There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man (United) - The Chase For The Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by FabregasTED, Feb 24, 2011.

1. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]
    ARSENAL
    Date Time Home Away Venue
    Mar 5 10:00 AM ET Arsenal v Sunderland Emirates Stadium
    Mar 19 11:00 AM ET West Bromwich Albion v Arsenal The Hawthorns
    Apr 2 10:00 AM ET Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers Emirates Stadium
    Apr 9 10:00 AM ET Blackpool v Arsenal Bloomfield Road
    Apr 16 10:00 AM ET Arsenal v Liverpool Emirates Stadium
    Apr 23 10:00 AM ET Bolton Wanderers v Arsenal Reebok Stadium
    Apr 30 10:00 AM ET Arsenal v Manchester United Emirates Stadium
    May 7 10:00 AM ET Stoke City v Arsenal Britannia Stadium
    May 14 10:00 AM ET Arsenal v Aston Villa Emirates Stadium
    May 22 11:00 AM ET Fulham v Arsenal Craven Cottage
    TBD Tottenham P - P Arsenal White Hart Lane

MANCHESTER UNITED
    Feb 26 10:00 AM ET Wigan Athletic v Manchester United DW Stadium
    Mar 1 2:45 PM ET Chelsea v Manchester United Stamford Bridge
    Mar 6 8:30 AM ET Liverpool v Manchester United Anfield
    Mar 19 11:00 AM ET Manchester United v Bolton Wanderers Old Trafford
    Apr 2 10:00 AM ET West Ham United v Manchester United Upton Park
    Apr 9 10:00 AM ET Manchester United v Fulham Old Trafford
    Apr 16 10:00 AM ET Newcastle United v Manchester United St James' Park
    Apr 23 10:00 AM ET Manchester United v Everton Old Trafford
    Apr 30 10:00 AM ET Arsenal v Manchester United Emirates Stadium
    May 7 10:00 AM ET Manchester United v Chelsea Old Trafford
    May 14 10:00 AM ET Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United Ewood Park
    May 22 11:00 AM ET Manchester United v Blackpool Old Trafford

Business end of the season. Arsenal have 11 matches left, United have 12. The current gap between 2nd and third means that it's more and more looking like a two horse race, though it would be perilous to count out Chelsea and City just yet. Manchester United can attain a maximum of 93 points, and while they have by far the toughest run-in of the championship contenders, it's hard to imagine them dropping seven more points than City, nor six to Chelsea.

It's impossible to predict what will happen week to week in the Premier League, but looking at Arsenal's schedule, every home game for the rest of the season (there are only five!) is a must win game. They have to defeat those teams at home, including United and Liverpool, in order to close the gap. It's unfortunate that Arsenal didn't take care of business vs. Newcastle and a West Brom side that turned out to be dreadful earlier in the season, yet here they are still within range.

If Arsenal take care of business at home, their away schedule, while tough, is definitely favorable. Trips to Blackpool and West Brom are must wins, even though Blackpool are a decent side. The matches at Bolton and Stoke will of course be physical affairs, but Arsenal have shown the fight and desire this season to go to both places and get a result.

What's left then is two London derbies, one at Fulham and the other at Whte Hart Lane. The Spurs clash hasn't been scheduled yet, but could well fall between Cup weekend and the final week of the season. What a spectacle that could end up being.

Manchester United have matches remaining away to Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. They also have to play Chelsea at home. Big time clashes that will go a long way in deciding who takes the title. Arsenal have to make sure they're in position to take advantage of any points United might drop in that period.

This could be one of the most fun and successful three months in Arsenal history. Let's hope the lads and the gaffer are up to it.

[​IMG]

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have high hopes that United's thin midfield and lack of fit wingers will start to show here soon. I think they've been punching above their weight all season. They still have a lot of class, though, and have been there before. Never underestimate the importance of experience.

4. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What seems exciting to me is the prospect of March 1st-19th.

arsenal can take 3 at sunderland and should. manchester against chelsea and a re-invigorated liverpool side BOTH away games, which manU havent had the best form at.

both chelsea and liverpool have a point to prove, both have comparable if not better midfields than manU and both have new signings up front that would relish the chance against fergies side.

hypothetically its a recipe for dropped points. whether they get 2 from 2 or 0 from 2
    putting them at 59 or staying at 57 which would be insane. but either way

we have the chance to pull a full game ahead of them, something that they have had on us all season.

and we can get by sunderland and west brom (which in the past smaller teams have given us problems admittedly) putting us at 62.

of all the portions of the schedule I feel this is absolutely vital. we will not have a better chance of manU dropping points than that two weeks.

