There is so much irrational MLS hating among europeans (and eurosnobs) regarding MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pokemoncards, Apr 13, 2006.

1. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxlL2Irebr8&search=mls

A great compilation of goals from the first week, with the talkback full of posts about how much mls sucks. I doubt they would flock to the video and say it sucks if it were another league

Complete irrational.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I can't believe I told those fudgepackers I like Michael Bolton's music.

3. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they may be mocking on the outside, but deep down their blood is boiling :p , I know its just pure jealousy.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: There is so much irrational MLS hating among europeans (and eurosnobs) regarding

I'm really worried about the opinion of the dumb ass who says dat instead of that. :rolleyes:

Also, I like how they can judge the quality of the league based on 5 second goal clip montages.

5. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Remember--Soccer is one prominent area where the rest of the world has a leg up on us Imperial Americans. If MLS does well (or the US Nats), it's one more area of American superiority and dominance. Remember the reaction of Mexicans after we beat them in WC 2002? People outside the US don't want and are scared of a successful MLS.

6. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are our goals Racist? That makes no sense! If they are someone should alert Eddie Johnson, and a lot of other minority players in the league.

7. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    Re: There is so much irrational MLS hating among europeans (and eurosnobs) regarding

I have to agree with one of the comments, the goalkeeping leaves a little to be desired. I was at RFK and the first RBNY goal was most definitely down to Perkins. Youri's FK-from-another-dimension was just a great moment from a great player, altho the two RBNY players stationed in front of Perkins may have distracted him. My hunch is, take those two away, and Youri still scores. But we'll never know for sure, b/c I have not finished my work on my time machine.

But yeah, if that video is mistitled "Best Goals From Europe, week of April 1/2 2006" you'd have a bunch of posters singing Hosannahs.

Dealing with Europhiles (the online variety, that is) is like talking to children.

8. United1

United1 Member

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks to MLS and SUM, Eurosnobs will unite while watching Barcelona play two Mexican teams this summer. This makes me want to get that one-armed freak DC Untied supporter Bernard a ticket to LA and Houston.

9. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    Best response was the one saying that England was better because they have so many 50,000 seat stadiums that are filled. Presently, only two stadiums in England can seat 50, 000 fans (Old Trafford and St. James Park). I enjoy other leagues and recognize that the quality of play is generally better in some of those leagues, but eurosnobs will be eurosnobs and not recognize that live soccer is better than television.

10. Hunter.S.Soccer

Apr 13, 2006
    Tampa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no point in defending MLS to the Eurosnobs. I love MLS, but the fact is that it is not yet on par with many of the European leagues. Most of us know that.

Nevertheless, MLS does provide good, entertaining soccer. If the Eurosnobs cannot find the truth in that, then let them snivel away. They won't stop with their pissy whining even when MLS, someday, becomes a better league then their favorite.

What they should know is this, more and more people are getting their soccer fix from the MLS.

A few years ago, I was excited to be a new subscriber of DirectTV. My excitement was based on the fact that I could now see matches, all from abroad, on any given day. Three years later, I find myself bored with most of these matches and more interested in the younger talent in MLS and the potential of the league.

Whine away, Mr. and Mrs. Eurosnob. Go put on your gray overcoat, sit in your gray stadium underneath your gray skies. The rest of us can choose a bright new future here with MLS.

11. smcg

smcg New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Minnesota
    Well I definantley enjoy EPL and other European leauges the euro snoberry gets really old. So much of it is just plain unjustified.

Atmosphere: Yes, there is no MLS atmosphere thats comparable to Highbery sp? or Dortmund but were not as bad as they make us out to be. Look at E-wood park its constantly more quiet and more empty then HDC. Those Seri A games on FSC aren't exactly impresive either. Many stadiums including Juventus look just as empty or more empty than Gillete, Medowlands, or any of the other non SSS.

Quality of play: Yes,the best games in MLS can't compare to the best games in Europe. But Europe has some real snoozers. Did anyone see the Dortmund-Leverkusen game last weekend. It was a terribly played game. Belive me Chivas-DC was much more attractive.

12. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Buy tickets, go to the games, take a friend who never been. Watch the games you can't go to on television. Watch internet highlights of the games you can't get on TV. Those who want to hate MLS: F*** 'em. As I always tell the players I coach, "Playing well is the best revenge."

13. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    It's true in one way, but for now it's more a question of anti americanism...

I mean everybody hates americans...

For now the level of american soccer is way too low to fear any kind of american dominance...

14. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    Why it's so important for americans to be recognized by Europeans ???
    MLS is for Americans not Europeans...

Do you care about european basketball ??? Just like any american, you think it sucks ...

15. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or NFL Europe?

Word.

16. McGinty

McGinty Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

While I don't think the play in European leagues is at the level of the NBA, there are many good teams, and I think it would be silly to tell European basketball fans to totally ignore their own leagues in favor of a league across a big frickin' body of water.

17. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

Post some European basketball videos, and see what happens...

18. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I post sometimes on polishsoccer.com.
    I know that MLS right now is a better league than the Austrian bundesliga or Polish ekstralasa by leaps and bounds. But, they don't seem to get it.

MLS has 37 international starters. 16 international players involved in this world cup. Neither country can boast those numbers.

19. McGinty

McGinty Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Even if people rip on Euro basketball, that doesn't make over the top criticisms of MLS or European basketball valid.

20. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

Yep, but there's a lot of anti american feelings...

21. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they can see MLS is growing at a pretty substantial pace. I love garber's comment "our aim is to be the #1 soccer league in the world." :D

22. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD

Yes, you told us--"everybody hates Americans."

Like I said, talking to people like this is like talking to children.

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People outside the US, on the whole, don't devote even 1 second a month to thinking about MLS. It's not feared, or even hated, just ignored.

The MLS hating is purely an American thing. It's ignored here because.....well, why shouldn't it be ignored? Fans in Austria don't sit around thinking about the J-League, the club game in Africa or even the league of Russia, so why should they think about MLS?

People over there support big clubs rather than MLS clubs for exactly the same reason why fans in Croydon might support Man Utd rather than Crystal Palace a mile or two up the road - they are gloryhunters. Their reasons for not going to watch their local team are exactly the same.

24. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    We have a serious collective inferiority complex here don't we.

Please everyone like us, please please like us. So much so that "eurosnob" ridiculing people that don't like MLS, might be the most used term on this site.