Metros). I'm not sure how likely expansion to Philadelphia is, but a team there would be make for some good road trips between cities.

16. OKCmetalhead

OKCmetalhead New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    how about the Philly Liberty...kinda cheesy but i actually am quite fond of it. I used to live in N.J. right outside of philly and i think philly definatly deserves at team. Although i am in OKC now to i am rooting for a team out here. peace.

17. Brian32683

Brian32683 New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Boston, MA
    very nice.. someone also suggested the Gunners... and as much as I don't like the real Arsenal, i do like the name.

What about the Rangers, Steelers, Miners? etc, etc

18. Brian32683

Brian32683 New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Boston, MA
    also nice... simpsons much?