Then we arrive at the bolton game if said scenario has them at 59 come the bolton game even with a WIN they will only be level and we will have a game in hand.

thats why those two weeks are the most important in my opinion.

EDIT: I did the predictor and arsenal wins based on Goal Differential lmao.

arsenal
    manu
    man city
    chelsea
    tottenham

5. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If we're healthy we should win most of our remaining matches.

I know we want to win everything we can, but if we win the League Cup on Sunday I'd like to see us prioritize the League and CL ahead of the FA Cup, especially seeing how we have to play United in the next round.

6. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IMHO, that could back fire aganist us. A defeat to Man Useless, even with playing the 2nd team in the FA Cup 6th round, could undo any confidence gained by winning the Carling Cup. However, if we were to trounce Man U at their own stadium, the momentum shifts to our advantage. I say we go for it. We have more to gain than to lose.

As far as the CL, we will go to the Nou Camp and play our hearts out. Whatever happens there, is in Fate's hands.

7. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    all we can do is just keep winning and hope united slip up in another game on top of ours.
    their luck has to run out sometime.

8. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    To be honest as much as i want to best barca, im more impressed at the possibility of winning the league, carling and the da cup. I say we go for it and let whatever happen in the camp nou happen. All or nothing. We can win it.Cmonyougunners!

9. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    you know, if you asked me would i take 2nd in the league and winning the cl, or winning the league and not winning the cl, i *think* i'd plump for the cl, just this once, ONLY because it's the 1 trophy we have never won (being pedantic we haven't won the uefa cup, but we did win it's immediate predecessor) and have spent so much time and energy trying to win over the last decade and a half. to do it by beating barca on the way would be particularly satisfying.

ps. this is probably the one and only season i might persuade myself of it.

10. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the match at white fart lane is scheduled for april 20th. probably a little to early to clinch the league, but would love to settle for st. totteringham day.

the table/schedule will become a lot more interesting after the march 19th round of games. i believe there is interlull then, and we'll know who has progressed in the CL and FA cup. this year, i think we can handle additional games without sacrificing, while man utd would struggle more with added matches.

11. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll get flamed for this, but we should lose to Barca, despite mullering them in the first leg. I think this because:

- I can't see us winning the CL under Arsene, though we have a far better chance under his successor.

- The extra games would ******** us up.

- If we concentrate on just the EPL and FA Cup, then we have less to worry about. It's likely, though perhaps not totally certain, we will play United in the QF. If we beat them, then we gain the psychological edge, and the FA Cup is more or less ours. The only other team of note after that would be City, and they pooed their pants by getting every man behind the ball at our place, so no match with us.

12. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bizarre.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many years in row has Arsene led this team past the first stage? How many years in a row has me made the quarter finals? And once you answer those questions, tell me how many times his hypothetical successor has done it.

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he got this right. ;)

15. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure AW has a "road map" for the next month of Trophy chasing games. But that's all it can be. A general "roadmap". Think about how dynamic this "map" has to be, changing constantly based on injuries, other teams results, our teams results, waxing and waning player performances etc. I don't envy AW with this task as he will be "under the gun" big time. From my standpoint, there are way too many variables to try and analyze every scenario. It can't be done. Sit back and enjoy the Ride!!!

16. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's just a hunch. Don't let others' honest and innocent opinions phase you. ;)

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not bothered. I don't think Wenger will leave until he wins the Champions League with Arsenal.

18. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    lol... well played sir.

19. ThreeUpTop

ThreeUpTop Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Valley Forge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope you're right, and deep down believe you may be.

Also, put me in the camp that I would "settle" for the CL this year over the Premiership. I want us to take everything one match at a time with a philosophy that we just have to win the matches we're given and it will all work out for a Quad. But I see no shame in a season where we win the CC, make it to the QF of the FA Cup, finish a close second in the EPL, and win the CL. I just think it's time the European Champions resided in London and I can't stand the thought of it ever being Chelsea before us.

20. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Chase for the Championship.... isn't that a thread for Wolves, West ham, Wigan, West Brom etc? :D

21. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hahaha. We all missed that.

22. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dude, if you are going to drop a bomb like that, at least provide some data that supports your hunch.

23. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    ooh ooh ooh, you must know who's going to replace him then, who is it ? tell me!

24. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    lol, you phrasing and timing win again

25. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks bro. We'll have to catch a match together one of these days. Ever been to a European away game?